Yakuza 3

Oh, go ahead. Rub it in.

Let's see some targets. How many copies of Yakuza 3 does Sega need to sell to justify for translating/subtitling work for English-speaking regions ?

I don't think there's any set number of copies. They've already brought Yakuza twice over and it hasn't worked so well. Clearly it's not as if Japanese Ryu Ga Gotoku sales are translating into US/EU sales.

Bah, it's a PS2 game ? If it makes Sega more willing to port Y3 over, then I WILL buy it.

Well, I think that was the test, yes, but I'm not sure buying it 4 months late will help. It's also a really good game, if you can play PS2 games.

Bah, it's a PS2 game ? If it makes Sega more willing to port Y3 over, then I WILL buy it.

Me too!

I was a PS2 gamer and yakuza would have been right up my street, problem was it came out at a point were i just wasnt buyin any PS2 games anymore i didnt even know it existed! It was released in US 2 months before PS3 (360 almost a year old!), most of the people that would be interested in the game would have been moving on to 360/PS3, and to those people it could have been easily overlooked simple because it wasnt new and impressive looking compared to what was being hyped up on the next-gen consoles.

I think the market is there right now for the game to be successful, regardless of how well the previous games did.

Take a game like say Bioshock or fallout 3, they have been very successfull but i doubt they would have been as successful had they been released on PS2 at a similar stage to yakuza... I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me too!

I was a PS2 gamer and yakuza would have been right up my street, problem was it came out at a point were i just wasnt buyin any PS2 games anymore i didnt even know it existed! It was released in US 2 months before PS3 (360 almost a year old!), most of the people that would be interested in the game would have been moving on to 360/PS3, and to those people it could have been easily overlooked simple because it wasnt new and impressive looking compared to what was being hyped up on the next-gen consoles.

I think the market is there right now for the game to be successful, regardless of how well the previous games did.

Take a game like say Bioshock or fallout 3, they have been very successfull but i doubt they would have been as successful had they been released on PS2 at a similar stage to yakuza... I think.

That's my main hope: Yakuza came out in late 2006, Yakuza 2 in late 2008, maybe Sega won't see it as a rejection of the franchise, rather than the audience for those games having moved onto next-gen consoles. Of course, this being a PS3 title can't instill great confidence, either. Also, I've heard that SCEA requires games to have English VAs -- I'm one of those who'd play the game subtitled anyway.

Considering that the game is set in Japan, I think it's perfectly fine to enjoy the game the Japanese way. The only barriers are the menu options and dialogue. Heck, if they want to, they can make it fan sub. :)

[size=-2]Come, run it by the Home community. They'll love this sort of things.[/size]

If Sega sees sales of Yakuza 2 climb dramatically they will bring Yakuza 3. But the serie's accumulated sales probably don't support this (yet).

If Y3 is successful, Y2 sales may increase a little too.

Anyway, I'll check out Y2 when I'm hunting for SingStar PS2 song discs one of these days. [size=-2]Don't know if they sell SingStar song packs in Japan or Asia.[/size]

Dang this game puts games like GTA 4 and Saints Row 2 to shame.

And, can they pack more mini games into it?

Golf
Bowling
Fishing
Mahjong
Chinese Chess
Pick the stuffed animal out of the machine
Girlfriend sim
Dress up woman sim
Gambling games (Black Jack, Roulette, dice, some japanese games)
What looks like a Japanese quiz game show
Batting cage
Karaoke
Photograph the beautiful girl sub game
Fighting simulator (sorta like the Matrix style virtual reality)
Cage Fighting/Tag team Cage fighting
Boxing

And then all the standard GTA/Saints Row type of stuff.

Jeez, it's too bad this will probably never make it to the US. :(

Regards,
SB

If the other games are any indication, it's much more constrained than GTA-like sandbox games. It's more like a Kazuma Kiryu simulator, which is good because Kazuma Kiryu is awesome.

Yes, that's my understanding. The more condensed the experience, the better. It'd be a shame if it ends up being a sandbox/wandering game.

Tried the demo. Not that good graphics, but pretty smooth fighting scenes. The hostess and karaoke was pretty fun. Seems harder than Yakuza 2....

The hostess and karaoke was pretty fun. Seems harder than Yakuza 2....

Why, what did you do to the hostesses ? ^_^

Can't try demo properly (in a relaxed way). I have too many things to do right now. In fact, I may not have time to play KZ2 during the first week too.
[size=-2]I saw you playing Nobi Nobi, how was it ?[/size]

Actually, the "harder"comment was related to the fighting.

About the hostesses, the chatting seems more involved and there are times when you can "look" at them. Also, they have facial expressions now! I was a bit dissapointed that Shizuka Muto was not included in the demo, but I guess that is something I have to look forward to in the real game :)

Also, if there are enough songs I could see myself liking the karaoke mini game.

The demo is full of jap text, so if you don't know japanese it will be hard to enjoy it. I gave up following the story halfways, then I had to quit when I met the CIA-agents.

But overall, I am really looking forward to 3!

I did a quick demo run.

The fighting mechanics is rather engaging, deeper than I thought. I like to pick a fight in the streets to earn extra $$$.

The two Club Ageha hostesses are butt ugly. They are "older" than I expected (The KTV girls I met were younger and more hip). Cannot stand their big hair and husky voices. >_< Also got lost in the dialog. I wanted to get all the love icons just to see what's next though. They should have drinking games like real KTVs. :) Where did you find the Karaoke mini-game ?

Found a cafe, but they have nothing to sell me (yet).

Can't find the other mini-games (Mahjong, Chess, Stuff Toy grabbing, ...). Pretty interesting. I'll have to revisit the town later.

Completed the demo (Beat the 4 CIA agents). Traversed all the streets. Tamed all the gangsters. Scored Sayaki -- Got all her hearts (What in the world is that stare-in-her-eyes mini-game :D)... but still can't find Karaoke shop. :-|

I'll focus on finding all the mini-game parlors next.

Answering my own Karaoke question. Found an English guide for the Y3 demo:
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3dlgames&thread.id=136855

- Karaoke (bottom of Street 4)
This is, quite possibly, the best reason not to go straight to the end of the demo. The Karaoke club is one of the funniest and more awesomer things in the Yakuza franchise, it also plays like Parappa the Rapper. As you enter this place, you'll have the option of either going Solo with just Kazuma or going Duet. If you select Duet, you can call Sayaki to join you at the club and you'll get some interesting events! You'll have two songs to choose from: a typical J-Pop track and a more dramatic Enka style theme. To play the game, watch as the little scrolling bar goes across the lyrics and when it goes over the button icon, hit that button at the right time to get points! There are instances when you must hold or rapidly press the correct button though.

Location of Street 4:

Only buildings on your map that have a colour are able to be accessed. So don't go blindly running against buildings hoping to find one you can enter. Okay? I'll do my best to explain each locale to you in detail so you can have fun! There are a total of 4 major vertical streets and intersecting horizontal alleys and small pathways you can explore, I'll refer to each vertical street as Street 1, 2, and so on. These streets are numbered from left to right.

Back