Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Megadrive1988, Dec 13, 2019.

1. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

booting from standby is still a lot quicker than a cold boot from the videos I have seen...

2. Kugai Calo

Newcomer

What if your power went out amid updating? You made such an stretched take.

Xbox One already updates the system during standby/sleep. And if you do ever interrupt an system update, there’s a way to recover without external aid already.

If you interrupt a game update, the game will be deleted, so there’s that.

VitaminB6 likes this.
  3. Kugai Calo

Newcomer

Yeah, but at least for me it’s acceptable, plus you get to see the lovely boot screen every time:-D:-D

4. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Yeah, a quick YT search has the first two results showing ~20sec for a cold boot (one, two). That's still slower than I remember, but I can't find the clip I'm thinking of (I thought it was in Richard's latest DF video, but I can't find it skimming the thumbnails). Linus shows 17secs to quick resume Doom Eternal from playing FF15 (at ~7:50), so some of that likely includes the time to hibernate FF15. He also shows a cold boot at ~1:48, but there are small jump cuts and they don't show the landing screen, just the log in, but it looks like a ~20sec boot.

5. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

if you know why something failed its a lot easier to get help then when you don't know what happened. So when a person calls support they can say hey i was doing an update and power went out vs I dunno what happened

6. Kugai Calo

Newcomer

In that case it can be simply solved by making the power button breathe while critical update is happening, since system update doesn’t happen often it won’t become an annoyance.

7. goonergaz

Veteran

I’ve never - ever - had an issue letting my consoles auto update, I have however been completely fed up when I go to play a game and I have to wait for an update.

PSman1700 and BRiT like this.
  8. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

could still be an issue when the system restarts itself and starts the update

games are a different story. I'm talking about full system updates

9. goonergaz

Veteran

It’s still the same if you need an update to do anything it’s a pain in the arse!

10. Kugai Calo

Newcomer

Just keep the power button breathing (like it already does), not a problem.

11. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

trust me i assure you that people still disconnect updating systems because they don't pay attention to the light.

JPT likes this.
  12. JPT

JPT
    Veteran

Who reads manuals? Nobody has any idea what that blinking button means anyway.

eastmen likes this.
  13. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

On pc we have never had any download and update while in standby. It has never been an issue to be fair, steam schedules updates and so does windows. W10 automatically 'knows' your times of active use and updates are installed accordingly. I have a 1gb/s connection and a fast pc/nvme, never had i have to wait for an update somewhere. If XSX has a system equal to that i dont see the issue.
    That changes when people are on slow dsl connections though, you'd have to leave the 29watt xsx on the whole night or something.

Another thing, W10 is never really in full shutdown, even if you press shutdown the system is in some kind of resume state. Hence the uptime in taskmanager counting every second since the first start, even the times the pc is shutdown. Probably the reason why booting only takes a second.

14. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

I can assure you that people force restarting windows laptops or letting an update happen when unplugged happens often

AntShaw likes this.
  15. Kugai Calo

Newcomer

So the feature can be turned off by default to cater for those who can’t read? You can design a system to be as fool-proof as imaginable but never retard-proof. (Although the system is kinda retard-proof by allowing you to recover an update failure without external tools)

PSman1700 likes this.
  16. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran

I've been able to pay my mortgage for the last 4-5 years because PS4's do this, and often can't recover. And every once and a while, an Xbox One. But mostly PS4's. Having looked at the teardowns, I'm more concerned that something like this would permanently kill a PS5, since the drive is integrated on the motherboard. Series X/S appears to be a removable module.

17. zed

zed
    Legend Veteran

thats slower than my PC from a cold boot and it runs windows 10

You would think the more limited game OS with faster hardware would be quicker

#2037 zed, Oct 21, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    egoless and Pete like this.
  18. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

its okay bro just put a light on it that breathes .

In all seriousness I know how much this affects xboxs and windows pcs and its something MS is aware of and strives to make better with every update.

19. turkey

Veteran Newcomer

I can admit to force restarting windows during "updates" many times. After about an hour stuck on the same percent you loose faith it's doing anything and kill it. Never had an issue with this so far.

On Xbox one I believe there is a deep boot ROM that applies the updates, it looked like it staged it somewhere and then applied it. This I assume is so power outages for whatever reason mean it just restarts the process. originally it always used to update this way for me but now I have not seen it in a couple of years so they have made the process more streamlined or worked out I am on GMT and update during my night not Redmond's. ;)

I would suspect that the update is designed around failure. If you plan it from the outset with worst case actions then it probably takes more steps copying or backing things up but it can cope with expected issues such as power failure during write to system files.

The Xbox one also has a force factory reset from USB recovery option, this works without the need for working video out and I believe uses the lower level boot ROM and not the OS at all.

You know errors happen between the controller and the chair so I am sure they have planned it to be idiot proof

Kugai Calo likes this.
  20. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Mechanical drives carry different (vastly higher) risk than solid state drives. Most mechanical drives have safeguards to prevent a 'free' head causing damage during a power cut but cheap drives may not - it's why they are cheap. Sony and Microsoft haven't said what filesystems nextgen consoles will use but it will almost certainly be a filesystem that supports journalising, making power cuts causing unrecoverable data loss or corruption impossible.

That's not to say nextgen consoles will not suffer filesystem corruption but it'll be recoverable and in all probability, incredibly quick. Unless the console alerts you to this, you probably won't even notice it.