XBox 360 launched in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please tell me Dantruon what games XBOX1 had in it's first year that were comparable to:
1. Ninety Nine Nights
2. Blue Dragon
3. Enchant Arm
4. Chromehounds
5. Lost Odyssey

All they had last time was NG and DOA, which they have this time as well. The difference is now they have some very prmosising JRPG's, and exclusives from big players like Capcom, From Software and Namco, even Konami is getting in on the action a little bit.

Bad_Boy said:
I gotta say, if MS can sell more than 500k 360's in Japan on launch day id be pretty impressed considering the X-box1 is just recently coming close to 500,000 after 3+ years.

You mean 2million? It's nearing 2million after 3 years.

I expect the numbers to be low, 150-200k.

If I'm a japanese gamer I'm not talking a chance on an unproven console with no games. Last time the people who bouight xbox's got screwed cause dev's stopped supporting it, so understandably people are skeptical.

I expect them to hold off until some really good games come out.

scooby_dooby said:
Please tell me Dantruon what games XBOX1 had in it's first year that were comparable to:
1. Ninety Nine Nights
2. Blue Dragon
3. Enchant Arm
4. Chromehounds
5. Lost Odyssey

All they had last time was NG and DOA, which they have this time as well. The difference is now they have some very prmosising JRPG's, and exclusives from big players like Capcom, From Software and Namco, even Konami is getting in on the action a little bit.
why dont you put Halo and Halo 2 in it mate?, you know the game that every xbox owner should own.

Hey xbox do have FFxi.

But the one you list may be a flop, how do you know is gonna be a success? have you played the game you list, how do you know is gonna sell the 360?

scooby_dooby said:
You mean 2million? It's nearing 2million after 3 years.

I think 2million represents Japan + All of Asia. The 500k number comes from Japan alone.
Please correct me if im wrong on this.

dantruon said:
why dont you put Halo and Halo 2 in it mate?, you know the game that every xbox owner should own.

But the one you list may be a flop, how do you know is gonna be a success? have you played the game you list, how do you know is gonna sell the 360?

Why don't you answer the question? Don't think I didn't notice that dodge!

Halo gets left off, as does NG and DOA, as they were all there last time around. What I'm showing you is the calibre of NEW stuff coming out in year 1, and I'm asking you to show me what games did the XBOX1 have in year 1 that could compare?

The fact is CBOX1 had nothing, read: nothing, good after launch with the exception of Halo, NG and DOA. It's like night and day compared to now...well maybe dusk to dawn ;)

It;s not like they're already guaranteed hits, but there's a reason every game magazine and gaming site around the world is excited about these titles, these are not B Grade low-budget titles, these are big budget exclusives, from respected developers, that demand alot of optimism.

dantruon said:

Hey xbox do have FFxi.

No one knows for sure. They are just games being released on a new console. Which is partly the novelty of those games.

FFXI will mean nothing if MS doesn't get further support from S-E. I would hazard a guess that S-E would produce a title akin to FFXI, maybe a new IP, just for the XBOX. Mainly, an MMORPG. It seems well suited for those games.

scooby_dooby said:
Why don't you answer the question? Don't think I didn't notice that dodge!

Halo gets left off, as does NG and DOA, as they were all there last time around. What I'm showing you is the calibre of NEW stuff coming out in year 1, and I'm asking you to show me what games did the XBOX1 have in year 1 that could compare?

The fact is CBOX1 had nothing, read: nothing, good after launch with the exception of Halo, NG and DOA. It's like night and day compared to now...well maybe dusk to dawn ;)

It;s not like they're already guaranteed hits, but there's a reason every game magazine and gaming site around the world is excited about these titles, these are not B Grade low-budget titles, these are big budget exclusives, from respected developers, that demand alot of optimism.

what is Cbox1? well i just trying to say that dont live in denial about the success of 360 in Japan anytime soon, all the games you mention there will most likely probably release next year in Japan but you must factor in the reality that the Playstation 3 will be release in Japan next year, and the game you listed will not able to compete with the PS3 launch game.

scooby_dooby said:
1. Ninety Nine Nights
2. Blue Dragon
3. Enchant Arm
4. Chromehounds
5. Lost Odyssey

Thing is, 2 of those games aren't expected to be big in any sense of the word (Chromehounds, Enchart Arm). They're comparable to the likes of Genma Onimusha and JSRF on Xbox. A game like Dynasty Warriors comnpares to NNN (an unproven franchise) and then some, The other two titles are enigmas at this point in time (you should note that all the companies you mentioned supported the original Xbox).

Also the Xbox now has an incredibly bad image in Japan and the PS3 is right around the corner with much, much stronger Japanese support. Couldn't really get much worse for them.

dubyateeeff said:
Because the market is so big that a company can live of those remaning 30%, if they dont then likely it is because their business modell is flawed, not because Sony has a 70% share. 30% is somewhere in the neighbourhood of 45 million console units. That is a lot!

Even 15% is 20 million units.

EDIT: (dont mind the math behind it)

ITs not a matter of how much a company could 'survive on' in this generation, its about having healthy compeition in this space for years to come. Just becuase MS or Nintendo could survive on 30, even 15% doesnt mean that is the optimal conditions for us as consumers.

Healthy compeitition in the market benefits consumers, period. One company having 70% or the market, and the other 2 having 15% each, to me, is not what i would call 'healthy competition.' If you have a point why either of these statements is inaccurate then id be glad to discuss.

It's still a JRPG from a respected developer, From Software is a pretty big name in gaming right now. 3 JRPG's coming out in the first year when xbox1 had ~0.

Not to fan the flames but here's the latest status of the launch, brought to you by kotaku.com. The retailers seem desperate to sell these things.

150 USD for a premium xbox, mind you with an internet contract, which you'd have to pay for anyways to take advantage of Live.

Nicked said:
Also the Xbox now has an incredibly bad image in Japan and the PS3 is right around the corner with much, much stronger Japanese support. Couldn't really get much worse for them.

I dont think anyone is claiming that MS is in a position of strength in JP. Only that theyve done everything theyve needed to do this generation to help improve their position.

If you were to make a checklist a year ago of what needed to happen with the 360 for MS to improve their market share in Japan, i'd say they hit 90% of those points. Will it matter? Maybe, maybe not, but theyve certainly put themselves in a much better position to POSSIBLY BE successful.

Honestly i dont think MS has any false hopes that theyll beat or even match Sony in Japan. I think they would sign for a 15-20% market share improvement right now going into the next-next gen. To me, thats an attainable number.

scooby_dooby said:
It's still a JRPG from a respected developer, From Software is a pretty big name in gaming right now. 3 JRPG's coming out in the first year when xbox1 had ~0.
Yeah, except none of From's games have been critical or commericial success apart from Gundam. And they have an RPG in development for PS3 (as well as an exclusive action title to go with the multi-platform Gundam).

Its not like I'm saying MS hasn't patched a few holes in the sinking ship, they've just taken alot more damage. You gotta be realistic about its chances:
1) Bad launch
2) Mediocre support outside of MS compared to competition.
3) Technologically superior (at least as far as perception goes) current market leader's launch right around the corner.

drpepper said:
Not to fan the flames but here's the latest status of the launch, brought to you by kotaku.com. The retailers seem desperate to sell these things.

150 USD for a premium xbox, mind you with an internet contract, which you'd have to pay for anyways to take advantage of Live.

Ahh, I'm glad someone mentioned this complete FUD.

Futureshop was offering $200 in-store credit on all x360's with a 2year contract for ADSL.
"News alert!!!! Canadian retailer so deperate they are selling 360's at $150 USD!!"

What a load of crap. This happens everywhere, the store isn't slashing prices, the internet company is paying the difference to help lock customers into long-term contracts. Happens in Canada, US, Japan....man some people are pathetic. Talk about journalistic 'spin' I'd take a hard look at Kotaku if that's the type of sensationalism they are "reporting"

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicked said:
Yeah, except none of From's games have been critical or commericial success apart from Gundam. And they have an RPG in development for PS3 (as well as an exclusive action title to go with the multi-platform Gundam).

Its not like I'm saying MS hasn't patched a few holes in the sinking ship, they've just taken alot more damage. You gotta be realistic about its chances:
1) Bad launch
2) Mediocre support outside of MS compared to competition.
3) Technologically superior (at least as far as perception goes) current market leader's launch right around the corner.

Hey you wouldn't catch me betting any money on the 360's success in japan.

All I'm saying is the doomand gloom crap is lame. We all should've sen this coming months ago when all the best launch titles got pushed back.

Lets at least wait until the efforts MS has made to gain marketshare have arrived on storeshelves before we start writing it off.

scooby_dooby said:
Lets at least wait until the efforts MS has made to gain marketshare have arrived on storeshelves before we start writing it off.
Yeah, I've always maintained that the Mistwalker titles could come out and be a real clusterfuck for the PS3, if they market them right.
I'm extremely optimistic on their chances of being great games (BD looks amazing in that style, and Chrono Trigger is one of my favourite games ever), but I tend to think reception will be lukewarm at best considering Japanese gamers tend to stick with known franchises. But you never know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back