Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

Kinect is actually quite good for full body tracking for vr.

Anyway, with how ubiquitous voice commands nowadays, kinect voice command also could make a comeback.

I'm one of those weird people that really liked it and almost always used it.

You should see some of the prototype kinects

But hey wouldn't it be great if said kinect also had the ability to do everything the streaming stick did

Do report back. If it's only downloading and and not installing, then inevitably it could run out of free drive space in which to cache all the updates ready for when you switch it on next. I guess it depends how often you use your console, how much free space people have on their consoles and how big the updates are.

I switched on my Series X today for the first time in a few weeks and once again, there was a handful of games/apps that had not installed an update for (4) and a big pile of games (13) that had updates available but which those updates had not downloaded. I've over 300Gb free on the internal drive and more than 1Tb on the external SSD. I disabled Energy Saver mode within days for first trying it out months back. How do I get the Series X to just download game updates and install them in the background? :???:

The big reason I prefer consoles is that I don't have to keep switching the damn things on to trigger updates. I want it to stay updated when I'm not using it. :cry:

I switched on my Series X today for the first time in a few weeks and once again, there was a handful of games/apps that had not installed an update for (4) and a big pile of games (13) that had updates available but which those updates had not downloaded. I've over 300Gb free on the internal drive and more than 1Tb on the external SSD. I disabled Energy Saver mode within days for first trying it out months back. How do I get the Series X to just download game updates and install them in the background? :???:

The big reason I prefer consoles is that I don't have to keep switching the damn things on to trigger updates. I want it to stay updated when I'm not using it. :cry:
I think sadly it must be standby mode and you have to check off some boxes around auto update.

I think sadly it must be standby mode and you have to check off some boxes around auto update.
Do you have any ideas which settings? I went through the settings list and everything looks good. What is really frustrating is that it used to work fie and the only setting I ever changed was Energy Saver mode which I switched off soon after enabling.

Do you have any ideas which settings? I went through the settings list and everything looks good. What is really frustrating is that it used to work fie and the only setting I ever changed was Energy Saver mode which I switched off soon after enabling.
Under settings -> Updates
Check off Keep my Games & Apps up to date.
If it’s already checked, trying checking it off, and rebooting and checking it back on. Sometimes I wonder if the feature is actually not flagged correctly.
If you are installing to an external USB drive, you need to have powered USB on as well.

Under settings -> Updates
Check off Keep my Games & Apps up to date.
If it’s already checked, trying checking it off, and rebooting and checking it back on. Sometimes I wonder if the feature is actually not flagged correctly.
If you are installing to an external USB drive, you need to have powered USB on as well.

I definitely have all those settings set correctly, like I said it used to work then just stopped after some firmware updates. When I'm back home I'll try what you suggest and change the options as you and rebooting. If that doesn't work I may do a full reset. Possibly there is the Xbox equivalent to a cmos/smc issue.

Btw does Xbox Series X have the same usb power bug as Xbox series s?

On Xbox series s

1. Plug USB storage, preferably the one with LED power indicator
  2. Turn on the Xbox and wait until it's on the dashboard
  3. Unplug Xbox directly from power outlet
  4. Plug Xbox to power outlet. Make sure the Xbox is still off.
Now the USB storage device is stuck turned on, can be seen if you have the one with led power indicator.

If you have ssd with high operating temperature plugged in instead of a USB flash disk, wait for around 1 hour. Do not turn on the Xbox.

The ssd will be very hot to touch. Way hotter than when installing games.

---

Does this also occur on Xbox series x?

Btw does Xbox Series X have the same usb power bug as Xbox series s?
Are you sure it's not the drive that has the issue? USB devices draw power, host devices don't shove it down the cable like some weird electrical waterboarding situation. :LOL:

Are you sure it's not the drive that has the issue? USB devices draw power, host devices don't shove it down the cable like some weird electrical waterboarding situation. :LOL:

Nope. My Xbox Series s when powered off does shove it down the cable like electrical water boarding.

It acts like dumb USB A charger where the + and - pins is always on.

It acts like a proper USB host port when it's turned on or when it's turned off in standby or power saver mode.

If yiu have a dumb USB A powered portable LED lamp, you also can use it to test.

When off, the USB power stays powered on on Xbox series s.

I definitely have all those settings set correctly, like I said it used to work then just stopped after some firmware updates. When I'm back home I'll try what you suggest and change the options as you and rebooting. If that doesn't work I may do a full reset. Possibly there is the Xbox equivalent to a cmos/smc issue.
Ever since I did the check off/on etc. I'm noticing upon boot up a link that says the installation is paused. Which it never did before. I guess it may have been doing something while off now.

I saw this posted in the Quartertothree.com XSX thread:

”One thing you need to make sure of is that in the settings you have “turn off storage when xbox is turned off” is unchecked. If that’s checked, then the system will not be able to run updates.”

It… it can’t be that simple and non-obvious, can it? Tell me that’s for external storage only.

I saw this posted in the Quartertothree.com XSX thread:

”One thing you need to make sure of is that in the settings you have “turn off storage when xbox is turned off” is unchecked. If that’s checked, then the system will not be able to run updates.”

It… it can’t be that simple and non-obvious, can it? Tell me that’s for external storage only.

there's many things in xbox that can learn from PS.

for example, the power off/sleep power menu is much easier to understand on PS and easier to use.

like... i only want my xbox to be in power saver mode most of the time but when i want to install stuff in background, i need to dig into settings, change power mode, then turn off. On PS i can simply choose power save or smart standby directly from the power menu.

Has there been any update on BCPack?
Last update I remember is prior to XS release, think there was some dev on twitter last year also but don't remember anything useful from that.

Anyone with dev docs whiling to give insight.
May only see its use in current gen titles only if it means additional work to produce different packages. But still thought would've heard something by now.

Woah.. when did the older Gears of War games get FPS Boost? I trued playing it earlier this year and they all, including Gears Ultimate Edition, all seem to run at sub-30fps frame rates!

But they're all fixed! :runaway:

Woah.. when did the older Gears of War games get FPS Boost? I trued playing it earlier this year and they all, including Gears Ultimate Edition, all seem to run at sub-30fps frame rates!

But they're all fixed! :runaway:
Pretty sure they all got fps boosted from the first batch.
With ultimate dropping 1X enhancements, and running at 1080p60? Can't remember the specifics, just remember thinking that's why it should've got a specific patch.

Quick outline of June GDK update inc:
  • More available memory to games on XSS (memory optimized)
  • Improved performance for graphics memory allocations.
Hmm. Hopefully this will finally mean less weird frame hitching and dips. I often suspected those were memory issues since resolution were never impacted at those times.

Back