News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really do hope they nail the final specs of the next Xbox down perfectly. it would suck to have all of those nice tech demos thrown away into archives as fake next gen publicity. honestly i hate that the most. the Game changer is now! not when i'm an old fart!

I really do hope they nail the final specs of the next Xbox down perfectly. it would suck to have all of those nice tech demos thrown away into archives as fake next gen publicity. honestly i hate that the most. the Game changer is now! not when i'm an old fart!
This seems to be the final name of the new console. In my opinion, it is the name that sucks less, compared to Xbox 720, Xbox Gold, Xbox Loop, etc.

After what has been a period of prolonged silence from Microsoft and after a huge amount of rumours and speculation over the past months, it's nice to finally know the name and I expect they will probably reveal the hardware of the console. We can stop using the ridiculous, kind stupid Xbox 720 name or referring to it as the *next Xbox*

WS6ikqe.png

I rather prefer this name because it sounds more interesting and fun. Also, I remember one of my favourite reviews ever about one of my the first games I ever played as a kid and the review described that game as "infinitely fun".

And whats the next one going to be called. Infinity +1

Ms and their paranoia about playstation having a higher number is like arguments 4 year olds have

This seems to be the final name of the new console.
Oh dear. 1) It's hard to talk about. Xbox Infinity, 6 uncomfortable syllables, and the obvious contraction XBI sounds like a covert government special ops law enforcement agency. 2) It's the extreme of hyperbole! We know 360 was chosen so as not to be one count behind PlayStation, and now they are jumping to the highest 'number'. It probably wasn't as that perennial playground argument "+1, +1, infinity," but it looks like it. I'm sure they could have come up with a better name that suggests limitless possibilities. The Dreamcast name was definitely successful in that respect.

Yeah that name would be a friggin mouthful for sure, if true. Then again, "wii u" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue either, so... ;)

How does "xbox infinity" work in asia? :p Or has MS resigned and just written that market off right from the start this time?

Yeah that name would be a friggin mouthful for sure, if true. Then again, "wii u" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue either, so... ;)
And it flopped, after I complained about how rubbish a name it was. :yep2:

How does "xbox infinity" work in asia? :p Or has MS resigned and just written that market off right from the start this time?
Don't they just use the English name?

usually in asia they use the english name but with their own local pronounceation

in japan its also the english name right? Puraishutashooon shuri (playstation 3) ekusubokusu sanrokumaru (xbox 360) wii yu (Wii U)

there also rumor that the xbox 720 will be called "xbox" to simplify things. or... New XBOX ?

From what I've read on the web, they use the English numbers too (discussion about the '4 == death' issue said the Japanese just use Two, Three, Four in the names).

Oh dear. 1) It's hard to talk about. Xbox Infinity, 6 uncomfortable syllables, and the obvious contraction XBI sounds like a covert government special ops law enforcement agency. 2) It's the extreme of hyperbole! We know 360 was chosen so as not to be one count behind PlayStation, and now they are jumping to the highest 'number'. It probably wasn't as that perennial playground argument "+1, +1, infinity," but it looks like it. I'm sure they could have come up with a better name that suggests limitless possibilities. The Dreamcast name was definitely successful in that respect.
My favourite names for a console of the past are Megadrive and Turbografx. In regards to Xbox Infinity, it's a matter of taste. I kind of liiiiiiike it.

After naming the current Xbox as Xbox 360 -from the previous Xbox 1-, I expect next Xbox name to go with an enormous number like infinity.

The rumour has more credibility because the images appearing on the web have been promptly taken down.

Here in the forum we have drawn parallels to the striking resemblence between the typical infinity symbol and the 8 in Windows 8 laying on its side.

Also this webpage has a mysterious countdown:

http://xbox-infinity.es/

EDIT: This countdown webpage has been confirmed to be fake by people who know their stuff; the graphic logo is deformed -out of proportion-, the code has a typo ("comming" instead of coming), and the infinity symbol is pixelated. The webpage is very amateur, design wise, and people found out who is behind this domain --I could provide you with a link but I don't want to publicize anything about this guy tbh.

Last edited by a moderator:
i agree with a gaf commenter, that if it's less than ps4 as rumored, they'll just say 8 core cpu, 8gb ram, and custom AMD gpu.

all those specs dont reveal any deficiencies vs ps4, while still giving them some obligatory specs to reveal.

It would be very stupid not to mention the specifications in detail.It's not something you can hide.
The dev of third-party one minute after the announcement of the next xbox will begin to make comparisons with the ps4 in various interviews.So it is better to be the same MS to talk about it.

there also rumor that the xbox 720 will be called "xbox" to simplify things. or... New XBOX ?

MS could just call it Xbox 720 given that this name is already popular.
Simply calling it "Xbox" would be a mistake IMO because they need to make clear that it's a new console, a evolution.
Xbox Infinity is a good name IMO but Shifty Geezer pretty much nailed all its negative aspects.

If I had to suggest a name I would suggest "Xbox Next"

Rubbish. Devs are under NDA, and they don't want to offend the console company. So like we had Wii U talk saying, "it's a quite a powerful little machine," and, "the CPU isn't quite as strong as we'd like but the GPU is very capable," and general nondescript reports on the hardware, we'll only get politically correct feedback from devs (how many went on record and said Cell was a good awful mess, for example?). There's zero point in publicly reporting your machine isn't as powerful as your rival. Leave that to rumours and the niche that care about those thing. Focus your marketing on your experience and value irrespective of specs. Only a tiddly percentage of the market cares, like other CE devices as I've mentioned. When was the last time you bought a car on horsepower, engine weight, chassis material, blah blah? When was the last time you saw a car advert that dealt with specs instead of image or value? Or a watch? Or a camera? In fact specs are counter-productive to business, because if you can sell a product with a more prestigious image despite it being cheap to make, advertising it's lack of quality robs you of that image. You only use the specs when they are part of your strategy (high specs), or an essential part of the consumer language when comparing products (megapixels, GHz).

Seriously people, just accept it! The specs are of no interest to anyone outside the technologically curious, who are of zero importance to anyone's business strategy.

^^^
Well a lot of devs publicly said that PS3 was hard to work with and express disappointment for the architecture
It was/is not a well hidden secret by any mean.

Of course that didn't affect sales much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Different direction: What's the possibility we might see some mobile technology being used in the console? How about Qi wireless charging in the controller? Maybe the wireless charging pad is built-into the top of the console case? Or what about a NFC-enabled controller for payments like the Wii U Gamepad? Couldn't NFC be used for sending data between controllers or even phones/tablets? Could be some interesting uses.

Tommy McClain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back