Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Megadrive1988, Dec 13, 2019.

1. VitaminB6

Regular Newcomer

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-series-x-power-consumption-and-heat-analysis
    "I also noted that in instant resume 'standby' mode, the Series X still draws around 29W - enough for me to turn my machine off completely."

This sounds like there may be options for standby mode. If you're concerned about power draw maybe you can opt out of instant resume?

2. milk

milk Like Verified
    Veteran Regular

I think UI drawing is so simplistic fast, that doing AI upscalling on it will probably be more costly processing-wise than simply rendering it at native 4k from the get-go. That would be a negative-optimisation then.

Games see gains from DLSS and such because they run thousands of complex operations for every pixel, from texture blending shaders, to PBR surface light response, through screenspace raymarching for GI effects and volumetrics, then post effects on top of all that. All the while UI is rendering a few hundred textured quads...

I imagine the largest performance hog of a 4k render target in the context of an UI becomes simply the large memory bandwith spent on all those pixels, but even that still ends up being the case with AI upscalling, even if rendering at a sub-res you still end up touching all those 4k pixels in the final upscalling pass...

And if its so cheap, might as well do it as preciselly as possible. Of all things, detailed text amd iconography are the ones I shiver the most at the idea of any form of upscaling. Leave them sharp and precise, please. You can blur and halucinate our game's organic 3D worlds all you want, but leave the HUD as readable as technically possible.

thicc_gaf and ToTTenTranz like this.
  3. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

Was this info about MCC announced yet? First I'm seeing it...

Silent_Buddha, Pete, DSoup and 6 others like this.
  4. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

Nice, enables the ultimate experience for a very good price. I have it on pc.

5. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

halo 5 gotta be coming.

thicc_gaf, VitaminB6 and PSman1700 like this.
  6. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

Is the animation still half rate in places?

Sounds like the bare minium going by list imo.
    But better than nothing.

7. turkey

Veteran Newcomer

Also includes adjustable FOV that they did not list, so possibly Twitter limits rather than limited ambition.

Silent_Buddha, thicc_gaf and Jay like this.
  8. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

was half rate also in MCC? I thought it was a Halo 5 thing?

PSman1700 and VitaminB6 like this.
  9. dobwal

Legend Veteran

Given how quickly these console can power up. Maybe they should rename the mode from instant resume to background download mode.

Quick resume isn’t dependent on it anymore as you can literally unplug your series x and quick resume will still work after powering back up.

#2009 dobwal, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  10. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular Subscriber

Sure. About 1mn to load a suspended game from cold boot to gameplay.

Pete and VitaminB6 like this.
  11. dobwal

Legend Veteran

Does that looks like it takes a whole minute?

lt literally takes seconds to boot and even with her flipping back and forth trying decide what game she wants to quick resume the process still takes less than 30 seconds.

#2011 dobwal, Oct 20, 2020
    PSman1700, Kugai Calo and BRiT like this.
  12. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular Subscriber

Here about 35 seconds to load an indie game from cold boot. It depends of the game. I saw one with FF15

VitaminB6 likes this.
  13. dobwal

Legend Veteran

Then that’s a quick resume issue. How much time would be saved from coming from instant standby? 5 seconds?

Can u point me in the direction of this video because the only one I’ve run across shows FF15 taking only 7 seconds to quick resume? And most cold boot videos for the series x shows about 20 secs to main UI.

#2013 dobwal, Oct 20, 2020
    Pete likes this.
  14. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

I do wonder if even with the console not being in "standby mode", if they could still schedule wake up every 4 hours to do quick online update checks then go back to deep slumber if none are available. Thats the only reason I use standby, to hope it gets the updates out of the way before I want to game.

15. VitaminB6

Regular Newcomer

Seems like those concerned about power usage won't
    It would be cool if the shutdown screen had a "check for updates" option. Check for new updates, install them and shutdown after installation.

DSoup, AzBat and chris1515 like this.
  16. Kugai Calo

Newcomer

I think having it fully powered down but periodically waking it up to check updates makes a lot of sense. Now that cold boot is quick and Quick Resume is here to let you quickly get back into game, auto updating is the only missing piece.

VitaminB6 likes this.
  17. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Oh i want to move my xbox to the living room to play with my friends. Oh its off let me just unplug it and bring it to the living room{not understanding its doing a back up while shut down}. Plugs it back in and boom error on load up system is now bricked. Hmmm microsoft must make bad products

Pete likes this.
  18. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Legend Veteran

The issue with online games is that you have to update them to play online, which means waiting for the download plus install if your system isn't on standby when the update is pushed out. Can't they solve this annoyance by publishing updates a day or two before the servers require them so that people with slower connections can pre download (no install yet) and thus only have to wait on the install (which should be way, way faster with legit CPUs and SSDs) when launching the game?

Lalaland, VitaminB6 and function like this.
  19. Kugai Calo

Newcomer

?

20. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

that is why you don't do updates on a sleeping machine. You only ever do updates when a user knows an update is happening.