Epic Games acquires Bandcamp [2022-03]

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
Epic has acquired Bandcamp, an online music store and community.

https://blog.bandcamp.com/2022/03/02/bandcamp-is-joining-epic/

Bandcamp is Joining Epic Games

I’m excited to announce that Bandcamp is joining Epic Games, who you may know as the makers of Fortnite and Unreal Engine, and champions for a fair and open Internet.

Bandcamp will keep operating as a standalone marketplace and music community, and I will continue to lead our team. The products and services you depend on aren’t going anywhere, we’ll continue to build Bandcamp around our artists-first revenue model (where artists net an average of 82% of every sale), you’ll still have the same control over how you offer your music, Bandcamp Fridays will continue as planned, and the Daily will keep highlighting the diverse, amazing music on the site. However, behind the scenes we’re working with Epic to expand internationally and push development forward across Bandcamp, from basics like our album pages, mobile apps, merch tools, payment system, and search and discovery features, to newer initiatives like our vinyl pressing and live streaming services.

Since our founding in 2008, we’ve been motivated by the pursuit of our mission, which is to help spread the healing power of music by building a community where artists thrive through the direct support of their fans. That simple idea has worked well, with payments to artists and labels closing in on $1 billion USD. And while over the years we’ve heard from other companies who wanted us to join them, we’ve always felt that doing so would only be exciting if they strongly believed in our mission, were aligned with our values, and not only wanted to see Bandcamp continue, but also wanted to provide the resources to bring a lot more benefit to the artists, labels, and fans who use the site. Epic ticks all those boxes. We share a vision of building the most open, artist-friendly ecosystem in the world, and together we’ll be able to create even more opportunities for artists to be compensated fairly for their work.

Whether you joined Bandcamp recently or have been with us since the beginning 14 years ago, thank you for being a part of this incredible community, and we look forward to serving you for many years to come!

Ethan Diamond
Bandcamp co-founder and CEO

https://www.epicgames.com/site/en-U...port-fair-open-platforms-for-artists-and-fans

Today, we are thrilled to announce that Bandcamp will become part of Epic Games. Bandcamp is an online music store and community where fans can discover, connect with, and directly support the independent musicians they love.

Fair and open platforms are critical to the future of the creator economy. Epic and Bandcamp share a mission of building the most artist friendly platform that enables creators to keep the majority of their hard-earned money. Bandcamp will play an important role in Epic’s vision to build out a creator marketplace ecosystem for content, technology, games, art, music and more.

Check out this post on Bandcamp’s blog for more details.

“Bandcamp’s mission is to help spread the healing power of music by building a community where artists thrive through the direct support of their fans,” said Ethan Diamond, CEO and co-founder of Bandcamp. “In Epic, we’ve found a partner who believes as deeply as we do that the future of music, and art itself, depends on the creation of equitable and inclusive communities like the one our fans and artists have helped to build. We’re excited to work alongside the Epic team to accelerate the realization of our mission and pursue our shared goal of empowering more creators in a fair and open way.”

“We couldn’t be more excited to welcome the Bandcamp team to Epic Games,” said Steve Allison, Vice President and General Manager, Store at Epic Games. “Bandcamp has built an incredible community and business where up and coming artists can succeed thanks to the direct support of their fans, with one of the best revenue models and terms in music. This aligns closely with Epic’s approach to supporting creators across all media and enabling them to connect directly with their fans.”​

I am curious as to why
I wonder if this is some sort of Sweeney thing where he wants to ensure the existence of artist driven platforms, or a way to vertically integrate music licensing into the larger business of game development and Unreal engine licensing. Ironically, I somehow always thought Apple owned Bandcamp. Never looked it up, not sure if someone told me they did. I just always thought they did. Maybe I just shmooooushedtm the app GarageBand into the the idea of Bandcamp and imagined they were products of the same company.

I wonder if this is some sort of Sweeney thing where he wants to ensure the existence of artist driven platforms, or a way to vertically integrate music licensing into the larger business of game development and Unreal engine licensing. Ironically, I somehow always thought Apple owned Bandcamp. Never looked it up, not sure if someone told me they did. I just always thought they did. Maybe I just shmooooushedtm the app GarageBand into the the idea of Bandcamp and imagined they were products of the same company.

Most likely this. Since Epic provides most, if not all, visual packages/assets on building games with Unreal Engine, why not a vast database of royalty free music/sfx from independent artist as well? (of course, independent music artist are provided various payment options when listing/uploading their music, as well as being provided a larger platform through Epic/Unreal for those starving and smaller independent artist)

Most likely this. Since Epic provides most, if not all, visual packages/assets on building games with Unreal Engine, why not a vast database of royalty free music/sfx from independent artist as well? (of course, independent music artist are provided various payment options when listing/uploading their music, as well as being provided a larger platform through Epic/Unreal for those starving and smaller independent artist)

Couldn't this have been done easily with some co-operation between Epic and Bandcamp and a simple plug-in to Unreal's toolchain? All this acquisitions will do is ensure that any other game engine would have a harder time, or for it to be impossible, to do the same thing.

Oh. Riiiiiight. Bravo, Tim Sweeney, bravo. :nope:

Sounds like it's to make them more appealing for a future acquisition by a media conglomerate.

Tommy McClain

Couldn't this have been done easily with some co-operation between Epic and Bandcamp and a simple plug-in to Unreal's toolchain? All this acquisitions will do is ensure that any other game engine would have a harder time, or for it to be impossible, to do the same thing.

Oh. Riiiiiight. Bravo, Tim Sweeney, bravo. :nope:

Another move by Tim ApPLe hAs UnFaiR cOmPeTitiOn pRaCtiCeS Sweeney.

Sounds like it's to make them more appealing for a future acquisition by a media conglomerate.
I don't think Tim Sweeney wants Epic to be acquired. Tim Sweeney likes being the CEO of Epic so he can be a massive dick whenever he likes. :yep2:

Back