News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holographic telepresence is that thing they talked about in the Nvidia presentation. Translating your face into 3d animation data and the user on the other end sees a 3d animation of your face.

I am sure its a little more than that as its basically realtime holographic projection. Probably used with the HMD glasses and Kinect.

Apart from our beloved bkillian :) some Microsoft employees admit that they are -or have been- working on the next Xbox.

One of them mentions the term Holographic Telepresence, whatever that is, and revolutionary 3D features.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/microsoft_employees_were_working_on_the_next-gen_xbox.html

Is that basically the same as this rumour?
There is a good news for Xbox lovers, especially those who are waiting for Xbox 720, the next generation gaming console from Microsoft. The US software giant has developed a unique User Interface which will let users enjoy a 3D experience with wearing any glasses. The system is based on an advanced Omni-spatial Gesturing input mechanism. The PatentBolt reveals that the new system could be applied to a wide range of devices like TV, smartphones or mobiles and gaming consoles. "The new gesturing technology is intended to provide users with a superior means of executing hover based gesturing on future devices that are accurately delivered on both regular and 3D user interfaces," the PatentBolt further said. This would be a big move as far as gaming console is concerned as the rival PlayStation 4 gaming console is at its peak of fame due to its marvelous hardware specs and games likely to be the part of the console. This unique invention by Microsoft will definitely give an edge to Xbox 720, or whatever its name is, over PS4. Both of the gaming consoles are likely to be released in fourth quarter of 2013 with fans of both the devices are eagerly waiting for the next generation consoles. The company further says regarding its new technology that it could possibly be used in video game controller used by a user to affect objects displayed by an external display like TV or somethine else. "Based on the first input (e.g., a rotation, a pinching, an elongating gesture), an object of the UI may be manipulated with an appropriate transformation (e.g., rotating the object, compressing the object, stretching the object)." So Xbox lovers here comes a great accessory with your loved gaming console.

Apparently there are MS Research projects similar to this.

Is that basically the same as this rumour?

Apparently there are MS Research projects similar to this.
that article is gobblededook. the patents wasn't talking about "a unique User Interface which will let users enjoy a 3D experience with wearing any glasses." It read like the Leap Motion for tracking hands in space. Technically, holographic telepresence would have to be like Star Wars (augmented reality would count), or maybe a holographic 2D screen displaying a video feed. That's unlike anything else we've heard from MS, and not something I'd associate with the consoles. It's not going to be some cheap console add on. As the report mentions that research didn't come under the XB umbrella, I don't see why people are trying to connect those dots.

that article is gobblededook. the patents wasn't talking about "a unique User Interface which will let users enjoy a 3D experience with wearing any glasses." It read like the Leap Motion for tracking hands in space. Technically, holographic telepresence would have to be like Star Wars (augmented reality would count), or maybe a holographic 2D screen displaying a video feed. That's unlike anything else we've heard from MS, and not something I'd associate with the consoles. It's not going to be some cheap console add on. As the report mentions that research didn't come under the XB umbrella, I don't see why people are trying to connect those dots.
I think the patent takes this as a frame of reference, but I am not sure if the video is fake or not. It may be well fake, but there are some screenshots from patents that suggest otherwise.

The aforementioned screenshot:

fortaleza.jpg

This article explains the roadmap of some tech patents:

http://tech.ihned.cz/hry/c1-5617583...ce-novy-xbox-ma-stat-300-dolaru-prijde-za-rok

Whatever the article's reasoning, it's utter hogwash. Illumiroom has zero to do with the patent for interfacing with a 3D space. Illumiroom does not provide glasses-less 3D. And your second image also doesn't provide glasses-less 3D. Furthermore, neither is going to be a standard feature of XB720 due to cost/setup constraints. So where does the author of "a unique User Interface which will let users enjoy a 3D experience with wearing any glasses" get his ideas from, and what is the connection with other research performed at MS (which is a bigger company than just XBox, despite certain fans' belief to the contrary)? Even your Czech link shows a roadmap extending beyond 720 into a future with 3D screen projection, and that's a roadmap with features on XB360 that haven't materialised (TV app on 360, phone and PC in 2011, followed by XTV in 2012). There is nothing connecting any of these ideas except their origins at MS and a lot of half-baked reasoning from the media. The correlations being found between a person's resume and what the next console will entail are lacking basic common reasoning.

Whatever the article's reasoning, it's utter hogwash. Illumiroom has zero to do with the patent for interfacing with a 3D space. Illumiroom does not provide glasses-less 3D. And your second image also doesn't provide glasses-less 3D. Furthermore, neither is going to be a standard feature of XB720 due to cost/setup constraints. So where does the author of "a unique User Interface which will let users enjoy a 3D experience with wearing any glasses" get his ideas from, and what is the connection with other research performed at MS (which is a bigger company than just XBox, despite certain fans' belief to the contrary)? Even your Czech link shows a roadmap extending beyond 720 into a future with 3D screen projection, and that's a roadmap with features on XB360 that haven't materialised (TV app on 360, phone and PC in 2011, followed by XTV in 2012). There is nothing connecting any of these ideas except their origins at MS and a lot of half-baked reasoning from the media. The correlations being found between a person's resume and what the next console will entail are lacking basic common reasoning.
I think I get your point Shifty.

I have to admit the internet is only filled with rumours, speculation, hair pulling and no actual burgeoning leaks in the last month or so, and the companies are responding with either silence or fluff press notes.

If I could travel in time and tell people everything I'd do.... but I am not believing almost anything at this point to be honest, although it makes up for interesting discussions and stuff.

I'm not at all against interesting discussion, but it does irk me when the discussion is somewhat nonsensical as a lot of the rumours and articles are. Solving the mystery is a matter of joining the dots, but where we have four dots aligned in a square, it strikes me as though some are happier to draw a sports car or tightrope-walking elephant that encompasses those four dots and a lot more dots added to fit the intended pictures. ;)

Official May 21st event date announced

lXAWS3R.png

Game Informer has just received word that Microsoft is about to send out invitations for an unveiling event for the next Xbox. According to our source, who has asked to for anonymity, the proceedings will take place on May 21 in Redmond, Washington.

While the presentation will be held in an intimate setting, it will be streamed live on Xbox.com, Xbox Live, and Spike TV in the US and Canada. Invitations to the press and publishing partners are expected to go out shortly. Game Informer has reached out to Microsoft for comment.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/04/24/source-next-xbox-reveal-set-for-may-21.aspx

http://www.xboxevent.com/ teh 403?

Nice, will be watching. I want to see how this contrasts (or doesn't) with Sony's PS4 announcement. Exciting to see all the players finally reaching the track or whatever :)

I'm not at all against interesting discussion, but it does irk me when the discussion is somewhat nonsensical as a lot of the rumours and articles are. Solving the mystery is a matter of joining the dots, but where we have four dots aligned in a square, it strikes me as though some are happier to draw a sports car or tightrope-walking elephant that encompasses those four dots and a lot more dots added to fit the intended pictures. ;)

We've reached critical mass, the lack of official information has allowed the speculations to drift far and wide, reaching both extremes of positive and negative. We don't get anything in the middle, nothing reasonable or realistic. Depending on what the "rumor of the moment" is, the next Xbox will either open up a virtual worm hole in your livingroom to another dimension of limitless possibilities OR immediately explode upon installation of used games.

I still think that in the end something closely reflecting the Yukon architecture is what we're probably going to get. Remembering that this was something that Microsoft actually acknowledged when it was leaked and directly requested that it be taken down from various sites or places where it could be viewed and downloaded.

I can't speak to the rest of this stuff. People are snatching patents out of the air and turning them into built-in specifications. It does make for interesting discussion, but it also feels like a runaway train at times. Every single patent suddenly becomes Xbox console viable.

I don't look forward to the next 4 weeks, because it's going to get alot worse.

...They're not going to stream the event worldwide, to everyone? Why? That wouldn't make sense. You'd want everyone who has even a smidgen of interest in your product to be able to watch the event, to create purchasing interest...

One would think microsoft of all companies would understand that.

...They're not going to stream the event worldwide, to everyone? Why? That wouldn't make sense. You'd want everyone who has even a smidgen of interest in your product to be able to watch the event, to create purchasing interest...

One would think microsoft of all companies would understand that.

Streamed live on xbox.com

Everyone should be able to watch.

That sounds like it will be a presentation like they had for Surface. I like that, no large stage, no elaborate spectacle. In other words no smoke and mirrors.

So I think they will talk at length about the console's specifications and capabilities.

I'm expecting little to no spec talk and mostly just demonstration of software, services, Kinect enhancements as well as the development environment for small players/indie.

That sounds like it will be a presentation like they had for Surface. I like that, no large stage, no elaborate spectacle. In other words no smoke and mirrors.

So I think they will talk at length about the console's specifications and capabilities.

i agree with a gaf commenter, that if it's less than ps4 as rumored, they'll just say 8 core cpu, 8gb ram, and custom AMD gpu.

all those specs dont reveal any deficiencies vs ps4, while still giving them some obligatory specs to reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back