Xbox 360 gaining USB storage support in 2010 update

How does that work?:???:

You'd have to have the disc inside the DVD drive to play any installed games on the HDD? In other words you'd have to carry along the DVDs too...why not just bring the DVDs and leave the HDD at home?:???:

Ah, I'm guessing you've never used XBLive. There's a ton of content on Live, especially in the USA. You could spend a year just trying to go through it all. That content doesn't need discs, just bring the hdd over and everyone plays. If someone wants to bring a disc based game they can as well, and we can see different parts of the game with their saves from their hdd. It's the 360 remember, there is no mandatory install so people can bring a disc game over, pop it in and we all get playing right away. The whole machine is built around being very social, everything from Live to voice chat to hdd parties. You are the first 360 owner that I've ever met that hasn't gone to a 360 hdd party! Or maybe it's just an LA thing :)

Ah, I'm guessing you've never used XBLive. There's a ton of content on Live, especially in the USA. You could spend a year just trying to go through it all. That content doesn't need discs, just bring the hdd over and everyone plays. If someone wants to bring a disc based game they can as well, and we can see different parts of the game with their saves from their hdd. It's the 360 remember, there is no mandatory install so people can bring a disc game over, pop it in and we all get playing right away. The whole machine is built around being very social, everything from Live to voice chat to hdd parties. You are the first 360 owner that I've ever met that hasn't gone to a 360 hdd party! Or maybe it's just an LA thing :)

Nice stealth move ;)

I've never been to an HDD party...of course, if a game is good we all own it, which is like maybe 20 games on XBLA? There is far more shovelware on XBLA than any other platform, so we really don't waste time trying to go through all that crap.

That said, it is convenient taking your profile from place to place if you want to game under your own info at someone else's place. I dont' really see the need to take your games with you, but I suppose it's pretty neat if you do.

I take my HDD to my friends for Rock Band on occasion. That way I have all my DLC and we just use their disc.

not a bad idea with tons of Rock Band or Guitar Hero DLC. ;) (I'm closing in on 15GB)

Rob! We have to play again :( I'm getting better on drums. :) (no singing Trees :oops: )

Agreed! We almost have a full band then. You on drums, me on guitar and my gf on vocals. No one cares about bassists anyway :p lol at the sneak edit about trees.

Nice stealth move ;)

More like you didn't read his post. He was talking about installed disc games on hdd. I reminded him that it's a 360 and hence there is no mandatory install.

I've never been to an HDD party...of course, if a game is good we all own it, which is like maybe 20 games on XBLA? There is far more shovelware on XBLA than any other platform, so we really don't waste time trying to go through all that crap.

Here's a hint, many people don't share your opinion on XBLive content as it's runaway success should clue you to. There is always something new to discover on Live at an hdd party. I'm still in shock that you guys haven't been to one, they are a blast. Maybe I should post some work safe pictures from the next one I go to :)

Can't you download your XBLA stuff to an unlimited number of xboxes and play them as long as you're signed into Live on that box? Most XBL games are tiny, so why not just go to your friend's, sign in to your XBL account and download it, without bringing your hdd over?

Can't you download your XBLA stuff to an unlimited number of xboxes and play them as long as you're signed into Live on that box? Most XBL games are tiny, so why not just go to your friend's, sign in to your XBL account and download it?

Who wants to sit around and wait? There's lots of people there, some friends, some people you don't know, some don't even have a game console but are curious to see. They have little interest in staring at download screens or watching 15 people type in their user names and passwords. Try downloading on site sometime, you'll get the controller swiped from you in no time. Add some booze to the mix and you'll probably get heckled :) Just plug in and play, that's what it's all about. You still need peoples hdd's for save games and dlc anyways.

Who wants to sit around and wait? There's lots of people there, some friends, some people you don't know, some don't even have a game console but are curious to see. They have little interest in staring at download screens or watching 15 people type in their user names and passwords. Try downloading on site sometime, you'll get the controller swiped from you in no time. Add some booze to the mix and you'll probably get heckled :) Just plug in and play, that's what it's all about. You still need peoples hdd's for save games and dlc anyways.
You don't need to type in your username/password when you bring your HDD over? Is the Live account user/pass saved in your HDD then?

More like you didn't read his post. He was talking about installed disc games on hdd. I reminded him that it's a 360 and hence there is no mandatory install.

Here's a hint, many people don't share your opinion on XBLive content as it's runaway success should clue you to. There is always something new to discover on Live at an hdd party. I'm still in shock that you guys haven't been to one, they are a blast. Maybe I should post some work safe pictures from the next one I go to :)

Well, I have him on my ignore list, and you don't help quoting :p I didn't catch the whole discussion.

Still, I don't think the success of XBLA has much to do with it's content as much as it does the constant spam of advertisements that hit you in the face every corner you turn on NXE. Besides, since when does success = quality? I can think of tons of Wii Ware / PSN games that are fantastic but aren't as successful as freaking feeding frenzy. That certainly doesn't make Feeding Frenzy a good game by any stretch of the imagination.

Just installed the new update and did a quick test. I timed running the new Splinter Cell demo from the 120gb hdd on my 360 Elite, and then timed it off a usb memory card. Both made it to the title screen in 34 seconds, so no speed gain there. But then game boots are optimized for seeks to pass trc so I guess it's not hugely surprising. I'll need to do gameplay timings later.

Edit: I'm using the 16gb version of this memory stick: http://www.hitechreview.com/uploads/2009/07/Memory-Stick-PRO-HG-Duo-HX.jpg . I normally use it on a video camera, but it came with it's own reader so it can also be plugged into the 360.

Would there really be much speed gain expected versus HDD? The Intel or OCZ SSDs maybe, but my impression is that it wouldn't be too significant.

:?:

Agreed! We almost have a full band then. You on drums, me on guitar and my gf on vocals. No one cares about bassists anyway :p lol at the sneak edit about trees.

Your girl can sing Lady Gaga, right? ;) Cartman.... I *might* be able to pull off. :D kekel

here is another use for the USB evidently (especially if you only have a 20GB). this would be good for transferring video or movies taking up space.

Just want to go ahead and chime in on this.

Yes you ARE able to transfer the 360 files to your PC's HDD. Make sure you enable the option to view hidden files and folders in Windows. There's a folder labeled "Xbox360" that you can copy to your PC's HDD.

Essentially, you can store anything on your PC's HDD if you find that it's wasting space on your 360's HDD.

This to me is huge. Whatever is wasting space on my 360's 20GB HDD I can just put on my flash drive then transfer to my PC. And whenever I want to go ahead and use that content I can transfer from PC HDD to flash drive at will.

HUGE.

my 16GB (cheap Kingston datatraveler) formatted and passed spec test just fine... transferred a few things to it already

Thanks TapIN. I'm gonna move my saved games data on a PC for backup. Nice work MS.

Al, yeah she loves lady gaga songs so we'll certainly be playing those again...
and again and again :(

Would there really be much speed gain expected versus HDD? The Intel or OCZ SSDs maybe, but my impression is that it wouldn't be too significant.

Prolly not...but I'm hoping it has an effect on seek heavy games like GTA, although there's no easy way to time that aside from visually judging things like pop in.

Ah, I'm guessing you've never used XBLive. There's a ton of content on Live, especially in the USA. You could spend a year just trying to go through it all. That content doesn't need discs, just bring the hdd over and everyone plays.

I do use XBLive, purchased about 10 good games from there. I also have DLC for some DVD based games. I've never been to any XBLive parties, never really knew they existed, but then again I've never been to any LAN parties either.

here is another use for the USB evidently (especially if you only have a 20GB). this would be good for transferring video or movies taking up space.

my 16GB (cheap Kingston datatraveler) formatted and passed spec test just fine... transferred a few things to it already

I also tried with a cheap Kingston 16gb datatraveler, and it failed the test :( Tried to install a game and took almost 3 times longer than hdd-installing... Am I doing something wrong?

I do use XBLive, purchased about 10 good games from there. I also have DLC for some DVD based games. I've never been to any XBLive parties, never really knew they existed, but then again I've never been to any LAN parties either.

Live Arcade parties are great because there's some really fun multiplayer games there... I once spent a whole night with my friends playing nothing but that South Park tower defense (It supports 4 player coop and its AWESOME)

Back