Console pricing thread

Microsoft are really turning the screw - you have to wonder if this is the 'masterplan' previously discussed by their PRs in conquering the PAL territories, where typically the PlayStation brand is all-powerful.

It seems that in various places the PS3 is now being sold at 299 euro. For instance in Belgium and the Netherlands there are movie bundles including the movie 300 at 299, apparently in some stores even including a free game (any from Fallout 3, Motorstorm, GTAIV and Singstar Abba) and the remote.
In Belgium there is also bundle a PS3 console + 2 (recent top, no premium titles) games by choice for 399 euro. Knowing that games cost +/- 70 euro it is a imaginary gift of 140 euros.

A friend of my works for Game Mania (biggest game retailer here in Belgium) and he told me the free games where being paid by Sony Benelux. So it is an offer that is coming from Sony instead of the shop.

I just was in one of those stores (Bart Smit) and they do advertise the price. I'm not sure how aggressively they advertise it outside of the stores though, I'm watching a lot of advertising free content these days ;) (we just treated ourselves to another stack of TV-series boxes, including House 4, The Wire 4, etc.)
Bart Smit also had an offer (clearing stock) some time ago. PS3 40GB for 250 euro when ordering online.

"Janco’s Mike Hickey ('analyst') has speculated that Sony may be on the verge of announcing a hefty PS3 price cut."

And he goes on to suggest that Sony will be announcing in a couple of days a price-cut to happen in April?! Would love to know his reasoning for that one...

"Janco’s Mike Hickey ('analyst') has speculated that Sony may be on the verge of announcing a hefty PS3 price cut."

And he goes on to suggest that Sony will be announcing in a couple of days a price-cut to happen in April?! Would love to know his reasoning for that one...

http://www.edge-online.com/news/analyst-ps3-price-cut-chatter-rising

"We are also hearing continued speculation that Sony is working on a non-Blu-ray PS3 console, which could enable them to make the aforementioned hardware price reduction."

OMG! :devilish:

I've seen posts all over t'internet about that non-bluray comment ... and if any of the f'n idiots who've posted those comments had bothered to read the Edge article it says very clearly
Hickey also passed on rumours of a radical change in the PS3 hardware strategy.
I'm sorry, but how much more f'n obvious does it have to be!

F'n idiots!

edit
Sorry Rangers, I'm not having a go at you it's just frustrating to me ...
also edit
sorry, my bad for swearing :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG! :devilish:

I've seen posts all over t'internet about that non-bluray comment ... and if any of the Pink Rabbits who's posted those comments had bothered to read the Edge article it says very clearly I'm sorry, but how much more Pink does it have to be!

Pink Rabbits!

edit
Sorry Rangers, I'm not having a go at you it's just frustrating to me ...

What's your point? The analyst clearly speculates on the possibility that there could be an sku without the Blu-ray, which is retarded as it's perfectly clear that there will never be one.

Yes, yes, but the article clearly states "he passed on rumours ...", but folks all over the internet are acting like it was an idea he was promoting instead of rejecting (that's what "he passed on" implies, right?)

The point is, analysts don't know anything more than anyone else, and sometimes a lot less. I don't think there's any point in dogging the guy too hard, but at the same time his stating that he thinks he's on to a strategy over in Playstation land means next to nothing. Is he saying anything there that hasn't been debated a hundred times too many on this very forum (retail velocity)? Certainly not. Sure I'll believe an April price-cut, afterall the reasons for and against and the associated facts have been discussed at length. But the entirety of the "news-worthiness" of the article then is the idea of a BD-less SKU... something that if I think the guy had any conception concerning the implications of, he wouldn't bother 'passing on,' as it is so absurdly bogus a notion.

It's too bad, it would be hard to resist a 199 USD PS3. It's unfortunate for Sony that there is no way in heck they could pull it off however.

MS made the right move by moving the Arcade down to 199. And if they cut it to 149 for the 2009 holiday season it's going to sell like hotcakes. Even if the economy is still in a recession. The question then becomes will that prompt enough of an increase in accessories and software sales to justify a possible loss on each console sold.

Regards,
SB

but folks all over the internet are acting like it was an idea he was promoting instead of rejecting (that's what "he passed on" implies, right?)

To the others: 'passed on rumors' in other words would mean 'transmitting rumors' and not 'denying rumors', wouldn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's too bad, it would be hard to resist a 199 USD PS3. It's unfortunate for Sony that there is no way in heck they could pull it off however.

MS made the right move by moving the Arcade down to 199. And if they cut it to 149 for the 2009 holiday season it's going to sell like hotcakes. Even if the economy is still in a recession.

Regards,
SB

Well if MS started selling the 360 for $1 then they'd probably sell even more. ;)

But why wouldn't MS do that? I think when we look at extremes, we come back to realizing that there are several cross-currents in the calculus. For my part, I don't expect the Arcade to go down to $149 anytime soon.

Yes, yes, but the article clearly states "he passed on rumours ...", but folks all over the internet are acting like it was an idea he was promoting instead of rejecting (that's what "he passed on" implies, right?)

"Passing on" means atleast in this context that he let others know what he had heard. He wasn't rejecting it... He did mention that it would fracture the user base, but then went on to speculate that there might still be some merit to this rumour as Blu-ray is mentioned to be the primary reason for the high cost of PS3.

It should be a balance of value and price. e.g., Nintendo doesn't need to go so cheap to sell (much) better than its competitors.

In any case, I doubt people are waiting for PS3 to drop price now. Sony has primed the market well regarding the PS3's higher price.

Well if MS started selling the 360 for $1 then they'd probably sell even more. ;)

But why wouldn't MS do that? I think when we look at extremes, we come back to realizing that there are several cross-currents in the calculus. For my part, I don't expect the Arcade to go down to $149 anytime soon.

Not saying they would or they wouldn't, but the possibility is there along with the right time frame. Likewise they've had a habit of cutting prices about once a year.

Although realistically, if there's no pressure from Sony on the PS3 front, a more realistic price cut would put it to $179.

And unfortunately the dangers of editing a post. I was also commenting on this only making sense if MS feels the addiontional software and accessories sales (profit) would be greater than the loss per console.

Regards,
SB

Hmm... why is the PSP revamp rumor in the pricing thread ? :)
The rumor has no timeframe. For all we know, PSP-4000 may be a minor change. The removal of UMD may happen in another product (PSP Phone or PSP 2).
(EDIT: Ah okay, PSP rumor deleted).

Also, if it's just abnormal channel activities, Sony could easily revise the SKU without lowering the price. They just had a Destination Playstation retailer event, Mike Hickey shouldn't need to observe channel activities to learn about impending price adjustment (if he's well connected enough that is).

Back