XBox 360 launched in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
expletive said:
We dont really know exactly what the benefit would be for us, it would be different at different times, but equal competition benefits customers, thats undeniable. Maybe its price, maybe its the fact that if Sony had their way they would milk the PS2 for 10 years, maybe its them not trying as hard on the software(seeing as we have no consle options), i dont really know. But competition=good is economics 101.

Well, the PS2 will be milked for ten years - don't think otherwise! ;)

As was PSOne before it and PSThree in the future.

In fact viewed in isolation (so as not to involve myself in the monopoly debate at large), I think the contiued support of older platforms is a net positive rather than a net negative.

xbdestroya said:
I don't think this can be considered the 'real' 360 launch in Japan, considering the main body of Japanese AAA titles has yet to show - but at the same time it kind of casts a darker cloud on the whole thing as well.

If I were top brass at Microsoft, once it was known that key Japanese launch titles were going to be delayed, I would have redirected half or more of the Japanese 360 launch allotment and had it sent to N. America and/or Europe instead. It was holding the line on the number of units sent to Japan after they already knew the wind had gone out of it title-wise that is the true folly here on Microsoft's part.

Not only would additional supply have hit '360-starved' areas, but then they could have been closer to claiming a 'sold out' condition in Japan as well.

As it stands now 360's at risk of being stigmatized in Japan, a very trend/coolness/fashion obsessed nation.
I agree, though if the 159,000 units shipped number is real, someone should be fired for ineptitude in gauging the market interest. I don't think MS should give up on Japan, since unlike the first gen I believe they'll see growth with this time, but right now it seems to be a bit foolhardy in their delivery.

.Sis

xbdestroya said:
Well, the PS2 will be milked for ten years - don't think otherwise! ;)

As was PSOne before it and PSThree in the future.

In fact viewed in isolation (so as not to involve myself in the monopoly debate at large), I think the contiued support of older platforms is a net positive rather than a net negative.

Sorry i wasnt more clear, what i meant was that we wouldnt see anything NEW for 10 years. Imagine if the the PSX was the most advanced console up until this year? :(

I'm just disappointed in MS in general and feel sorry for the real big 360 fans that couldn't get one after hours of camping on launch day. People can defend this launch all they want, but the fact is MS should have delayed it until the launch game lineup was better. We have tons of people scrambling to find one for their kids for X-Mas in 2 countries that actually care about the friggin console. Give us the dam things!

If I was a huge XBox supporter, I would feel like a second class citizen right now. Then throw in that in JP they are only paying 320 dollars for the HDD version. I was on the fence, I'm now off it.

expletive said:
Sorry i wasnt more clear, what i meant was that we wouldnt see anything NEW for 10 years. Imagine if the the PSX was the most advanced console up until this year? :(

And give the competiton a free run to deliver something more cutting-edge? On the other hand, forcing early cycles isn't good either, especially when the hardware (which is getting more complicated with every cycle) is less utilized by the time it's replaced.

IMHO 6 to 7 years is a good timeframe for a cycle.

Not good news, though it is too early to predict anything.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051213/tc_nm/japan_xbox_dc

TOKYO (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq:MSFT - news) sold less than half of the estimated 159,000 Xbox 360 consoles that were available in stores in Japan in its first weekend of sales, a survey showed on Tuesday.
Only about 62,000 units were purchased on December 10 and 11, according to an independent study by Enterbrain, which publishes leading Japanese game magazine "Famitsu."

That was also less than half the 123,000 units Microsoft sold of its previous generation Xbox in the first three days of sales in February 2002.

"There is just one reason for the slow sales -- the postponement of the launch of the 'Dead or Alive 4' game," Munetatsu Matsui, editor-in-chief of "Famitsu Xbox 360," said in a news release, adding that about 61.5 percent of his readers had planned to buy the highly anticipated game.

Microsoft originally planned to release the 3-D fighting game at the same time as the Japan launch, but has now postponed it until December 29.

Enterbrain reported that some stores had customers who canceled pre-reserved Xbox 360s, while others asked to reserve a console for purchase when "Dead or Alive 4" comes out.
"Xbox may have started out slowly but sales will likely gain momentum in January when new titles like 'Perfect Dark Zero' :?: come out," said Matsui. "There is still plenty of opportunity for Xbox 360 to increase market share in Japan."

"Xbox may have started out slowly but sales will likely gain momentum in January when new titles like 'Perfect Dark Zero' come out," said Matsui. "There is still plenty of opportunity for Xbox 360 to increase market share in Japan."

Maybe what Famitsu 360 needs is a new editor-in-chief. ;)

On the side I would be interested to know what their subscription base is.

Sorry Moderator for my other posts.

Anyway, I would not put too much hope in DOA4 contributing too much to the success of the 360 in Japan, because even if that drives another 40,000 in sales (my prediction), they will only be selling into the current Xbox 1 installed base.

No doubt that if Microsoft wants to succeed in Japan, they have to show the Japanese public their will be long term support of the console, and I think the only way they can do that, if they open up their own Xbox 360 retail outlets throughout the country, and get about 10 times more developer support by basically paying for a lot more support.

Stores in Japan now have next to no Xbox support, and this I'm sure weighs heavily on people's minds there, when it comes to supporting a sequel to the massively failed Xbox 1 console.

xbdestroya said:
I don't think this can be considered the 'real' 360 launch in Japan, considering the main body of Japanese AAA titles has yet to show - but at the same time it kind of casts a darker cloud on the whole thing as well.

If I were top brass at Microsoft, once it was known that key Japanese launch titles were going to be delayed, I would have redirected half or more of the Japanese 360 launch allotment and had it sent to N. America and/or Europe instead. It was holding the line on the number of units sent to Japan after they already knew the wind had gone out of it title-wise that is the true folly here on Microsoft's part.

Not only would additional supply have hit '360-starved' areas, but then they could have been closer to claiming a 'sold out' condition in Japan as well.

As it stands now 360's at risk of being stigmatized in Japan, a very trend/coolness/fashion obsessed nation.

I agree. I don't know why MS didn't see this coming, the regions with no availabilitiy shoudl get the majority of that stock, let japan wait until DOA. Kill 2 birds with one stone, fill more demand overseas and sell-out japan.

Instead they sent 150k, which as far as I can tell is HALF of the US shipment? And TWICE the UK shipment? Dumb.

Why not just ship 50k to japan, and claim shortages? Send the other 100k to US, Canada and Europe, sell them out instantly...

Last edited by a moderator:
Surely MS's Japanese strategy didn't just consist of trying to convince the Japanese people the x360 was a great system. </sarcasm> You can't expect to sell a system on design and marketing alone. You need games you morons at MS. Seems to me MS has gotten cheap on purchasing devs since rare. So far it hasn't been a good launch for the 360. Availability this Xmas will really hurt them in the long run considering they could have gotten a huge lead in North America and Europe.

scooby_dooby said:
Why not just ship 50k to japan, and claim shortages? Send the other 100k to US, Canada and Europe, sell them out instantly...
Because claiming shortages in Japan with only 50k units would be even more worthless than claiming shortages in the US with only 320k or whateverit was. A shortage isn't impressive unless you have an impressive stock to run short on.

one said:
RR6 - 29,891
PDZ - 14,897
NFS:MW - 6,842

The tie ratio (all software sales / hardware units) is 0.91 :!: Too many net auction sellers / European exporters there? Besides, I can't imagine how much Every Party sold.

This tie ratio is just abnormal for a brand-new console in the history and the Famitsu commentator in the article says it's due to those who wait for DOA4 in a positive manner, but I doubt it will change anything.

I think this stat does show people could very well be waiting for the games. Why must we assume the worst in everything?

Will a japanese 360 work in EU? I thought they use PAL vs NTSC?

Why auction a unit thats clearly readily available?

Last edited by a moderator:
Phil said:
And give the competiton a free run to deliver something more cutting-edge? On the other hand, forcing early cycles isn't good either, especially when the hardware (which is getting more complicated with every cycle) is less utilized by the time it's replaced.

IMHO 6 to 7 years is a good timeframe for a cycle.

Again, these are simply examples of how a lack of competition could hurt the consumer. If anyone wants to make the argument that it doesnt, i'm all ears.

Obivously you could come up with specific scnearios where any of my examples would not apply, but thats missing the point.

I will be much more interested in the X360s sold by March. In Jan and Feb, specifically Feb, some of the most anticipated games will be coming out for the X360. I know I am waiting till Feb to buy my X360, simply because it is too hard to get ahold of now and the only game I really want is PGR3. I know other people that are in the same boat I am. I think we should hold off the statements about X360 not being succesful. We can say their launch was extremely successful. Though I do believe overall it was successful however I think we will see its true success in March when the games people have been waiting for are released.

I meant that we CAN'T say their launch was extremely successful. DOH. sorry, just wanted to clear that up. I still believe it was successful but not the success I think MS was hoping for.

Japanese Retailers Selling Xbox 360’s for $150 USD

Xboxtoday - Now only four days after the launch, retailers in Japan are slashing Xbox 360 prices in half just to get them off the shelves. The originally 38,800YEN (about $350 USD) consoles have been lowered to 18,800YEN (about $150 USD). Compare that to the incredible price gouging on place like eBay.

It would appear that once again, Microsoft was unable to conquer the tough Japanese market. Perhaps is still a bit premature to make such a statement; as more titles become available, most notably DOA4, the Xbox 360 may be able to regain some lost ground. But can it be done before the luanch of the PS3 and the Revolution?
-aldo

Eleazar are you in Japan? Just wondering so that I can keep track of all the Japanese residents on this board for when One's not around for me to bug for a translation. :)

@Aldo: Those price-cuts are in association with ISP sign-up deals, you know the same kind of thing where you can often get a significant discount on a new computer in the US if you sign a 1-year conteact for MSN or AOL or something. Granted it's not a *good* sign for MS, but at the same time it's not as bad as a straight price cut.

aldo said:
Japanese Retailers Selling Xbox 360’s for $150 USD

-aldo

Why do people keep regurgitating the same bullshit garbage from kotaku.

SAMSUNG IN DIRE STRAIGHTS FORCED TO GIVE CELL PHONES AWAY!!!!

Link

OMG CELL PHONES ARE DOOMED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back