Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Megadrive1988, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Johnny Awesome

Veteran

2. Kugai Calo

Regular Newcomer

Ha! Now that you mentioned it, I must take my turn at endorsing Ori 2!

I think the only reason preventing Ori and the Will of the Wisps from being everyone's GOTY last year is just that it's 2D, and game journalists seems to favour big AAA narrative based game.

The levels and mechanisms are so well designed, the visual is beautiful and the music are joyful. If you play it on XSX you can choose to play 6K supersampled to 4K xor 120 Hz, either way it looks glorious.

To those who don't have an Xbox, you should play it too, it's also available on Switch and it's should be able to run on just about any modern PC.

3. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Its next in my games queue as soon a Assassin's Creed Odyssey is finished. I loved the original Ori so really looking forward to trying this out in 21:9. Unfortunately on an older GPU so only 60fps and sub 4k for me.

4. mr magoo

Regular Newcomer

this so much this. Whatever you are planning to play with your new XSX hold on and start with ori2. It’s just jaw dropping. Beautiful experience the fluidity of motion, snappy controls, gorgeous visuals and audio is soooo good. Playing .... no not playing experiencing ori2 for the first time on big screen with hdr and 4K is just something else. It’s like watching beautiful piece of art coming to life before your eyes.

5. DSoup

DSoup X
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I played the demo on Switch and it's not my thing. I grew up in the 8-bit era where a huge portion of what was released was side-scrolling exploring-fighting games things. Even decades later, I'm utterly burned out on these. It's certainly pretty, even on Switch, but graphics won't pull me through a game I'm not enjoying and there's not enough time to play things I don't actively want too.

I may well give Sea of Thieves a look-see though.

6. ThePissartist

Veteran Regular

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the XSX when you've got a minute to write things down. I wouldn't mind getting one myself, but it'd more likely be when there are some more exclusive (next gen) games available.

7. DSoup

DSoup X

No probs.

Depending on what time it arrives I may not set it up until tomorrow and I have no games I want to play it anytime soon on as I'm working my way through the Mass Effect Legendary Edition on the PlayStation. The Xbox comes with 3 months of Game Pass Ultimate though.

ThePissartist likes this.
  8. Kugai Calo

Regular Newcomer

Aw..

9. DSoup

DSoup X

Yes, I am very old! :yes: It would be a boring world if we all liked the same stuff.

Kugai Calo likes this.
  10. Shompola

Newcomer

Yes please play sea of thieves. Me, my six year old son and next door neighbor play together whenever there is time. One of the best games on Xbox IMO. I play on Xbox sade and can't imagine how it is on xsx. You're in for a treat!

eastmen likes this.
  11. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

I tried it on PC, it’s also on Gamepass, I do like the style but I liked Rayman Legends a bit more so far, sections like with the Wolf are actually pretty annoying and searching keys and stuff, it doesn’t quite seem to have the charm or polish of Legends in terms of graphics, multiplayer fun etc, but I’ll try it a bit more before I make up my mind definitively.

12. Kugai Calo

Regular Newcomer

Ori 2 is a rather punishingly hard game, even more so when you're playing on hard difficulty (where even clearing all the side quests doesn't quite prepare you for the final boss). I do find the wolf to be the least intuitive boss too, the other bosses clearly point you to the direction of improving your skill.

Pete likes this.
  13. Silent_Buddha

Legend

I don't know, I found the wolf to be incredibly obvious in what you have to do as soon as I saw him for the first time. You have a stick of fire. Just like regular wolves this one doesn't like fire. Smack him with it and as expected he retreats. Wait until he comes back and smack him again. Repeat until he goes away. For me, he was not only the easiest boss (expected as he's the tutorial boss) but the most easily understood.

Regards,
    SB

Johnny Awesome likes this.
  14. Kugai Calo

Regular Newcomer

Ha! To me it was the exact opposite, so much I had to look up videos of how others did it. Perhaps such pattern is more commonly present in action games, and I don’t play a lot of them.

15. Silent_Buddha

Legend

When watching people play, the ones that have the most problems are the ones that try to follow the wolf and want to try to kill it immediately. For me, since it was my first time playing I start off with a sort of Dark Souls approach of being patient and looking for what attack patterns the enemy will use. So the wolf was very obvious after the first couple exchanges and its behavior doesn't change.

The later bosses, some of which change their behavior based on what you are doing were far more interesting and challenging. :)

Regards,
    SB

16. Kugai Calo

Regular Newcomer

Yup, that’s me!

Overall I think this is one of the best games in the last decade, and a must play if you own an Xbox, especially on X|S where you get to play in 6K supersampled or 4K 120 Hz. It’s refreshing when a lot of games nowadays try to be movie.

AzBat, Johnny Awesome and mr magoo like this.
  17. Kugai Calo

Regular Newcomer

Forza Horizon 5 looks absolutely incredible for a cross-gen, and I can only imagine the later Forza Motorsports to be even more impressive.

Can’t wait to fill my expansion card with MSFS and FH5 later this year!

18. goonergaz

Veteran

XSX consoles currently available at game uk and not showing on stock informer which is odd…just thought I’d mention in case people still looking

ThePissartist and DSoup like this.
  19. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

I think series stock issues should be coming to an end soon here. Seems like a lot of people who wanted them are getting them finally.

20. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Not sure about the Series X, but the Series S appears to be doing better WRT supply vs. demand. It's down to 411 USD on Amazon US. The Series X is still over 1100 USD.

Interestingly, the Series S must be selling quite a bit in the US. It's the only next gen (PS5, XBS-X/S) console that is charting on Amazon US' 2021 best sellers for the year.

Amazon.com Best Sellers of 2021 in Video Games

So, it's selling more than either the PS5 or XBS-X in the US (#58 for 2021 as of this post) on Amazon for 2021. And this doesn't even count the EU versions that are sold here (different listing with different sales ranking). Wish the other global Amazon sites gave yearly best sellers also, but they seem to be limited to just hourly best sellers which are kind of useless.

Regards,
    SB

mr magoo likes this.