Xbox 360 price drop in UK/Europe and Elite pricing confirmed

Good move overall though, myself and many others have been clamoring for a core with wireless, HDMI, and a memory card.

Yep, although the difference to Premium isn't 100$/€ anymore, this move makes Core stand out as a very viable option. Basically Core is now ready for gaming and it's easy to upgrade it with HDD later on. Assuming this news is true of course.

I have a feeling that MS made so much changes to the hardware in last few months in comparison to first 15-16 months (maybe?) :???:

- 65nm CPU (July?)
- ELITE announcement (April)
- HDMI for Premiums and Arcade 360s (August)
- Heatsink (June?)
- Price cut (August)
- Info above
- Halo 3 Edition console (July?)

Movements like addition heatsink and 65nm CPU are good thing but sometimes all these 'cosmetic' changes makes me you know.... wondering around(?) as a consumer!

I called my local shop this afternoon, and they are taking my Premium (refurbished by MS) back for €200. So I'm jumping in for an Elite on Friday. I'll be getting a memory card tomorrow morning, transfering my saves on it, then I'll sell my Premium tomorrow afternoon, and pick up both the Elite and Blue Dragon on Friday.

Did the order number change between the new and the old premiums?

Good question, I was just including the Halo one. Since online places had ordering for premiums with and without HDMI there must be a separate SKUs to keep inventory straight, right?

Movements like addition heatsink and 65nm CPU are good thing but sometimes all these 'cosmetic' changes makes me you know.... wondering around(?) as a consumer!
On the one hand it's a lot in a short space, but changes are always happening with CE goods. It's just we get to hear about them here! eg. I didn't know PS2 went through some half dozen revisions prior to Slim. There were process shrinks and changes of which me, like consumers at large, was totally oblivious. I didn't worry about looking for the revision with the quieter fan or whatever. The only announced change was the PS2+, with quieter operation and a few less IO options. Most changes just happen, and it's only those who research them who know the benefits or negatives of these changes.

In a lot of industries, ignorance really is bliss!

Good question, I was just including the Halo one. Since online places had ordering for premiums with and without HDMI there must be a separate SKUs to keep inventory straight, right?
It's still not confirmed but it looks like the sku names will change somewhat.

Core ==> arcade
Premium==> pro

Not sure if this is true but it could help to keep stocks straight.

What will they do about old units? Ditch them, or have 5 SKU's on the shelves until they've managed to clear stock?
"I'd like an XB360 console please."
"Would that be the Core, Pro, Arcade, Elite or Premium?"

What will they do about old units? Ditch them, or have 5 SKU's on the shelves until they've managed to clear stock?
"I'd like an XB360 console please."
"Would that be the Core, Pro, Arcade, Elite or Premium?"
lol this is still rumors.
But may be MS is closer to have cleared the chanel than we think.
But yes it could be tough for consumers.
Anyway it will be tough, like do you want a premium with or without hdmi?
it could help to clearly identify hdmi/ non hdmi sku.

Anyway still rumors.

I am sure if Pros get HDMI then Premiums will be thrown into history, and same for Cores, so we still have three SKUs, which is maximal limit they should keep at in my opinion.

When did Shifty get promoted :oops: i don't mind revisions, they won't ever fix the problems imo :smile:

Nice. Can't wait to get the official info on this if true. If I had to wait till this year to buy one, then the cheaper Arcade Just Play SKU might have gotten some serious consideration. It's a much better value. They just need to bring down the price of the hard drive to make it more in line with the latest price drops. A $70 20gb HDD would make it easier to stomach.

Didn't the Prelite, no Promium...uh Premium already have the silver finish like the Pro.

I'm thinking the slide means that the "Go Pro" and "Just Play" SKUs are still the same(Chill White on both, but Silver chrome on the "Go Pro" and standard white on the "Just Play"). It looks like the images show a different case color, but I think that's only because of the poor Photoshop image tacked on the slide. BTW, the Elite only says "Black" not "Black finished".

Why the name change? It just unnecessarily confuses the buyers.
Core, Premium and Elite would've been just fine.
On second thought, Arcade, Pro and Elite are better than Core, Premium and Elite, especially as it's difficult to say by name only which is better Premium or Elite.
On third thought, three SKU's is a bit too much, especially as the difference between Pro and Elite is just the bigger HDD, which to add more confusion will be sold separately too.
Arcade and 120GB Pro would've been enough.

Edit: Maybe they named the Core "Arcade" because they want to drive home the message that it indeed is an xbox360 that is aimed to those who want to play Live Arcade games, and won't necessarily be able to run the newer games that might require a HDD to run.

Personally I think the Elite and Pro are just fine. The new Core is fine too, but the naming might need some work. Anyway, considering the relatively small uptake on the Core SKU till now, I'm sure they wanted to get of the "tard pack" stigma it's gotten among the fanboy crowd. Considering the new SKU has more value than the Core I agree that a name change was needed. But I'm not sure I agree about the Arcade moniker though. I would hope they aren't trying to give people the image it won't play the newer games requiring a hard drive and can only play Live Arcade games. That's a major goof waiting to happen. Something like "Fun Pack", "Starter Pack", "Basic" or maybe even the "Jump In Pack" would have been better. From the looks of the slide the name "Arcade" might be a placeholder. Let's hope.

Tommy McClain

People, all they did was change some names around and stuff, jeez.

I wonder if they'll bring this "Arcade" sku to America though? Lots of rumors that Core was being discontinued, maybe that was the replacement? It would be nice.

People, all they did was change some names around and stuff, jeez..

Actually, they added $85-110 in value to the core system.

It's now a viable SKU, which people can justify as a competetive deal. It should do quite well at lower pricepoints, at $199 a package like this would sell extremely well IMO.

It's now a viable SKU, which people can justify as a competetive deal. It should do quite well at lower pricepoints, at $199 a package like this would sell extremely well IMO.

absolutely

$279. HDMI, 256 MB memory card wireless controller?

all of the shortcomings are more or less addressed for J6P.

I find it humorous as I read here and elsewhere people talking as if they "fixed" the Core. IMO, this is the strategy I saw all along (and you and I have been saying this for 2 years ;)). they had a $299 entry point but it is was gimped so as not to impede the value of the other main system(s) but at a cost to be not a big money loser.

Now as costs come down the can add to the package and make it the impulse buy (LARGEST MARKET) for those that do not care about the full features that the HDD brings. they still have access to Xbox Live messaging and friends features etc and arcade games and it allows them to add things at their leisure as needs change.

I find it humorous as I read here and elsewhere people talking as if they "fixed" the Core. IMO, this is the strategy I saw all along (and you and I have been saying this for 2 years ;)). they had a $299 entry point but it is was gimped so as not to impede the value of the other main system(s) but at a cost to be not a big money loser.

Now as costs come down the can add to the package and make it the impulse buy (LARGEST MARKET) for those that do not care about the full features that the HDD brings. they still have access to Xbox Live messaging and friends features etc and arcade games and it allows them to add things at their leisure as needs change.

I don't see how saying fixing the core and it being part of their strategy is contradictory? You guys certainly were not the only ones saying that the Core will become more important in the future. Core became solid now, when it was a bad deal previously, I think it's fairly accurate to say that they fixed it. Core's full potential will be unleashed when it'll hit 199$ though... That's the impulse buy mass market price and once Core hits that with this new setup, It'll fly off the shelves.

I don't see how saying fixing the core and it being part of their strategy is contradictory? You guys certainly were not the only ones saying that the Core will become more important in the future. Core became solid now, when it was a bad deal previously, I think it's fairly accurate to say that they fixed it. Core's full potential will be unleashed when it'll hit 199$ though... That's the impulse buy mass market price and once Core hits that with this new setup, It'll fly off the shelves.

true

I meant "fixed" in that thinking it was not their strategy all along.

there is always that knee jerk reaction with people claiming outrage at how "stupid" some company's strategy is based on only the evidence in front of them. I don't know how many times I've read "drop the core!". Their strategy, however was probably a 6 (8?) year plan and they are certainly not going to unveil it up front. so on the surface it looks stupid but when you can see the big picture, you see the method to the madness.

there is of course, flexibility built into the plan but some people seem to think they make this stuff up as they go based on what is said on message boards. ;):LOL:

this is a good (at least better) deal for anyone that's been on the fence IMO.

$199 is sweet spot though, as you said.

Last edited by a moderator:
My local shop received their allocation of Elite today. They don't appear to have any of the new Premiums/Pros, though. Interest in the Elite seems mild, because I was able to preorder one without any deposit needed 3 days before launch...

All they really did was $30 cut (which is nice, btw).

HDMI is a seamless transition anyway, no value. A different controller connection method, also no true value.

But you save $30 for the mandatory mem card you would have had to buy before.

Back