News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck those people. Seriously. There are 300 million Internet users between North America, Europe and Asia.

Lol, can I get a "hallelujah?!?!"

Those with NO internet access aren't the "target demographic" anyway. I dont know who's buying a $200-$500 game console, plus games, and doesn't have an internet connection.

I think it's a little oversized.
It's "oversized" to reduce the noise created. The blower in PS3 phats is 160mm dia. for this very reason (and the console was very quiet despite launch units drawing ~200W or maybe more, I don't remember exactly.)

Fuck those people. Seriously. There are 300 million Internet users between North America, Europe and Asia.

Exactly! I certainly wouldn't want mobile tech to stop advancing because people in rural areas have little to no coverage. Why the hell should a console designed for 5+ years be catering to those with primitive on inadequate connectivity means.

Sucks to be them.

It's "oversized" to reduce the noise created. The blower in PS3 phats is 160mm dia. for this very reason (and the console was very quiet despite launch units drawing ~200W or maybe more, I don't remember exactly.)
That sounds very reasonable to me, I hadn't thought about that.

Besides that, they could make a smaller box if they wanted, but perhaps it just costs more to make things smaller. Had Microsoft developed it smaller, they would lose a lot more money, I think.

Maybe in the future when 22nm becomes the norm, a smaller power supply.. smaller hd.. smaller fans, etc. etc, could be possible.

When I saw the console I thought it was that large because the rumours about upgraded specs were right.

This thing should be super cool. Phase change interface with 140mm fan, 100W TDP on the APU and no internal power supply. I imagine pretty quiet too. No red rings. The cooler is technically exciting and I like the box (big as it is). Controller looks even better than 360, which I love. I need to see some amazing exclusives to be convinced about its viability as a good platform early on though.

Can you account for a GPU speed bump and the confirmed 768 operations per second? I'm fuzzy on the math behind it so I'm genuinely asking and not implying.
768 ops/clock * (1 mul + 1 add) * 800 MHz = 1.2 TFLOPS.
Like I said, I'm of the opinion there was no clock bump.

OnLive does the whole game in the cloud with acceptable lag - so pretty much whatever they want.

The ability to offload everything off to another server and deliver only video to your console is very different from offloading computation tasks to the cloud.

For example, you wouldn't, and shouldn't offload video decoding of a in-game cut scene to the cloud and have it return uncompressed video back, but it's perfectly fine if the entire game was done on the cloud.

768 ops/clock * (1 mul + 1 add) * 800 MHz = 1.2 TFLOPS.
Like I said, I'm of the opinion there was no clock bump.

Thanks, I wasn't sure of the math for a GCN based part's FLOP count (at least I'm assuming the 1 multiple plus 1 add is standard for GCN, based on what I remember).

So, in other words, if the memory bandwidth was really increased it had to come from other means. The main memory has pretty much been confirmed through pics, so that leaves the ESRAM, some all new component, along with some potential "fuzzy math". :LOL:

By the way, did you see anything (service or feature wise) you weren't expecting?

OnLive does the whole game in the cloud with acceptable lag - so pretty much whatever they want.

But it is not sending the computed data back down piecemeal to be used in local software. It is rendering the completed frame and sending it. What will a game do when the required data gets delayed on its trip? What if it is lost completely?

But it is not sending the computed data back down piecemeal to be used in local software. It is rendering the completed frame and sending it. What will a game do when the required data gets delayed on its trip? What if it is lost completely?

The same thing an MMO does? These really aren't new problems, are they? While "lag" in a single player game might be new in a sense, the way a game handles it should be the same, shouldn't it?

Phase change interface
Probably just a vapor chamber, that isn't really anything spectacular technologically. They're basically just a flattened-out heatpipe type dealie.

The cooler is technically exciting and I like the box (big as it is).
Really disappointing IMO to not have internal PSU with such a ludicrously big box. Sony can at least build proper hardware. External bricks clutter up the floor, gather dust and look unsightly. They're also a bit of a fire hazard since they're generally not actively cooled, and since they sit on the floor they can easily get gunked up by dust, pet hairs and so on if there is a fan in it (only 360 brick has one that I have ever seen...)

Controller looks even better than 360
Yeah, it does look quite yummy I must say.

This thing should be super cool. Phase change interface with 140mm fan, 100W TDP on the APU and no internal power supply. I imagine pretty quiet too. No red rings. The cooler is technically exciting and I like the box (big as it is). Controller looks even better than 360, which I love. I need to see some amazing exclusives to be convinced about its viability as a good platform early on though.
Well, as a platform Xbox One is the farewell to the Xbox -RIP Xbox- :oops: as a classic videogames' console.

Sony and Nintendo are still supporting the classic model of consoles, and they are bind in that sense. Microsoft might be their rival in their eyes, and they could join forces in a way.

But I think that for MS the true rivals are Google and Apple, if you take into account the design of the Xbox One.

Thanks, I wasn't sure of the math for a GCN based part's FLOP count (at least I'm assuming the 1 multiple plus 1 add is standard for GCN, based on what I remember).

So, in other words, if the memory bandwidth was really increased it had to come from other means. The main memory has pretty much been confirmed through pics, so that leaves the ESRAM, some all new component, along with some potential "fuzzy math". :LOL:

By the way, did you see anything (service or feature wise) you weren't expecting?
I think bkilian deserve my praise. Our trust on him was well placed.

There were moments I thought he might be trolling us 'cos new rumours contradicted the specs, AND he was under NDA, so he could have easily played with us if he wanted to. My thanks and my hats off to you bkilian.

Yours is not normal internet behaviour, lulz.

The same thing an MMO does? These really aren't new problems, are they? While "lag" in a single player game might be new in a sense, the way a game handles it should be the same, shouldn't it?

They sound new to me, MMOs don't do physics calculations and send results to local computers, they send meta-data like mob position. They don't do it to offload the local computer, they do it because they are serving hundreds of other players which need the same shared data. How can a dev who needs more FLOPS in a single player game use something unreliable with random latency?

Maybe I'm missing the point of MS's cloud features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back