News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
However, it's the 0.01% of their customers that make for a successful system launch, otherwise you get a Wii U that sputters out of the gate. And it's even more important this time around when Microsoft has the PS4 launching in the same year.

If that were true then the PS3 would have massively outsold the X360 given how much more enthused about it the internet forumers were. I still remember a ton of people on forums saying they would wait for PS3 rather than buying an inferior X360 which was doomed to failure just like Xbox 1.

The Kinect would have failed miserably, most internet forum warriors fortold it failing.

The Dreamcast would have been a success. You should have seen the throngs of rabid SEGA fans leading up to launch. About how Sony wouldn't be able to match it. And it launched first!

Etc. Internet forums and fans (internet or not) rarely ever determine the success or failure of a console. They may at times mirror the general consumer, but the general consumer is rarely influenced in such a way.

Regards,
SB

...And it was totally obscure and flied over the heads out of sight of 99.9% of their customers (counting low here, probably). It's fallacial to reason that just because MS did the Ilovebees ARG years ago, this must also be legit. Propter hoc, and all that, you know...

It could be legit, but not because of past events.

I think the point is, its more likely if said company has a history of using ARGs to promote new products at a grass-roots level, than one who has never done so. Also, MS has done more than one (halo, 360), so they likely saw some value in the first or they wouldn't have done the second.

Matches what I know, the controllers used to have small screens on them but they apparently took them out

Kotaku also sad that it's also "a little smaller" and spoke of stripes.

Also Kotaku, and DF the other day, said that developers received the final devs kits the last month/months; can you confirm this or it's just a speculation?

Last edited by a moderator:
If Kotaku are saying it's a little bit smaller then it probably is, I haven't heard that myself.
The stripes are just camoflage/watermarks to track leaks.

Where did they say that?

If Kotaku are saying it's a little bit smaller then it probably is, I haven't heard that myself.
The stripes are just camoflage/watermarks to track leaks.

Where did they say that?

Kotaku's article is here and in that very same article they say: "Controllers for the next Xbox as well as prototype versions of both Microsoft's new, powerful console and the machine's new, mandatory Kinect sensor have been in the hands of game creators since last month. (March)"

DF two days ago said this: "Also worth remembering is that developers have only received final next-gen console hardware in the last few months"
The article is here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kotaku's article is here and in that very same article they say: "Controllers for the next Xbox as well as prototype versions of both Microsoft's new, powerful console and the machine's new, mandatory Kinect sensor have been in the hands of game creators since last month. (March)"

DF two days ago said this: "Also worth remembering is that developers have only received final next-gen console hardware in the last few months"
The article is here.

He doesn't specify at all which platform has received final silicone, of course I wouldn't expect him to. But considering that the article spends the majority of it's time focusing on the comparisons to the PS4's hardware...........I think it' safe to guess which platform he was referring to.

The article is here.

Well, I presume he's talking about the beta kits that started shipping out at the end of last year, they have the final hardware in them (ie unless MS wants to increase clocks or make other last minute changes for the shipping product).

Try this... http://brainfuck.tk/

Interesting site name eh? LOL

Tommy McClain
lulz that site is crazy.

I believe the rumours about the Xbox 720 performance and the Petaflops. The non-believers might whine but Megan Fox has a message in that regard: :)

6ezqz9.jpg

So... To Peta or not to Peta, that's the question

http://gente10.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/pamela_a.jpg

Apart from our beloved bkillian :) some Microsoft employees admit that they are -or have been- working on the next Xbox.

One of them mentions the term Holographic Telepresence, whatever that is, and revolutionary 3D features.

Bar-Zeev's profile, however, appears to be the most interesting. As principal architect at Microsoft, Bar-Zeev states that he "developed novel product concepts for forward-looking groups at Microsoft, including MSR's Startup Business Group, Bing Mobile's Prototyping team, and Xbox Incubations (originators of Kinect)".

Part of his work, Bar-Zeev states, was related to "'Next Gen' XBox HW/SW architecture and experiences" and, although it may not be related directly to the console, developing a software platform for a "real-time 3D [user-generated content]-stitched world" called "Read/Write World", and hardware and software-based "Holographic Telepresence".

http://www.videogamer.com/news/microsoft_employees_were_working_on_the_next-gen_xbox.html

Microsoft won't ban the used games market, confirmed, nor it will require an always online connection, also confirmed.

I say it is a confirmed thing because according to a rumour from Xing Interactive, they believe it is true MS will ban the 2nd hand market and stuff, and they are the creators of these little gems :oops::

duck_hunter.jpg

Jewel Explorer

jewel_explorer.jpg

Dating sim "Caroline's Garden" -I have a cousin whose name is Caroline btw-

carolines_carden.jpg

"Amsterdam Street Racer"

cover_amsterdam_street_racer.jpg

And, finally, another gem.

Fetish Fighters... -I am crying with laughter-

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1897054/next_xbox_will_not_be_compatible_with_second_hand.html

p.s. thanks to Freeman for the news.

I'm not up on the tech advances for the mass production of haptic devices, but the remainder of that list has the following traits of being not appropriate for the time frame (or just not existing) and potentially not appropriate for a console.

I'm not up on the tech advances for the mass production of haptic devices, but the remainder of that list has the following traits of being not appropriate for the time frame (or just not existing) and potentially not appropriate for a console.

Magnetic harddisk drives as standard is not appropriate for a games console. It promotes DLC feudal economics on owners.

The metrics I was using for whether a feature is appropriate for a console was whether the technology actually exists in a usable form for Microsoft to use, and whether the likely implementations of the tech early on would be good for a cost-concious design.

HMC doesn't look like it's going to be out in significant quantity before the likely window of mass production of the console, and it's pretty likely the early forms of it would be targeting markets more willing to spend for the bandwidth it provides.

Mass-produced holographic optical drives fail the existence test.

The idea that more storage is not appropriate because of DLC is a non sequitor from the POV of the console manufacturing and software development.

Apart from our beloved bkillian :) some Microsoft employees admit that they are -or have been- working on the next Xbox.

One of them mentions the term Holographic Telepresence, whatever that is, and revolutionary 3D features.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/microsoft_employees_were_working_on_the_next-gen_xbox.html

Holographic telepresence is that thing they talked about in the Nvidia presentation. Translating your face into 3d animation data and the user on the other end sees a 3d animation of your face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back