Frame Rate Analysis Thread (Simple Rules Post #2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
GTA IV PS3 a steady framerate?
You gotta be kidding me. GTA's framerate goes to hell anytime you are in a heavily congested area or when you are in a cop chase 3 stars and above. In many of the scripted chase sequences, I had the framerate dipping into the low 20s whenever there was an intense collision. Hell, take a drive in the downtown area of Liberty City and watch the framerate do a nosedive.

yes low 20s but steady at low 20s, where ME often dips from 30 to 5 fps ;)

Low 20s would be a high mark in ME. I remember slide shows during combat where I would run towards a wall and hope I would live long enough to get the frame rate back up. ME is probably the worst offender this gen, GTA4 is not even close.

Odd, I haven't observed any horrible frame rate dips during GTA4 while watching my roommate play for a few hours... Guess I'll have to start my own save game and try it for myself.

agreed GTA has been smooth for me in most instances... especially since I got my Elite as I think the DVd drive reads better.

Installing this as well to HDD should help. But according to Grandmaster GTA stays pretty steady at 30fps on 360 and close to that on PS3

I'm unhappy with the direction this thread is taking. Content should be technical, discussing the actual framerates of specific titles and platforms. This subjective talk of looking good, bad, playing poorly, is inappropriate for the Tech Forum. Expect serious post deletion.

There's a LEGO Indiana Jones demo on PSN. Egads, that frame lock is the worst addition to a game in the history of gaming! For any that questioned grandmasters view on it, try it yourself. It's an afront to gamers. The developers should have targeted 60 fps from the other and stuck to it if they didn't want screen-tear, rather than offering juddervision (is that really just a lock to 30 fps? Other 30 fps titles don't jig about as IJ does at 30 fps.)

Has anyone noticed any variance/drop in frame rate on Soul Calibur 4 when forced to run 1080p on PS3?

..logically that would have no reason to happen, though on a similar note, does MGS4 run better in 720p ( if i disable 1080p from PS3) than in 1080p ? again, common sense says there should be no difference as we are talking about a mere upscale, but you never know.
I clearly remember for example that Turok, against all logic, had a horrible framerate in SD (576i) compared to a much better framerate in HD 720p. And also i think 1up mentioned that NG2 ran better in 720p and had framerate problems in 1080p.

There's a LEGO Indiana Jones demo on PSN. Egads, that frame lock is the worst addition to a game in the history of gaming! For any that questioned grandmasters view on it, try it yourself. It's an afront to gamers. The developers should have targeted 60 fps from the other and stuck to it if they didn't want screen-tear, rather than offering juddervision (is that really just a lock to 30 fps? Other 30 fps titles don't jig about as IJ does at 30 fps.)

I only analysed the Xbox 360 version and according to the frame rate analysis tool, every other frame has a 0% difference to the preceding one - classic v-locked 30fps, just like PGR4, GRID, Haze etc.

BTW sorry about the lack of further analyses - I'm in the midst of revamping my website in addition to the usual stuff.

Has any one checked out the performance test suite of Devil May Cry 4 on PC? It has an FPS meter that updates every second. I'm tempted to rip it off wholesale for future frame rate tests, though ideally you'd like that graph to be overlaid on the video.

Test on a Q6600/8800GT system with 800MHz RAM by the way - this is DMC4 the way it's meant to be played - awesome. 1080p with MSAA 2x and despite the results of the performance test, it's pretty much solid in-game, faltering only on cut-scenes.

Hey - did anyone else notice a huge amount of screen tearing in Star Wars: Force Unleashed? I'm doing some comparisons now - but I don't seem to get them in the PS3 version - but they are PROMINENT in the 360 version (I have them both being upscaled to 1080p forced on the same display)?

Jack

Hey - did anyone else notice a huge amount of screen tearing in Star Wars: Force Unleashed? I'm doing some comparisons now - but I don't seem to get them in the PS3 version - but they are PROMINENT in the 360 version (I have them both being upscaled to 1080p forced on the same display)?

Jack

I noticed no screen tearing in either version, although I have heard reports of people noticing it on the 360 version.

In the demo I saw the occasional torn frame in both versions, but it was very rare in both cases.

i think i noticed a torn frame or two when playing the PS3 demo after a few playthroughs, but i could not replicate it. maybe what i saw wasn't a torn frame. either way, there is very minimal tearing (if any).

Last edited by a moderator:
A spaniard developer, who is working at Ubisoft Montreal, fixing bugs and so on, has pointed out that the PS3's version of the game will run at 25 fps while the 360's version will run at 30 fps.

Please, take the context into account when reading the quote, it's a Google's translator translation :smile:

I am concerned about the framerate jejeje already told you that the goal was to go to 30 fps console, neither more nor less, and keep constant all the time. This is a very open game and can be moved very big liar, but I usually what I've seen goes well. There are many things that I enterare at the same time as you, when you play, because I work with what I can not appreciate it either. My items are usually start the game, reproducing the bug that I say, fix it, reload and see that this fixed, so I can not say much. The reason that always ensenyar 360 is because the PS3 version is always a little behind, that does not mean that it will be worse, simply costs more and takes longer to have the results. The optimizations already finished, will not do more because it involves optimizing introduce new bugs and now the only thing we do is that, fix bugs.

The builds, I think for leipzig at the end took a later version to ubidays but I have no idea how much more advanced
.​
I say this more than anything because the gps, and gps I did when they were just doing their ubidays.

And at the moment, little more to say
.​
It was approaching and submissions to Sony and Microsoft, is already so little. A greeting.
His gamertag shows he has been playing FC2

A little patience, the multi has enough more than that, there is silent system experience, classes, upgrades, challenges ...
no?​
Let this be properly.

I've been asking a little more about the subject of the framerate
.​
At the end things will be in 30 to 360 and 25 for ps3.
Original thread here:

http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_hilo-oficial-far-cry-2_988595_s700

Does it? I don't see it. BTW don't developers play on dev boxes which don't connect to live or report achievements?

Not necessarily i.e. internal beta testing. There does exist a private Live network for testing though; some news sites have access for their review writing too IIRC. But anyways, the gamertag there just shows a gamerpic for FC2... (this is going a bit off topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back