Console pricing thread

Well if MS started selling the 360 for $1 then they'd probably sell even more. ;)

But why wouldn't MS do that? I think when we look at extremes, we come back to realizing that there are several cross-currents in the calculus. For my part, I don't expect the Arcade to go down to $149 anytime soon.

It may, I dont know, MS pricing is always interesting to me because they have so many SKU's. I'm not sure where they go from here, how much cheaper can Arcade get? They've reinvented themselves many times already SKU wise. For example, at one point I was doubtful Arcade/Core would ever be accepted by the populous because of no HDD, there was no indication to me it would be. Yet they pulled it off with the 199 point.

Going forward, one problem is the prices on the higher skus get low enough it seems to me Arcade could be marginalized again, making a defacto price hike again. Say Pro goes to 249..it seems consumers would say why not get pro, and then they might say, why not get 299 PS3 (at that time hypothetically)?

Basically it's possible MS may shift the sales burden towards any give sku depending on price structure, with various attendant affects. Will they shift it back to Pro or even Elite next time? What if the next structure looks like $169/$249/$349? $249 is the obvious choice. 249 is a defacto price hike if 199 is the best selling sku today..

I'm skeptical MS can get Arcade down to 149 with next cut (which I assume in Fall). I'm guessing 169 or 179. I believe Arcade is losing money, because a recent MS interview described that they chose to "invest" in getting Arcade at 199 (among other things). That term suggests it's a money loser.

My pet idea for the next round from MS is to eliminate the Elite SKU, it only complicates things. Actually do this by dropping the pro. Have two SKU's, Elite and Arcade, priced at 169/269. Then you figure the ASP would be maybe like 240 out of that combo, because I'm assuming Elite would be the dominant SKU at those prices. But lets say the ASP ends up midway, 220. Well the current ASP is 270 according to NPD, so it's a 50 cut. I think people would flock to the idea of an former "Elite" being so "cheap". But then, people might see a potential PS3 at 299, and perhaps it would really hurt 360 sales with this 169/269 structure. It's tough to say.

Basically the multi-SKU structure is a delicate balancing act, you dont want to in essence make the higher end SKU's too relatively attractive, because then you have a defacto price hike. This is one reason I think the Elite is in a good place right now. It's highly marginalized. It's there to skim a few bucks from well off people for whom price is little object, which was the original intent imo. But if you sweetened the pot by adding say, wi-fi, and a game, ironically you risk making it too attractive, you risk Joe Blow saying, "well if I get a 360 it has to be the Elite or nothing because thats the best deal, so I'll not get one or get a PS3 because the Elite is rather expensive"

Last edited by a moderator:
In France Ms has renewed his Christmas operation for Halo wars launch.
From february 27th till marsh 31th they offer a 40 Euro rebate on the premium and the elite sku.
Is it the same in others European countries?

I was in future shop last night and they had a Holiday Bundle 360 Pro(60GB) with two games for $269.99 CDN. Pretty amazing deal.I wold have picked it up but with my previous problems with 360's I wanted to make sure it was the latest revision which the associate couldn't confirm. I know that the arcade version weren't the latest because the memory card was still the plug in type instead of directly in the mobo.
Plus I'm not sure if you buy a 360 now if the AV cable has the plug in for fibre optic audio cable or wether you have to buy an upgraded cable. I know it has the HDMI out separate,but I use fibre optic for my audio.

I was in future shop last night and they had a Holiday Bundle 360 Pro(60GB) with two games for $269.99 CDN. Pretty amazing deal.I wold have picked it up but with my previous problems with 360's I wanted to make sure it was the latest revision which the associate couldn't confirm. I know that the arcade version weren't the latest because the memory card was still the plug in type instead of directly in the mobo.
Plus I'm not sure if you buy a 360 now if the AV cable has the plug in for fibre optic audio cable or wether you have to buy an upgraded cable. I know it has the HDMI out separate,but I use fibre optic for my audio.

All Arcade SKUs ship with a simple _composite(RCA)_ cable. It does not have an optical out on the cable. In order to get that you would need to get either the Pro or Elite SKU since both ship with the _component_ cable that has the optical out on the cable. BTW, the Elite also comes with an HDMI cable and an audio dongle that gives you both optical & RCA outputs.

BTW, if you were to buy any official Microsoft AV cable(S-Video, VGA, etc) at retail separately they would all have the digital optical out.

If you're in the US you're pretty much guaranteed to get a Jasper unit if you buy an Arcade SKU, but with a Pro or Elite, Jaspers are much harder to come by. I've also heard the Jaspers in Europe are still scarce no matter the SKU.

Tommy McClain

All Arcade SKUs ship with a simple _composite(RCA)_ cable. It does not have an optical out on the cable. In order to get that you would need to get either the Pro or Elite SKU since both ship with the _component_ cable that has the optical out on the cable. BTW, the Elite also comes with an HDMI cable and an audio dongle that gives you both optical & RCA outputs.

BTW, if you were to buy any official Microsoft AV cable(S-Video, VGA, etc) at retail separately they would all have the digital optical out.

If you're in the US you're pretty much guaranteed to get a Jasper unit if you buy an Arcade SKU, but with a Pro or Elite, Jaspers are much harder to come by. I've also heard the Jaspers in Europe are still scarce no matter the SKU.

Tommy McClain

Thanks for the info. So ssuming the Pro's stay at $269.99(which they have been at since Xmas) they are the better deal. $199.99 Arcade+ $60 MS cables and I'm only $10 less than the Pro.
I found a "360 revisions" information website with serial numbers to indentify the models. I will wait until I can find a Pro that is at the latest revision.

Thanks for the info. So ssuming the Pro's stay at $269.99(which they have been at since Xmas) they are the better deal. $199.99 Arcade+ $60 MS cables and I'm only $10 less than the Pro.
I found a "360 revisions" information website with serial numbers to indentify the models. I will wait until I can find a Pro that is at the latest revision.

Well, there's also 3rd party cables you can purchase for far cheaper than the MS ones.

However, if you plan on going to HD (high def audio and video), then the Pro is better deal all around anyways, especially since it has an included HD.

Friend of mine got an Arcade, but all he's going to use it for is Netflix streaming and possibly as a media extender. No games...

Regards,
SB

Like Silent_buddha said knockoff cables would be much cheaper, but then again you're not guaranteed on quality. Also, Microsoft cables are not $60. They run from $30 for the S-Video/Composite cable to $50 for the HDMI/Audio dongle cables. Component & VGA run $40. But again, getting the Pro from the start is a much better value, unless you plan on using HDMI.

As for finding a Jasper, just inspect the boxes yourself. If it reads 12.1A on the back of the console(look through the window on the box), then it's a Jasper.

Tommy McClain

. But again, getting the Pro from the start is a much better value, unless you plan on using HDMI.

Tommy McClain

I do plan on using HDMI. I run HDMI for my video and fibre optic for my audio to my receiver(which does not have HDMI switching or any HDMI ports). Why would the Pro not be a good deal? Don't the Pro Cables come with the fibre optic out or is that only the HDMI cables with Elite?
My understanding was that all sku's have the seperate HDMI port,I'm just not sure which cables I need to use firbre optic audo for audio.

I do plan on using HDMI. I run HDMI for my video and fibre optic for my audio to my receiver(which does not have HDMI switching or any HDMI ports). Why would the Pro not be a good deal? Don't the Pro Cables come with the fibre optic out or is that only the HDMI cables with Elite?
My understanding was that all sku's have the seperate HDMI port,I'm just not sure which cables I need to use firbre optic audo for audio.

Check this post by Laa-Yosh...

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1096860#post1096860

Basically you can't plug in an HDMI cable AND the AV cable(for the optical out) at the same time. The AV cable is too big and the AV port & HDMI port are too close together. However, Microsoft provides a low profile HDMI cable & specially made audio dongle that provides the audio out(optical and RCA). If all you're going to use the AV port for is just optical audio out, then you really need that dongle. It comes with the Elite, but not the Pro. BTW, it also comes with the $50 HDMI cable that Microsoft makes for retail.

Tommy McClain

The pro is the better all around good deal unless you don't need the HD or component cables or headset...

In other words, if you don't plan on ever using Xbox Live to download demo's, movies, etc or play games on Live. Then Arcade is better value as it has enough space to store your save games.

Although with a HD you can also play games fromt he HD. I haven't used this feature myself as I don't mind the load times on the drive, and can't hear it over the stereo.

Oh and I think the arcade uses a wired controller.

Regards,
SB

The pro is the better all around good deal unless you don't need the HD or component cables or headset...

In other words, if you don't plan on ever using Xbox Live to download demo's, movies, etc or play games on Live. Then Arcade is better value as it has enough space to store your save games.

Although with a HD you can also play games fromt he HD. I haven't used this feature myself as I don't mind the load times on the drive, and can't hear it over the stereo.

Oh and I think the arcade uses a wired controller.

Regards,
SB

Agreed on all points, except the last. ;) The Arcade does have a wireless controller. Microsoft dropped the wired controller when they dropped the Core.

Tommy McClain

If all you're going to use the AV port for is just optical audio out, then you really need that dongle. It comes with the Elite, but not the Pro. BTW, it also comes with the $50 HDMI cable that Microsoft makes for retail.

Or just strip the plastic off from the component cord and then it fits alonside the HDMI cable. It's very easy to do.

Well rather than make a seperate thread I'll put this here

We have been following a rumor that we have been hearing from a couple of our sources that suggests Microsoft may be ending the sale of the Xbox 360 Elite in many parts of the world, with the Elite moving into a more limited edition role in the Xbox 360 console line up.

The story that we are hearing goes something like this… Microsoft will stop taking orders for the Xbox 360 Elite at some point during the second quarter and allow inventory of the Elite consoles to start to run down. The majority of retailers would prefer just a low-end and a high-end console, so this change will be made during the second quarter, which is the fourth fiscal quarter for Microsoft.

Once inventory is depleted, the Elite system will move to more of a limited edition role that will be available only at select retailers, and likely only in North America and Europe. The Elite consoles that will be available in these areas sbould be more like the recent Resident Evil 5 Red Elite Limited Edition console, rather than the standard Elite package that Microsoft has offered in the past.

The rumor going around Gamestop is that the elite will be phased out , the pro will get an upgrade to a 120 gig drive and then for $150 you can buy a 250 gig drive. Both coming in late sept. The core will stay the same and it will maintain a $100 price diffrence from the pro system

The rumor going around Gamestop is that the elite will be phased out , the pro will get an upgrade to a 120 gig drive and then for $150 you can buy a 250 gig drive. Both coming in late sept. The core will stay the same and it will maintain a $100 price diffrence from the pro system

Sounds about right, would be nice if the 120GB HDD in pro thing happened.

I've been expecting for them to offer a 320GB HDD or so as an accessory. Makes sense with laptop HDD prices having fallen so much.

As the article states, retailers only want a low and high end SKU. That makes a lot of sense and would simplify thing. I proposed eliminating the Pro and replacing it with the price dropped Elite, this is just a variation on that.

If the pro gets a 120GB, then I assume the new limited edition Elites would get the 250GB. Again if it all comes to pass, very nice upgrades.

The Fudzilla article mentions something about MS possibly raising prices on future special edition game pack in Elites? I dont expect that to happen, especially since they didnt on the RE5 pack. Would be a bad move imo.

But future 399 special edition Elites with pack in game+extras (like the RE5 edition) and 250GB HDD would be very nice. Of course depending on where PS3 pricing is at that point, all this may be in flux.

So what would happen if they are phased out, because I bought instore warranty for 360 Elite? Means I will have to go for Pros now then yeah?

This is the store that's ran by 20 year olds playing SF4 and talking to their friends when I'm shopping? They must know MS's secret plans, right?

As a followup to my post. Over here Fnac has the following SKUs:

Arcade: 189.99 Euros (comes with 5 games - pacman, uno, etc.)
Pro (60GB): 249.99 Euros
Elite (120GB): 299.99 Euros

"Best of Halo" Bundle: 279.99 Euros (comes with XBOX 360 Pro, Halo 3 and Halo Wars).

This is the store that's ran by 20 year olds playing SF4 and talking to their friends when I'm shopping? They must know MS's secret plans, right?

You know there are moer people than just the ones you see in the store. Some of them actually know stuff. They ship some people to vegas each year for a trade show that has exclusive previews of games sometimes those not even seen in e3.

But I'm sure you knew that.

Back