Sony Vita Games Thread

Teraway or more likely MM gives me the old vibe when it comes to games. Its like when I got my C64 and had to type in games from magazines etc. And then discovering turbo tape :D Simple and new mechanics to give you some game play, but back then you just did a bite sized game as the player. Since most where way to difficult to finish. At least for an 10 year old :)

Teraway gives the same feeling of new discovery and experience like some games back in the day when you played them for the first time, ie the diversity of Olympic Skiier and Larry Bird vs Dr J and Buck Rogers etc etc

MM adds to the diversity even though most concepts probably have been done in some ways before.

Some of my old favorites

olympic skiier
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Xbb-sEyiQ

larry bird vs dr j
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URobcuTcBFU

buck rogers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp7ODBuwYvY

That looks amazing. Somehow these guys always seem to manage to outdo my expectations.

Yup, these are the guys that really change up everything and yet offer a complete and highly polished experience which still retains a homemade freshness to it, a "smalltime" "baked at home" feeling to it all. I felt really sad when LBP did not turn into a COD-like phenomena, especially when LBP2 offered so much more freedom. Maybe the tools are still a bit too complex or people don't care at all about small home made experiences anymore :( . There is a charm to them which just cannot be had in factory made stuff.

Maybe the tools are still a bit too complex ...

I think that's basically it. I also think the problem is only going to get worse as the ease of use of professional tools keeps on getting better. I'd rather fiddle around with Unity or pick up an Unreal development kit than spend months on a LBP level that's probably going to suck.
Another problem is that a lot of people who otherwise love platformers don't particularly like LBP's particular brand of floaty platforming, myself included.

Besides, isn't it still the best selling game of its kind that doesn't feature Mario? Quite respectable considering the platforming genre has largely been pushed by the wayside.

Hey Sony, check your latest Vita PSN stack. I can't seem to login to PSN from my Vita in my hotel room. I can web surf fine on Vita.

Got an NW-8942-3 error.

I tried to tether to my iPad mini. Same thing.

The hotel is in Orlando btw.

I've had the same issue in a hotel in Vienna which was blocking tons of non-standard ports, including those used by the PSN servers.

Flower for Vita is out on PSN. It's cross-buy. PS3 folks who got the game should be able to download it for free.
Yeah, I just noticed! Too bad that download speed to my vita is terrible. I'm not sure what is the bottleneck, sony servers or the vita itself, although if I was to make a guess I'd lay the blame at sony's server infrastructure. PS3 downloads aren't exactly lightning fast either, but yeah. It's not as if you need to do these things every day. DL and install once, and you're done, pretty much.

FlOw on the other hand is NOT cross-buy? Or at least not for me. Whatta...?

Edit: Flower's graphics look amazing for a small handheld device. Very close to original PS3 from what I can tell apart from screen resolution (although I haven't played the game in years, literally). Its control schemes on the other hand are completely impossible by the way. Feels as if I'm fighting the game the whole time rather than playing it. Just give me dual stick input and be done with it, thank you. Glaring lights reflected in the glossy vita front surface and limited angles on the viewscreen make motion controls a drag, but still slightly better than the nearly impossible touch scheme they've deviced. You need to either be ambidextrous or equipped with the patience of a madman to enjoy touch input, and I am neither! :(

I feel sad now...

Yeah I suspected so. But Vita is a mobile device, they need to make sure PSN can work with these ports blocked.
Why do they even need to screw around with all these non-standard ports? Can't they just use port 80 and be done with it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I suspected so. But Vita is a mobile device, they need to make sure PSN can work with these ports blocked.
You're basically suggesting removing the transport layer protocols from TCP/IP. The internet wouldn't work if all traffic was channelled through one port. How would traffic routing be prioritised or specific packets routed to specific application servers at a specific IP address!?!? :???:

I know the internet sometimes seems like magic but it isn't ;-)

You can for example tunnel the app protocol in HTTP. See WebSocket for such a standard.
I know what WebSockets is but it's only a standard proposal and not a finalised implementation, as such as it's very little support where it counts: server-side. You'll find support in IIS 8.0 but not previous versions nor Apache and this probably won't change until/unless the proposal gets finalised and ratified.

It's a solution to a narrow problem and not the sockets as a whole so there's is trundling along at a slow pace. Its also very much a browser solution, not a TCP/IP stack solution. I don't know how Sony implement the PSN store on Vita, is it just a custom browser?

People use it to tunnel all sorts of enterprise protocols through HTTP. It doesn't matter what sort of client implements WebSocket. Vita is a mobile device, it needs to work in hotels.

People use it to tunnel all sorts of enterprise protocols through HTTP. It doesn't matter what sort of client implements WebSocket. Vita is a mobile device, it needs to work in hotels.
And it works in hotels. I've only had it not work in one hotel since I got mine on launch day in Europe and If a hotel is determined to allow only light web and email traffic over their network, they will stop it either by blocked non-standard ports or by imposing heavy data usage tariffs.

It's unreasonable to expect Sony to engineer a CE device around basic TCP/IP routing protocols because your Vita didn't work in the odd hotel. These protocols are part of the network standards on which the device is supposed to operate.

Complain to the hotel, not Sony :???:

Back