Last of Us [PS4]

i saved up the money for only one game . the last of us and gta 5 are what i would like to play this year . i really want to play the last of us but i am afraid of wasting the money like i did on uncharted 3 . my concern is in the gameplay side of TLOU . is it too uncharted because that game doesnt give me any replay value except for trophies . i am not interested in multiplayer so should i wait for the prices to go down and rather buy gta 5 or should i buy it ?

i know its got many 10s but i have suffered once buying uncharted 3 which also got many 10s.

Well then I would hold out for GTA V, if you know you like that series. Last of Us is a great game, but if you felt you wasted your money on Uncharted 3, this game is certainly better on the whole, but not that different. I loved Uncharted 3.

I yet have to play a GTA that clicked with me. I don't know what it is.

That comment doesnt do the game's justice. The game isnt a traditional "shooter" and its not trying to be a shooter. Dont expect fancy moves, barrel roles and such. Joel's abilities are as many as an everyday human's who was caught into a shitty situation by design. And rightfully so. And thats what makes it amazing. What makes the gameplay enjoyable is that you cant rely just on the shooting to beat the enemies. Your character has few shooting skills, few fighting skills, few crafting skills and he is a vulnerable man. So you have to rely on various skills, not just on the shooting aspect. You have to invent ways to avoid and/or take out your enemies without putting yourself in great risk. There is only one other thing he has and thats his mind. This is where the player comes in and feels that gap. Because he is not a super soldier/tough unbeatable macho guy like in most games you have to use your mind to exploit his limited skills creatively. And it gives lots of freedom in that area. You become one with Joel. And this is what makes it feel genuine and unique.

Joel have many melee skills but only one skill on shooting, that's (bad) aim and shot.
But if you play rambo, you can combine multiple melee skills with auto aim (auto aim only activated after a few melee moves).

its bloody hard to aim using analog stick manually with no auto aim.

That comment doesnt do the game's justice. The game isnt a traditional "shooter" and its not trying to be a shooter. Dont expect fancy moves, barrel roles and such. Joel's abilities are as many as an everyday human's who was caught into a shitty situation by design. And rightfully so. And thats what makes it amazing. What makes the gameplay enjoyable is that you cant rely just on the shooting to beat the enemies. Your character has few shooting skills, few fighting skills, few crafting skills and he is a vulnerable man. So you have to rely on various skills, not just on the shooting aspect. You have to invent ways to avoid and/or take out your enemies without putting yourself in great risk. There is only one other thing he has and thats his mind. This is where the player comes in and feels that gap. Because he is not a super soldier/tough unbeatable macho guy like in most games you have to use your mind to exploit his limited skills creatively. And it gives lots of freedom in that area. You become one with Joel. And this is what makes it feel genuine and unique.

+1 ! The shooting isn't bad at all. In fact once you level up ur shooting, the aim doesn't sway at all. The fun is in panic decisions and getting out of a fight alive or taking them one by one without anyone knowing. this game is not about shooting the bad guys !

If you want I can give u my account whihc has the demo. Ply the demo and decide. i lpayed the demo and preordered the game. You make your choice !

Agreed. I found the controls, the systems and the choices made with the gameplay all incredibly refined. It's all about adaptation and improvisation. You can't expect to accomplish perfect stealth runs, or to be able to shoot your way across a single encounter. The game is at its best when shit goes wrong and you have to scrap as hard as you can to get out by the skin of your teeth.

That said, for people who want auto-aim, if you drop the difficulty it will be unlocked as an option.

Let me start with saying I think this game is technical masterpiece :) Without actually knowing, but its so so pretty.

I have not come far,
just meet up with Bill
and loving the story so far and the seamless shift between gameplay and cutscenes. And how they tell part as the story as dialogue.

But when that is all said and done, I do not like how they stage up fights at certain points, that breaks the immersion for me. It reminds of what seemed like unlimited enemies spawn points in Modern Warfare.
In the back of my mind, I think that I would have preferred to have exploration/discovery/travelling bit, intermixed with a random enemy here and there. Instead of just getting to a crossroad/chokepoint where you have to deal with multiple enemies within in a limited area. Before moving along until the next area...

The game is worth the price of admission and I will play it through, unless I get super stuck.
It was quite hard in the beginning before my gung ho shooting playstyle was put on the back burner.

Last edited by a moderator:
I beat the game earlier today.
Awesome from beginning to end.
Does anyone have a link to the behind the scenes
content ?
I'd really like to watch it.

the gameplay on TLoU is good but the gunshooting gameplay is mediocore...

What? The shooting is brutal. Bullets have weight and impact physics are astounding. Seriously, if you shoot with your revolver a guy near a wall, seeing he backwards flying while a blood splash fills the wall is quite visceral. No game has had such a realistic shooting mechanics since Soldier of Fortune.

Also, the stopping power of a sinlge shot from the enemy is very well done ! You stagger backwards and kindof fall down. If you look at it the other way, we can say the shooting is actually better than other games in TLOU.

Also, the stopping power of a sinlge shot from the enemy is very well done ! You stagger backwards and kindof fall down. If you look at it the other way, we can say the shooting is actually better than other games in TLOU.

and the danger sensation you have when you are in cover helps tactical play. If you get up to shoot enemies will hit you reducing your health a lot. Shooting mechanics really are very satisfying and the best this gen IMO in a third person shooter.

One of the things I really love is that audio queue you get when you're about to be spotted. It's the videogame equivalent of having the hair on the back or your neck stand up.

And I totally agree about the shooting. It drives me nuts when people act as if third person shooting mechanics are a solved problem, and that solution is Gears of War. It is so wrongheaded to think all any game needs to do is try and be like that. If The Last of Us played like Gears it would irrefutably be a much, much worse game. Everything about the controls, the scenarios and the seamless way you shift from one tactic to another is informed by and feeds back into the game's larger thematic and narrative goals.

One of the things I really love is that audio queue you get when you're about to be spotted. It's the videogame equivalent of having the hair on the back or your neck stand up.

YES !!!! Absolutely agree, that little sound which plays when I am about to get spotted ....that was my spider sense and a lifesaver, especially since I had listen mode turned off all throughout and tracking the enemies was not done by the game for me ! I used to literally be hearing every minute sound and watching out for every little movement, but even then sometimes this sound will play and i will immediately back track !!!! I knew someone was about to see me !

On hard and without listen mode, that audio cue was what took me through :p !!! Perfect sound ! Starts slowly and rises if getting more cvulnerable and subsides if you move back into hiding !

Back