XBox 360 launched in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
nelg said:
Would anyone like to comment on how patriotism is/will effect sales?
IMHO it most likely has a sizable effect.

You have to realize that in Japan the Xbox is like Ngage or Gizmondo. It's a fringe console people aren't buying it but it has little to do with patriotism and more to do with the popularity of the Playstation brand.

Sis said:
I did a Google news search a little bit ago and while I got dozens of headlines talking about subdued response in Japan, they were all single-sourced. Am I missing some news reports, or is it all the same store owner talking about only selling 50?

.Sis

That's how these news stories always are, one original source, three websites quoting that source, fifty websites quoting those three, thousands of forum posters quoting those fifty. Same thing happened with PSM's 'PS2-like' Internet service thing.

Anyway yeah I'm just waiting for real numbers or new info. Because right now we're stuck at noon on Saturday December 10th as far as stats. Not that I doubt 360 didn't do well of course, just that I could imagine people buying one here and there steadily throughout the weekend, not just in the first hours of the launch.

Phil said:
Hey, that's not my argument - I was just passing on what others were saying that believed in its success prior to the Xbox360 launching overthere. I named you the reasons that were brought up [against arguments of my own] - namely the launch lineup and promising software on the horizon. I never claimed nor believed that a successful launch would be attributed alone to those factors however...

having said that, I'm really not arguing against you (I actually agree with you) - I don't think the games that haven't come out yet will make a big impact either because 1.) MS still has a looooong way to go to capture the interest of the casuals over there through better and more support catering towards those gamers interests (i.e. jRPGs), 2.) if those games would be in the among the highest anticipated ones, more people would have rushed out to get one, regardless.

Anyway, the launch indicated by these reports really isn't surprising me in the slightest. I think you may want to direct those arguments to those that have argued in the Xbox's favour prior to it launching there.

Gotcha, i was more responding to your statement:

Phil said:
On a more serious note, Microsoft's unfortunate software delays is one thing, on the other hand, it's not really as if the Japanese have no idea about the software that going to come its way. I'm sure sales will pick up from here, but don't expect any miracles either.

I think there are valid reasons why people wouldnt buy one just becuase they know what games are 'coming'. I htink plenty of people in all regions hold off until the console has something theyll actually play on it. I think most people think "When theres a reason to own it, i will, why should MS hold my money in the meantime?"

Its like buying a $400 snowblower in the middle of summer when theyre the same price in fall. Yeah you could buy one, but why bother?

xbdestroya said:
That's how these news stories always are, one original source, three websites quoting that source, fifty websites quoting those three, thousands of forum posters quoting those fifty. Same thing happened with PSM's 'PS2-like' Internet service thing.

Anyway yeah I'm just waiting for real numbers or new info. Because right now we're stuck at noon on Saturday December 10th as far as stats. Not that I doubt 360 didn't do well of course, just that I could imagine people buying one here and there steadily throughout the weekend, not just in the first hours of the launch.
Yeah, that's definitely the vibe I'm getting too.

Let me turn this around and blame Peter Moore. He says things like, "A console is not a sprint, it's a marathon" but then goes on to have these semi-outrageous launch activities. If I were in charge, I would have had a very quiet Japanese launch, trickling stock in store by store. This would seem to be more in line with the marathon approach to the console's life cycle than the "let's hype the hell out of a launch."

Anyway, I'm probably just ranting now...

.Sis

Phil said:
How ironic that they don't seem to be sharing your excitement. While the reasons seem to be quite obvious to me and the ones you're arguing with in this thread, it boggles my mind to see you continue arguing against all that is presented.

All that's been presented? What exactly 'has been presented' here?

MS with 3 missed launch titles, and not one good game besides RR6 at launch. Anyone with even limited reasoning skills could have foreseen thos coming, when Enchant Arm, N3 and DOA4 all slipped, you knew the japanese launch was gonna be weak.

What I find funny is how some people take this as proof of MS's 'failure' in japan, instead of seeing it for what it really is, 3 delayed games leading to a lack of good launch games to generate interest.

Also, I said 'the japanese launch line-up sucks', so they are sharing my excitement or lack thereof, for the launch line-up. I said that there's is reason to be excited in the future, and a quick look at line-ups at TGS, or the top20 list in Famitsu will tel you that much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sis said:
I agree and in fact I would suggest, in a non-accusatory way, that these photos are really just troll bait since, as I've offered already in this thread, lack of a line is proof of nothing other than lack of a line. And even that has a temporal nature.

Anyway, I agree with one's assessment--50,000 sounds about right. But again, it's the after launch that's important. If Xbox 360 sees a consistent sales growth, that would be a victory in and of itself.

.Sis

That's not promised. These are the round a bout figures for the Xbox launch in Japan.

Week 1: 107k
Week 2: 29k
Week 3: 12k
Week 4: 7k
Week 5: 5k

All in all, I would say the 360 launch line-up is actually worse than the XBOX1 line-up, it doesn't even have DOA.

The difference is the quality of titles coming out in the 1st year, extremely good titles coming down the line, whereas XBOX had a strong launch but nothing good to follow up on that.

I don't blame the consumers for being skeptical over there, I would be too. I would want to SEE the games before I buy the system, cause last time, support dried up big time.

I believe it's really simple, get 4 or 5 really good quality games out next year, cater to the japanese market, at least 3 or 4 RPG's, and they will do fine, launch day is largely irrelevant.

mckmas8808 said:
That's not promised. These are the round a bout figures for the Xbox launch in Japan.
That's my point exactly. I would consider the first Xbox launch a success and yet the console is a failure there. Note that I'm in no way implying that a bad launch is a good omen. But to me, those numbers you listed are far more important than the launch weekend/week/month numbers are.

.Sis

EDIT: By numbers, I mean "sales trend"

Scooby I agree with you and the launch analysis/focus on the games.

For Microsoft, I hope they launch these titles ASAP - either that or they are truly incredible - because come March/April I could see a lot of even positive 360 developments in Japan as being drowned out by the torrent that will be PS3 mania.

If the launch was important in Japan in a way it won't be in other countries, it is because 360 has it's main competitor launching so closely behind, and in a country where XBox already has a significant mindshare disadvantage.

Well they've probably got a solid 6 months, and it's not as if Sony is known for it's strong japanese launch titles.

I can concievably see Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey being 'the' games next year in japan.

Are there any respected developers planning big budget RPG's for PS3 in 06?

No but they'll probably try to marry newer PS2 games to the PS3
like Final Fantasy 12 and Vakyrie Profile by claiming enhanced graphics through BC.

Last edited by a moderator:
scooby_dooby said:
Well they've probably got a solid 6 months, and it's not as if Sony is known for it's strong japanese launch titles.

I can concievably see Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey being 'the' games next year in japan.

Scooby to be honest in six months MS will have to fight against the large number of great PS2 RPGs, PS3 launch, PSP, and the DS selling like crack.

My question to you is what do you consider success for the 360? Can you give me some kind of example of sales numbers or comparisons?

scooby_dooby said:

The question isn't when will the PS3 launch, but when will Sony feel comfortable focusing 100% on hyping it. 3-4 months prior to launch is probably about right...

.Sis

I'm just wondering what games they'll actually have to hype for 06. If there's not some quality RPG's, I don't see why Mistwalkers titles can't eclipse most of what's out on the PS3, Sakaguchi certainly has the respect of the japanese gamers.

"My question to you is what do you consider success for the 360? Can you give me some kind of example of sales numbers or comparisons?"

Oh I dunno, I'm no sales analyst. I'd say 1 or 2 million by the end of next year would be a big success. That would allow more developers to develop for the system, providing more japanese games, and maybe it would snowball a little after that.

Who knows. The whole developer support thing can really be a catch 22, no support without consumers, no consumers without support. So if they can reach a critical mass next year, then they will be alot better off moving forward.

Well if we're shifting a little to PS3 and Japan now, I honestly see a pre-Golden Week (May) launch. So let's say four months. As for the hype, well CES is in three weeks and Sony is supposed to have a massive presence there, so we'll see if that starts it off. Otherwise at latest their PS3-focused event in Feb will be the kick-off.

I agree though that Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon might give 360 some legs. Any indication on when they are supposed to launch?

The latest news i think is Blue Dragon fairly soon, like Q2, and Lost Odyssey by the end of 06.

The new Blue Dragon scans are looking very nice, not really my style but they look good, very DQ-ish.

scooby_dooby said:
Sakaguchi certainly has the respect of the japanese gamers.

Casuals, regardless of their origin, don't buy names, they buy into brand-names/franchises that are popular or have given them good experience (i.e. the PlayStation brand, Nintendo or Final Fantasy) or games that manage to grab their interest. Xbox hasn't got any of this at the moment - it's brandname isn't selling the console nor is the current software.

As I said, the delayed launch of the more important games for Xbox in Japan is very unfortunate matter - yet, I think anyone who's expecting the consoles sales to turn a 180 degrees once they do come out isn't looking at the big picture.

Also scoob, the games you do think will change everything in Japan: when are they coming out?

scooby_dooby said:

Not any that I know of at the moment, but it's not as if they'll need it [in Japan]. They'll get it anyway - which is pretty in line with what everyone is expecting, them being Sony, the dominant marketleader. They've rushed out to get a PS2 with lack of proper software for about a year and they'll rush out for a PS3 in given time, with or without that high profile support. A planned Final fantasy, MGS3 and big time japanese developer support alone will ensure the success on a grande scale.

Having said all that, I am puzzled by the delay of those titles - IMO it would have been better for Microsoft to concentrate on the western markets and then make sure you have a rock-solid launch in Japan. The current situation is far from it, then again, not sure you can really blame them, because who would still support them if they didn't have the 6 months advantage they're having?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back