Microsoft Xbox Reveal Event - May 21, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed.
I'm sure some things can be done, but low latency Dependant stuff.. yeah.

It's not just about latency but about a LOT of data. Some of that might be duplicated on the cloud servers' local storage though, even for like the entire game catalogue, stuff like textures, physics models, the really memory intensive stuff. But a lot of the actual interactive stuff you want to be involved in the events around the player would have to be sent to the cloud.

So I don't yet see what we should be excited about here. But the devs may already have things working.

Indeed.
I'm sure some things can be done, but low latency Dependant stuff.. yeah.

Might explain why in that CoD Ghosts demo I saw the foliage and trees didn't move (waving, like e.g. Crysis 3).

It still has to be processed in the cloud ?!?!?

The whole reveal felt like a Microsoft advertisement of a cooler kinect, and a nice dvr.

To me it looked like MS is pouring an order of magnitude more money into the entire Xbox One project. There may be similar spendings on the games but they aim far, far higher than Sony is with the PS4, and some of the tech and business steps they've managed to take are seriously impressive.

A possible use for Microsoft Azure's servers would be to create cloud server apps that serve as MP servers, instead of publishers having to maintain their own online server infrastructure.

I'm not sure if it would be as liberating for the consumer as say LAN or dedicated servers, but it would simplify things from the dev and publisher POV. They could retain the right to poison-pill the cloud server platform, and the game discs would not have the code (otherwise players could make their own server).

This guy seems to be trying really hard to sell the cloud computing part.

I can just imagine my bandwidth usage.

listening to the software engineering that is going into this I do not see how PS4 can have nearly the OS features as this... could be huge to the average users..

YEa yea yea "for NA/ , Europe, offline players screwed... blah blah blah...

this gen is probably going to be 10 years /the cloud computing. a lot will change world wide by then, we are not just talking about what's up now.

They have "5 pieces of silicon split between the console and the Kinect." -- custom pieces, that is.

Pfft... easy

CPU SoC (1) -> south bridge (2) -> some PCIe or USB peripheral IC (3) with USB PHY going to a proprietary connector -> another USB peripheral IC (4) or USB PHY -> Kinnect SoC

I would use "architecture" in architecture panel rather loosely... Or at least don't think of it as detailed specifications.

Anyone else thinks MS come up with the cloud computing when they knew they were going to have a less powerful console?

"Ok, we don't have an 1.8 TF GPU, but we have the clouddd"

To me it looked like MS is pouring an order of magnitude more money into the entire Xbox One project. There may be similar spendings on the games but they aim far, far higher than Sony is with the PS4, and some of the tech and business steps they've managed to take are seriously impressive.

Interesting comment, can you elaborate?

Not sure. Fact is Sony is doing a games console with social "crap" (nonsense) and media playback, MS is doing a living room thingie, which also happen to play games.

I already have a HTPC hooked up to my TV and a STB and don't give a thing about all those content etc. social stuff. Just want to play games on the big screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back