Xbox 360 gaining USB storage support in 2010 update

I don't think the trasnfer rate is fast enough for games. Mabye dlc like rockband songs or something.

Well it says you can store game demos on the USB devices. Game demos are just small portions of a full game. If it's fast enough for demos then it should be fast enough for full games.

Your Live account can be stored on an memory card or hard drive (and obviously a USB storage device in the future) so you can bring it along.

You cant just input your username and password on Live and login on a different system? Why would you need to "bring" your Live account? What's to "bring"? (well, at least before maybe Avatars?)

Anyways saw this on Joystiq. X360 branded USB drives. Which I didn't even know they had planned till I saw Joystiq. 39.99 for 8GB and 69.99 for 16GB.

It sounds like a lot, but if you compare it to previous memory card pricing, a huge improvement. Basically you're going from a 512 MB memory card to an 8GB functionally for the same price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, well, can you login without your save data?

I just always though Live/PSN was like any other online service, you logged in with your name and password no matter where you were...

You cant just input your username and password on Live and login on a different system? Why would you need to "bring" your Live account? What's to "bring"? (well, at least before maybe Avatars?)

What's to bring is your GamerTag, GamerCard, user-rating, Achievements, Avatar(& it's items) & basically your authorization to use said info on your account. All this info is downloaded to your memory unit once you recover your profile. In order to recover your account all you need is your email address & password from your MS LiveID account. So you don't need a lot of info if you use the recover profile option, but it does require you to sync with Xbox Live to download all your data from the cloud. A lot of people complain that it takes too long & it did at one time. However, they've streamlined it more & now it takes me about 1 minute for me to download mine. Others have complained of up to 5 minutes. BTW, if you have your GamerTag on other units they get un-authorized once you recover it to another memory card or hard drive. In order to use your profile on those deactivated units, you would have to go through the recover process again. That's why it's great to just keep your profile on a portable memory card, since you would never need to recover your profile again if you always had it with you.

Anyways saw this on Joystiq. X360 branded USB drives. Which I didn't even know they had planned till I saw Joystiq. 39.99 for 8GB and 69.99 for 16GB.

It sounds like a lot, but if you compare it to previous memory card pricing, a huge improvement. Basically you're going from a 512 MB memory card to an 8GB functionally for the same price.

I posted it back on page 2 with the original Major Nelson reveal. I later posted the pic here...

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1413826&postcount=39

I saw those GameSpot prices over at GAF, but didn't think it was totally newsworthy considering the source. I agree that the prices are about right based on previous history. You're going to pay a little bit of a premium for Xbox branding & pre-configuration. Plus, there's no telling: they may load it with free games or other content. Would I buy one? Probably not, because I'm a cheap bastard. I was pretty upset having to pay $15 for a used 256MB memory card for my son. LOL

Tommy McClain

I don't know why people are so down on the size limit. Granted, it's a size limit none the less, but the 360 is more than capable of streaming media, and if you can have a total of 50+ GB for a base unit like mine (I still have an original 20GB going strong) then I don't see the problem really. Most games aren't that large, and installation isn't particularly necessary. This seems like a great step, IMO. I'm excited for it.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1413826&postcount=39

I saw those GameSpot prices over at GAF, but didn't think it was totally newsworthy considering the source. I agree that the prices are about right based on previous history. You're going to pay a little bit of a premium for Xbox branding & pre-configuration. Plus, there's no telling: they may load it with free games or other content. Would I buy one? Probably not, because I'm a cheap bastard. I was pretty upset having to pay $15 for a used 256MB memory card for my son. LOL

Tommy McClain

I dunno , it may be aot better than b efore. We don't know which flash drives will actually pass their performance test. There are some cheap $15 8 gig flash drives i've bought that would never transfer at 15MB/s or higher

Let's see buy two 16GB SD cards for $80 or buy a 500GB HDD for $80...LMFAO...genius!

But I don't want to put a 500GB external USB HDD in my pocket, along with a power cord, et al.

In fact, I like the idea of a solid state storage setup so much that I might even disconnect the HDD and see if I can live with the USB only storage...

But I don't want to put a 500GB external USB HDD in my pocket, along with a power cord, et al.

In fact, I like the idea of a solid state storage setup so much that I might even disconnect the HDD and see if I can live with the USB only storage...

Stop cherry picking statements out of context to make a stupid irrelevent point....;)

Why the hell would I carry a HDD in my pocket anyway?

Why would I carry my Xbox and controller in my pocket?

GENIUS!!!!...:LOL:

Why the hell would I carry a HDD in my pocket anyway?

To have 360 hdd parties. Everyone comes over to someones house and brings their 360 hdd with them, then everyone plays everyone else's games. Come now, you can't tell me you haven't done that before? It's an awesome way to discover lots of new games and have a good time with buddies in the process. Should be much easier to do now that everyone will just have to bring a usb memory stick along with them instead of the hdd.

To have 360 hdd parties. Everyone comes over to someones house and brings their 360 hdd with them, then everyone plays everyone else's games. Come now, you can't tell me you haven't done that before? It's an awesome way to discover lots of new games and have a good time with buddies in the process. Should be much easier to do now that everyone will just have to bring a usb memory stick along with them instead of the hdd.

exactly. t'was the whole point of the removable HDD in the first place...we have taken several HDDs with us on many occasions to friends houses,

it's like having your Xbox with you wherever there is a machine

What I wonder:

instead of bringing this new feature and investing money to design and develop it...why just don't MS make the existing Xbox360 HDD drives cheaper and solve the old "no HDD" problem in an instant!?

How does that work?:???:

You'd have to have the disc inside the DVD drive to play any installed games on the HDD? In other words you'd have to carry along the DVDs too...why not just bring the DVDs and leave the HDD at home?:???:

What I wonder:

instead of bringing this new feature and investing money to design and develop it...why just don't MS make the existing Xbox360 HDD drives cheaper and solve the old "no HDD" problem in an instant!?

Now the 250 gig hdd is priced at around $100 which is cheap compared to the $120 price point for the 120 gig hdd.

edit made a mistake with the price heres a official quote
Available in stores today, Xbox 360 introduces the 250GB Hard Drive, which offers more space to store your favorite game and entertainment content. Available at the incredible value of $129.99, the 250GB Hard Drive offers more freedom to download the latest demos, Xbox LIVE Arcade games, full game titles with Games on Demand, TV shows, movies and more straight to your Xbox 360 console.

Strange you get like 2 times more hdd space with only a $30 increase of price.

How does that work?:???:

You'd have to have the disc inside the DVD drive to play any installed games on the HDD? In other words you'd have to carry along the DVDs too...why not just bring the DVDs and leave the HDD at home?:???:

And install for 5 min waste of time there's a hdd party going on :LOL:

And install for 5 min waste of time there's a hdd party going on :LOL:

You don't need to install the game onto the HDD. The point is you'd have to bring along the DVDs in your pocket along with the HDD...:LOL:

In other words the whole point about carrying around a couple USB flash devices vs a HDD is utterly stupid. It's nebulous and niether here or there...lol.

Now the 250 gig hdd is priced at around $100 which is cheap compared to the $120 price point for the 120 gig hdd.

100 $ seems to be fair and cheap...so where is the problem?!?!?
why even borther for USB (as you can obviously bring the HDD to every party you want :D)

Is the transfer rate fast enough to allow developers to benefit from it in games?

Kinda like how DOOM 3 and other games for the Xbox 1 did?

You don't need to install the game onto the HDD. The point is you'd have to bring along the DVDs in your pocket along with the HDD...:LOL:

In other words the whole point about carrying around a couple USB flash devices vs a HDD is utterly stupid. It's nebulous and niether here or there...lol.

XBLA and XNA/Indie games for one, just requires a network connection... but then my circle of friends are unique in that all my console playing friends also like to create content for fun -- and many XBLA games are really well suited for group play.

Also, DVD's in my old CD carrying sleeves for when the Discman was king -- it's not as onerous as carrying a precision mechanical device around that can be dropped and destroyed more easily.

@Svensk Viking: Although transfer rates to USB memory devices aren't as fast as HDD with the SATA interface, you eliminate seek times. Write will be slower, but read is speedy.

Back