[360, PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

I played through the mission but chose to hold fire. However had I chosen to open fire,. at worst I would only had killed a fraction of non-combatant characters that would typically fall as collateral damage in a game of GTA.Killing innocents / non-combatants isn't new. In PS3 gams I've played in the last year or two you can do it in inFamous, Fallout 3, Assassin's Creed, Oblivion - probably more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want to cool this heated discussion by stating that you dont get to hav the POV as the terrorist but rather an undercover officer

I haven't gotten a straight answer, and reviewers thankfully avoid bringing up any flaws, so I have to ask about: what about infinite respawns/enemy AI/heavy gating? Has this changed at all, as promised?

I'm still very curious about one thing though:
What's up with the third person view? Is there one or isn't there? How does it affect SP or MP?

Anyways, I have not played the game, I do not know what choices IW made. I was just asking if it is really in the game, or being blown out of proportion like RE5 being racist when in Africa but not RE4 when in Spain ?

I'm curious about the infinite enemies and the 3rd person perspective too.
I've only played the single player campaign and saw no evidence of a third person view in there.

As for infinite enemies, I was conscious about this as its one of the COD mechanics that I've always disliked. I play my FPSs tactically; clearing out and securing an area before moving on and in past COD games you couldn't because pushing forward was the only way to stem the tide but if MW2 is doing infinite spawns then it's not apparent and much more subtle or measured. There are instances where enemies will flood in to an area, you clear a wave and more pour in, rinse repeat, but they either end of the game gives you periodic respites in which to progress more naturally.

Huzzah!

and where are the reviews???? :oops: I have not seen any uptill now!!
I think there was a review publication embargo to match the global release date (nice for us in the UK, usually we wait til Friday, although mine came yesterday!). The UK sites have reviews up, as does GameTrailers. Good scores but is anybody surprised?

IGN

8.5 Presentation
The graphical presentation is great, but campaign’s storytelling needs work. Single player is short, and doesn’t entirely live up to the Call of Duty standard.

10 Graphics
What was already an impressive graphical engine has only improved over the last two years. More effects, grander environments, and a truly spectacular overall visual offering.

10 Sound
Along with graphical design, Modern Warfare 2’s audio is upped substantially. Authentic weapon sounds and more in-game chatter mix with a beautiful adaptive score by Hans Zimmer.

9.0 Gameplay
There’s no single AC-130 “wow” moment in single player, but it’s fun throughout. Special Ops mode and multiplayer are must-play, and completely make the package.

10 Lasting Appeal
While campaign is short, Spec Ops mode is an awesome addition to the package. Multiplayer is stronger than ever, and truly limitless in replay value.

9.5 Incredible OVERALL

Closing Comments
When you look at the total package, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is hands-down one of the best first-person shooters out there, and a truly amazing offering across any system. With that being said, our score comes with a disclaimer. For those planning to check out everything Modern Warefare 2 has to offer – online competition, full co-op Spec Ops mode, as well as the campaign – you’re looking at a no-brainer purchase. For the strictly single player crowd, however, Modern Warfare 2 is surprisingly short, and doesn’t live up to the standard set by previous Call of Duty games. The campaign can be completed in as little as four and a half hours, and the missions make better scenarios and moment-to-moment adrenaline rushes than they do a cohesive, well-told story. If you’re going solo, you’ve officially been warned. Look at the complete Modern Warfare 2 experience though, and there’s no denying its rightful place at the top.

:( I'd only be buying for the SP. Oh well, not for me then.

IGN complained about the storytelling and Eurogamer said the storytelling was improved. Guess it depends what you like. Does sound a bit short though, but most single player games are pretty short nowadays. 4.5-5.5 hours is pushing it, but 8 hours is about normal unfortunately.

If you don't play multiplayer, you are missing the main point of this game.. I have never played a SP CoD game yet and I have owned CoD2,3,4,WaW.

the multiplayer OTOH, has seen more hours than any other game series in my life.

:( I'd only be buying for the SP. Oh well, not for me then.

Same here, I am a COD SP fan since the first game. Guess, I'll just buy the cheaper PC version and play the SP, as I can't reallymiss what IW has to offer. They have been the best since the first COD. Just that the trailers and reviews give me a feeling that it is not the COD that we loved, maybe. It used to be WAR, too many civilians in the footages I have seen. it feels more like James bond, what with the multiple locations and follow a fugitive and spoil his plan storyline. Where's the soldiers in Uniforms and well, where's the WAR? Feels like things have to change, we can't help it. Its like a movie now, they seem to be losing touch with the Call of Duty franchise. I guess, they are also experimenting.

I think a franchise needs to maintian its identity to seperate it from other games. Look at Gears, KZ2, Uncharted, RSix:V. They maintain their theme and look. One look at the footage and you know which game it is. COD:MW2 lost that part in the footages I see. I think, that is what I mean. The GT review seems fun, though, but seems very non-COD.

If you don't play multiplayer, you are missing the main point of this game.. I have never played a SP CoD game yet and I have owned CoD2,3,4,WaW.

the multiplayer OTOH, has seen more hours than any other game series in my life.

So, stranger, will we be seeing you online?

Buying a cod game for SP only is like going to a top less only strip club. Why waste the money?

My copy should be here today. I'm looking forward to seeing the bottom half also.

Anyways, cannot wait until my exams are done and i can go online and rape all you suckers.

Get the 360 version and I promise to own you.

I cannot wait for a major pub to say, "Look, we are doing PS3 versus 360 cross play."

Back