Console pricing thread

This is the store that's ran by 20 year olds playing SF4 and talking to their friends when I'm shopping? They must know MS's secret plans, right?

I always wonder when this stigma is going to end.

I work at Gamestop part time, I'm 25, and I'm pretty knowledgeable about games, and the industry in general. Simply watching "forums" and consumer reports is enough to gather up info and make educated guesses.

To add to that, this isn't a new rumor generated by Gamestop employess, it's been going around for a few weeks. I think it's fair to assume this is something that will happen, as it's not unheard of or out of the ordinary. As it stands, the Elite pack probably makes the smallest amount of money for MS, and simply upgrading the PRO to a bigger HDD will probably offer a sales spike boost w/out a price drop, while still keeping the system moderately profitable.

You know there are moer people than just the ones you see in the store. Some of them actually know stuff. They ship some people to vegas each year for a trade show that has exclusive previews of games sometimes those not even seen in e3.

But I'm sure you knew that.

"I want to pre-order Ratchet and Clank"

"What system is that for?"

I have lived down the street from GS for six years now, nothing about its employees instill confidence about industry insider info, or gaming in general (they seem to know WoW well enough though). They are a bunch of kids who will work for cheap. I would nearly fall over dead if I ever saw someone over 30 managing them, it seems to be Lord of the Flies at the store near me.

"I want to pre-order Ratchet and Clank"

"What system is that for?"

I have lived down the street from GS for six years now, nothing about its employees instill confidence about industry insider info, or gaming in general (they seem to know WoW well enough though). They are a bunch of kids who will work for cheap. I would nearly fall over dead if I ever saw someone over 30 managing them, it seems to be Lord of the Flies at the store near me.

So....

The store near you = all stores?

I don't think it's appropriate to extrapolate your situation on everyone else.

Also, it's hardly necessary to rag on these folks who are trying to make money. What have they done to you? You act as though this is a situation exclusive to gamestop, when the reality is that every single retail center on the planet has the same issues. There's no need for you to be a jerk just because you "know" more than they do about the "industry".

If you're being a dick about it when you get your games, you aren't doing much to remedy the situation. When I visit other Gamestops, I often keep a level head and open up some discussion, and maybe provide some advice. Afterall, you don't know what you don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
So....

The store near you = all stores?

I don't think it's appropriate to extrapolate your situation on everyone else.

Touchy subject? If you have met or were a knowledgeable GS stop employee great, but this is an exception not the norm. My experiences are echoed throughout the web. Hiring young folks who work for little pay with experience in video games in a recipe in slacker employees who have more bias than knowledge.

And no it's not just the store near me, I've been to dozens of them through my life and they are all the same. It's like the McDonald's of video game retailers.

Touchy subject? If you have met or were a knowledgeable GS stop employee great, but this is an exception not the norm. My experiences are echoed throughout the web. Hiring young folks who work for little pay with experience in video games in a recipe in slacker employees who have more bias than knowledge.

And no it's not just the store near me, I've been to dozens of them through my life and they are all the same. It's like the McDonald's of video game retailers.

It's not a touchy subject, just a ridiculous generalization. You're essentially painting a picture of Gamestop as this place for tools to work, when the reality is, you're describing every single retail outlet on the planet.

The problem is not exclusive to this one retailer. Nor should you expect everyone that works at this store to be an analyst.

Lastly, why does it matter if they have a bias? Is it really that hard to just ignore it? I never understood why so many people complain about Gamestop, yet are far more extreme about their games and their bias than any of those employees are.

I mean, do you really think sifting through sales numbers and counting pixels makes you a better person or gamer?

It's ridiculous, and offensive. Not because I am employed there part time, but because it makes "gamers" look like elitist pricks who don't want "casuals" invading their space. Anyway, I'm done with this discussion, it's way off topic.

Regardless of whether Gamestop is populated by mouthbreathers or by the gamerati, it's not really a very reliable source for breaking news. Occasionally they'll be correct, but they're also a good source for false rumors. Remember that last year, before the actual 360 price drop we were hearing about potential drops every month for about half a year.

Regardless of whether Gamestop is populated by mouthbreathers or by the gamerati, it's not really a very reliable source for breaking news. Occasionally they'll be correct, but they're also a good source for false rumors. Remember that last year, before the actual 360 price drop we were hearing about potential drops every month for about half a year.

of course , thats because info goes through the grape vine. However I heard this directly from a regional manager and a district manager. So its a bit higher up than a part time associate that gets minimum wage.

There wont be a pricedrop with the currencies still being so volatile it would be negligent to do so. If it wasnt for the Yen shock at the backend of last year there'd of been a pricedrop last fall.

Back