How can an American console company succeed in Japan *spinoff

In any event, the Chinese market will be more important in the long term. Microsoft will have an easier time there as Chinese taste is less eclectic and anti-Japanese sentiments run strong.

Aren't foreign consoles forbidden to be sold in China? And the only way to get it there is through the black market?

I seem to remember someone saying that on these forums, but I'm not sure. It would also make sense since "Other Asian" sales numbers (Basically all Asian countries other than Japan) are generally less than 3% for any given publisher. Then again, pirating and counterfeit game sales is also far more common in Asian countries other than Japan.

Regards,
SB

Aren't foreign consoles forbidden to be sold in China? And the only way to get it there is through the black market?

Yeah, there's a ban in place, but I think Microsoft can get it lifted relatively easily. It's just a matter of finding the right deal and finding the right local partner. This is China after all. I've heard somewhere that the company is in negotiation with the government now.

I seem to remember someone saying that on these forums, but I'm not sure. It would also make sense since "Other Asian" sales numbers (Basically all Asian countries other than Japan) are generally less than 3% for any given publisher. Then again, pirating and counterfeit game sales is also far more common in Asian countries other than Japan.

Piracy, of course, is really the reason why there hasn't been a Chinese launch yet. As the 360 hardware is getting close to being profitable on it own though, it should become less of a dissuasion. And Microsoft had a few years of experience dealing with piracy in countries like Poland. At any rate, not selling your product is a futile method of fighting the phenomenon.

China won't be a profitable market initially, but it's important for Microsoft to grab market share now. The potential for growth is huge. In contrast, Japan is a shrinking market. The country is in a demographic death spiral. There will be fewer gamers there each year. If we consider someone twenty year's old as the prototypical hardcore gamer, in 2015, the year when the next generation consoles might launch, there will 20% fewer of them compared with 2005. Compared with 1995, when the PS1 was released, the drop is nearly half.

Kind of the same with online-play, but most 360-people dosn't seem to mind paying them for that, they'll probably be abit more scpetic when they have to choose amongst three equally good services from all console-makers.

Of course, but that would actually have to happen.

I think it will happen next generation. :-/
When MS earns 5 billion dollars yearly by selling a chat-room and matchmaking, and other stuff something everyone else provides for free - their competitors can't afford to not start charging for it aswel as blocking the free alternatives if they want to compete.
We gamers will end up as the big loosers.

As for the next Netscape-like victim, I'm thinking Valve is next.
They will loose their hardearned marketshare for Steam when MS bundles Windows Live marketplace with Windows 8, and maybe puts lot's of obstacles for Steam to load without a dozen warning about unsigned software, and that crap to click through.. :-/
And when Microsoft sets the prices at PC Gaming, games will take alot longer to drop in price, everything will suddenly become more expensive.
And then they'll ban unsigned voice-chat, and similar unless you are a gold-platinium Windows Live subscriber, and we gamers loose again. :-/

And then people will probably say, but it's so great, it's only like 100$ and you can find better deal elsewhere, and the seems to be the popular exuses theyu use whne

As for the next Netscape-like victim, I'm thinking Valve is next.
They will loose their hardearned marketshare for Steam when MS bundles Windows Live marketplace with Windows 8, and maybe puts lot's of obstacles for Steam to load without a dozen warning about unsigned software, and that crap to click through.. :-/
And when Microsoft sets the prices at PC Gaming, games will take alot longer to drop in price, everything will suddenly become more expensive.
And then they'll ban unsigned voice-chat, and similar unless you are a gold-platinium Windows Live subscriber, and we gamers loose again. :-/

Paranoia much?

When manufacuter start incorporating media center directly into their TV sets as a standard feature, do you expect Sony to use their Playstation as a rootkit delivery vehicle to provide an extra layer of DRM for Sony content? The reality is none of the manufacturers operate in the best interest of thier consumers but of themselves and all have of history of underhanded activities.

You honestly think MS will partake in obvious monopolistic actions to hurt Steam? And how does MS plan of finding success with a closed marketplace where the MS mandates pricing and not the third party content providers? Apps store like Google's and Apple's marketplaces provide greater flexibility when comes to pricing. You can move your products price up and down and fast and as far as you want because there are no physical goods sitting on shelves purchased by retailers at set prices. EA just earned some disgruntled customers when it released SimCity for the Ipad at $4-5 then sold it at 99cents a few days later under its christmas holiday sales promotion.

Paranoia much?

When manufacuter start incorporating media center directly into their TV sets as a standard feature, do you expect Sony to use their Playstation as a rootkit delivery vehicle to provide an extra layer of DRM for Sony content? The reality is none of the manufacturers operate in the best interest of thier consumers but of themselves and all have of history of underhanded activities.

You honestly think MS will partake in obvious monopolistic actions to hurt Steam? And how does MS plan of finding success with a closed marketplace where the MS mandates pricing and not the third party content providers? Apps store like Google's and Apple's marketplaces provide greater flexibility when comes to pricing. You can move your products price up and down and fast and as far as you want because there are no physical goods sitting on shelves purchased by retailers at set prices. EA just earned some disgruntled customers when it released SimCity for the Ipad at $4-5 then sold it at 99cents a few days later under its christmas holiday sales promotion.

I expect that when you boot up Windows 8 for the first time, you'll be staring at 3 big featured items at the new MS app-store, and perhaps 10 lesser featured items. :p
And alot of people won't bother to remove the store-page, wich will be your new start-screen. They will then automatically get 70%+ marketshare, while Steampoweredgames will no longer be as important as the Microsoft app-store, and MS will be able to dictate the prices much more, while steampowered will be the new direct2drive-store.

And maybe a few years later when Steam is less important, they will sue Steam, just as they sue the Android-companies today, maybe they even use the same kinds of crazy ridickulous patents in that lawsuit wich they somehow have managed to get, delete a file from filesystem, and web-navigation inventions. :-/

Yeah, I'm paranoid.. :p

Back