XBox 360 launched in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
rabidrabbit said:
Well, the DS already was a fairly succesful before "Nintendogs"
If a 10 score game that appeals to the japanese comes for the xbox360, and there is nobody to play it, does it make an impact?

The answer is... Both.

The Quantum theory tells us that if we put an X360 in a box with 10 japanese gamers and then close the box, we won't know if they played it or not until we open the box. Until then the X360 is in a superposition of states. It could be played or it couldn't be, we just don't know until we open the box. It becomes Schrodinger's X360.

Ok... i went a little bit off topic there. :devilish:

But now that i think about it, it kinda works, in the end we can't know what really happens until we set in motion certain events. MS needs to launch those games, then we'll see. Until then we can't say those games and the X360 will fail. We can make predictions, but they wouldn't have a lot to hang on to until the events actually happen.

We can predict that X360, or any MS console, will never sell as much as a Nintendo console or a Sony one in Japan, and that prediction could be true, but it's just that: a prediction. Who knows what will happen in the future, really?

Phil said:
Surely we can expect a bit more of an argument here at Beyond3d, can't we? At least an argument of some sort that would actually be of valuable contribution to the forum, one to spark constructive debate.
If Scooby said 'XB360 will have a turnaround when games appear' then yes. We can ask about what games and so forth. But he only said 'it's a possibility' and as such there's no fair argument that's not just a matter of differing opinions. Arguing with that POV is all very well, but asking for specifics of what games and when as people have done is expecting more than a 'general possibility' warrants. You can't argue against the possibilty that some game(s) will suddenly garner interest unless you know all the games that are coming and how people will respond.

That is, if Scooby has to produce a game title(s) that will sell XB360, is it not also fair for those who disagree to point to the list of every game that'll reach Japanese XB360 and point out how none will be any good? The burden of proof has been placed on Scooby but he's not trying to prove anything. He's only saying 'it's too early to tell and maybe a game or three will appear that'll make things happen'. It takes a crystal ball to know that won't happen. Or a list of every game that'll be released and an understanding of the Japanese market so it can be deduced that won't happen. (Some will say the Japanese market is sufficiently understood that regardless of software, XB360 won't get anywhere! :p )

The odds are however heavily against xbox360, and that's a fact.
A prediction based on that fact is xbox360 will not succeed in Japan.
True, it's pointless to discuss about this until the xbox360 is discontinued in Japan, after which we'll wait until the successor of xbox360 is discontinued, after which.....
So this is a subject that never can be come to conclusion, and cannot be discussed as long as there is a Microsoft console in Japan.

Shifty Geezer said:
If Scooby said 'XB360 will have a turnaround when games appear' then yes. We can ask about what games and so forth. But he only said 'it's a possibility' and as such there's no fair argument that's not just a matter of differing opinions.

For some that's just stating his humble opinion, he seems to be very vocal and repetitive while doing so. I don't put much faith behind the exact semantics of his given posts either - his repetitive stance and what he's implying with them makes it quite evident to me at least that it's not just a humble opinion on the matter - if you've followed the last 28 pages, I'm sure you'll find that I wasn't the only one to pick that up and that this exact behaviour was already addressed and questioned.

I won't address the rest of your post since it really isn't one for me to answer. I wasn't arguing in favour of Randycat as much as I was arguing against Scooby's level of contribution (or better; lack there of) in this thread. I am all for opinions and speculations - as at the end of the day, that's all we have to contribute. It's the way we exchange those opinions and speculation that distinguish between what can be called contribution and adding quality/signal to the forums we all like visiting. Having said that, I think randycat's post (as Mr. Hanky's) is perfectly exceptable and they both have the right to call out someone's opinion and question its outcome in a cilivized manner.

Either scooby stands behind his belief and argues in favour for it by constructing a useful argument to justify his stance on the matter or he should simply drop it. Hiding behind the excuse "it's simply my opinion based on my belief" shouldn't give a free ticket to continuously state it, especially when nothing constructive can come from it.

Phil said:
Either scooby stands behind his belief and argues in favour for it by constructing a useful argument to justify his stance on the matter or he should simply drop it. Hiding behind the excuse "it's simply my opinion based on my belief" shouldn't give a free ticket to continuously state it, especially when nothing constructive can come from it.
I'd agree with that. Often on forums you get people repeating their point without adding anything more to it, which in this place also goes against the offical FAQ. State your opinion, and leave it at that, as it were. Unless you want to discuss it in which case you need more meat to your argument.

Phil said:
From what I have observed over the last few months, the notion of a big "turn around" was very popular. Now that the hype and died down and the results are in, all those that were holding to this idea of a big turn-around are much more down to earth and are quick to forget what they themselves were arguing months/weeks ago.
Many were arguing, myself included, that you can't tell how the Xbox 360 will do based on a launch weekend. As the weeks have gone by and the Xbox 360's sales curve mimics the Xbox's, then I think we have a decent amount of information to say, "We don't need to wait and see anymore." Given how early it still is, the certainty of that prediction is much lower than it will be a year from now, since until MS pulls the plug in Japan, there's always a chance of a turnaround. All it takes is one game...

But let me ask you this: do you think those who said the Xbox 360 was "dead on arrival" in Japan said so based on some data they had to back up, other than one weekend worth of sales and a handful of pictures to show lack of lines?

Heh, heh, Shifty playing devil's advocate- I geddit now! ;) :p

Phil is absolutely right on the mark!

As for my own requests, I wasn't necessarily asking for all games- just a handful of big attraction up'n'comers. Then a release date for each of those games, so we have some sort of context as to the "when" of this projected event. I don't think this is too much to ask.

rabidrabbit said:
Sure, there are a couple of games that will help sell it to some more, but how much did DOA do to Japan xbox360 sales? Not much.

Why would you expect DOA to have a signifigant impact when it had none last time? The brand is already stereotyped as the 'team ninja box' because that's the only good games it's considered to have.

I think using DOA4 as an example that no games could possibly increase the 360 sales is pretty weak. There really is very little to support your position because the only really quality game released is DOA4, and even that is sub-par graphically.

Phil said:
My stance is crystal clear. It's too early to call anything, there's still every chance in the world of a turnaround since no quality games have been released for the system.

You sit there and say things like 'now that we have the numbers and all the hype has dided down'...what numbers? What new games have come out in the last 2 months? My position now is exactly the same as it was 2 months ago because the game lineup has not improved one iota.

I'm not arguing the belief that 360 will sell well in japan, first we would need to define 'well', but regardless I would bet against it if I had to place money. What I'm arguing against, are the proclamations of failure and the premature/childish victory celebrations. Keep it in your pants boys, it's still to early to tell...

p.s. Shifty, thx for the back man, hard arguing 6 people

Last edited by a moderator:
Who here has "proclaimed a failure" and partaken in "victory celebrations"? Who are you railing against???

You gave an opinion (less well supported, as we had anticipated), and then some other people gave counterpoint. That's a fundamental activity on a discussion forum. :oops: If you are demanding the ordained right to never be questioned/challenged, I think perhaps you have a blog in mind, rather than expressing your thoughts on a discussion forum.

scooby_dooby said:
You sit there and say things like 'now that we have the numbers and all the hype has dided down'...what numbers? What new games have come out in the last 2 months? My position now is exactly the same as it was 2 months ago because the game lineup has not improved one iota.

Isn't that one of the problems facing the X360? It won't get any better if people can't play games on it. In the meantime, little old PS2 will be getting KH2 and FF12 shortly, selling millions upon millions of both software and units (not sure why it would sell units, since everyone seems to have a bloody PS2 these days, but u just know that hardware sales will also go up when those 2 games are released)...

I'm not arguing the belief that 360 will sell well in japan, first we would need to define 'well', but regardless I would bet against it if I had to place money. What I'm arguing against, are the proclamations of failure and the premature/childish victory celebrations. Keep it in your pants boys, it's still to early to tell...

I agree. But Phil wasn't doing anything of the sort. The kids must be left ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back