Xbox 360 price drop to $299 confirmed, Pro phased out

Here´s a reminder of the 360 launch in Japan, don´t think they ever raised the price.

Actually, that's not quite correct. The RRP for the 360 20GB at launch in Japan was 39,795 yen, which equated to around $340 for that months exchange rate. So yes, cheaper than the US RRP of $399 and clearly an attempt to go in at a competitive price point.

For what it's worth, the UK launch price was £237.45 (exclusive of VAT) which at the time converted to around $408. Pretty close to the US RRP. It also means that the 360 20GB was £40 more expensive in the UK than Japan, not the £90 that article quotes.

However, for quite some time now the prices have been very similar across the Japan, EU/UK and US regions. Sorry if you don't like it, but it's the case.

If you think "MS strives for something approaching price parity across the regions", I am sorry to say it, but then you are a bit disillusional. They skew the price within some margins to achieve their hw sales goals as all the contenders. Europe is a more expensive market to sell to I didn´t think anyone would argue about that, heterogenous marketing, higher wages for store personnel etc.

Mod edit : There's no need for insulting language. Just argue you position. The facts, as they stand today, is that MS has something approaching price-parity (with the exclusion of Japan, who have not yet received the recent price drops) across the major selling regions and this has been the situation for a long time.

If you still think "MS strives for something approaching price parity across the regions" compare the pricing of gold memberships for a reality check.

That is, as I'm sure you are more than aware, something of a red herring. It is primarily sold as software and is priced accordingly. As such, as European margins in software are much higher than in the US, most retailers offer greater discounts.

Looking at Amazon (and excluding marketplace) in Germany, US and UK you have DE at $50.74, UK at $49.08 and US at $41.99. Of course, in all 3 regions there are better offers. But I agree the $7-8 difference is not really acceptable.

Still just the Elite sliding into the Pro spot, no? So not really a price drop which is what I think liolio probably meant.

Actually, that's not quite correct. The RRP for the 360 20GB at launch in Japan was 39,795 yen, which equated to around $340 for that months exchange rate. So yes, cheaper than the US RRP of $399 and clearly an attempt to go in at a competitive price point.

For what it's worth, the UK launch price was £237.45 (exclusive of VAT) which at the time converted to around $408. Pretty close to the US RRP. It also means that the 360 20GB was £40 more expensive in the UK than Japan, not the £90 that article quotes.

However, for quite some time now the prices have been very similar across the Japan, EU/UK and US regions. Sorry if you don't like it, but it's the case.

It must be nice to be in a position to completely disregard all the facts and just spout "delusional". I would say that you (and others) are in denial. The facts, as they stand today, is that MS has something approaching price-parity (with the exclusion of Japan, who have not yet received the recent price drops) across the major selling regions and this has been the situation for a long time.

That is, as I'm sure you are more than aware, something of a red herring. It is primarily sold as software and is priced accordingly. As such, as European margins in software are much higher than in the US, most retailers offer greater discounts.

Looking at Amazon (and excluding marketplace) in Germany, US and UK you have DE at $50.74, UK at $49.08 and US at $41.99. Of course, in all 3 regions there are better offers. But I agree the $7-8 difference is not really acceptable.

So I am in denial, I will not spend time cherry picking parts of your post, but there is plenty of stuff in there that could be used to argue that you are in denial. Let us stick to the core of what we disagree about and please don´t put words in my mouth.

If you can explain the business logic why MS is "striving" for price parity between Europe and NA, (Note, I am not questioning that they are approaching parity, I am questioning your claim that they are "striving" for it like it was a goal), and please explain why marketing, distribution, sales should be expected to cost the same in the US and Europe and why MS no longer consider the consoles market share when deciding the console price, which they obviously have done in the past.

I will be happy to admit I am in denial, if you can give good explanations to this.

New Holiday Game Bundles

Microsoft announced 2 new games for the Elite SKU in the US:

Lego Batman & Pure
3963754871_da01921e58_m.jpg

Looks like Ars was correct

One thing they didn't know was the Wireless Controller Game Pack...

3963744845_7242063b15_m.jpg

$60 for a black wireless controller & 4 Live Arcade Games (Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2, Lumines LIVE!, Bomberman LIVE! and Ms Pac-Man).

Interesting they went that direction instead of adding new different games to the Arcade SKU. Maybe the took a page from Nintendo?

http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2009/09/29/xbox-360-holiday-bundles.aspx

Tommy McClain

Now they are bundling games with a controller?? Weird. May work, though.

Pure and Lego Batman is another uninspiring bundle. They seem to always target families with these. At least Pure is a bit more hardcore.

But honestly I'm about to get an Elite and I dont care enough about these two games to even try to get that edition.

Would be nice if they tried to do some kind of more hardcore slanted bundle.

Pure and Lego Batman is another uninspiring bundle. <snip> At least Pure is a bit more hardcore.

Disagreed on both counts. The Lego Batman games may be an instant casual attraction but they are hardcore games if you decide to go for free-play and 100% completion. It's normal to "finish" the game with ~50% completion. Same deal with Mario 64 and Donkey Kong Country. Everyone plays them, only hardcore finish them.

Having played the demo for Pure (hating the loading times, oh my hot, those loading times!!!) and coming in first everytime without even paying attention, after multiple crashes and whatnot I'd say Lego Batman is more challenging too once you try to do more than just get to the end of each level.

The Lego games get a really bad rep. I've 100% completed the first Lego Star Wars, nearly there with Star Wars 2, around 80% on Lego Batman and 70% on Lego Indiana Jones (stopped because there's an Indiana Jones 2 coming that will feature the first game + fourth movie). They're the most fun I've had on any gaming franchise, and certainly the greatest string of movie-licenced games around.

I dislike Harry Potter with a passion but even I'm waiting for Lego Harry Potter. Now if only they'd do a Lego Lord of the Rings... :D

Anyway, about the bundles: the controller bundle is a steal. MS should have a similar one for G4WL.... oh wait, they *still* don't have a G4WL Arcade.

/me counting the days until I can play MegaMan 9 on my PC

They are...

I mean the standard, every holiday season 299 2 game bundle, specifically.

I actually dislike the MW/COD games enough that the the MW branding is enough to turn me off that SKU, even though I like the color scheme and the value is excellent.

Disagreed on both counts. The Lego Batman games may be an instant casual attraction but they are hardcore games if you decide to go for free-play and 100% completion. It's normal to "finish" the game with ~50% completion. Same deal with Mario 64 and Donkey Kong Country. Everyone plays them, only hardcore finish them.

Having played the demo for Pure (hating the loading times, oh my hot, those loading times!!!) and coming in first everytime without even paying attention, after multiple crashes and whatnot I'd say Lego Batman is more challenging too once you try to do more than just get to the end of each level.

The Lego games get a really bad rep. I've 100% completed the first Lego Star Wars, nearly there with Star Wars 2, around 80% on Lego Batman and 70% on Lego Indiana Jones (stopped because there's an Indiana Jones 2 coming that will feature the first game + fourth movie). They're the most fun I've had on any gaming franchise, and certainly the greatest string of movie-licenced games around.

I dislike Harry Potter with a passion but even I'm waiting for Lego Harry Potter. Now if only they'd do a Lego Lord of the Rings...

Anyway, about the bundles: the controller bundle is a steal. MS should have a similar one for G4WL.... oh wait, they *still* don't have a G4WL Arcade.

/me counting the days until I can play MegaMan 9 on my PC

I guess, I just dont have any interest them. Last years bundle was Kung Fu Panda and Lego Indy. Extremely family targeted imo. This year could be argued a step in the right direction because at least Pure is a more hardcore game. But I still am not really interested.

I'd like to see them do something like a PGR4 and perhaps..any 2nd tier FPS that didn't sell that well (of course a top tier or best selling FPS would be infeasible). Or how about a game like Mirrors Edge? I'd be very interested in that. And then they should throw in a cool XBLA game like Ikaragu too.

I mean the standard, every holiday season 299 2 game bundle, specifically.

I actually dislike the MW/COD games enough that the the MW branding is enough to turn me off that SKU, even though I like the color scheme and the value is excellent.

Regardless of that, you can get this new Elite bundle @ $250 with the mail-in rebate. Use that to buy your hardcore game. ;) Hurry, since you must purchase it before October 5 to qualify.

Tommy McClain

Buy the bundle and sell the game. I'm pretty sure you won't have any problems selling MW2. :)

Regards,
SB

Back