Xbox 15th Anniversary

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
Xbox is 15 years old today! She is at that difficult age. Some announcements programmed.

bHFkHJ0.png

CxT0T3aWQAEorBs.jpg

CxSzFQPUoAA1q-d.jpg

I've had 5 of these.
- Xbox Crystal, my first console ever (December 2004 Halo 2 bundle)
- Xbox 360 got it in November 2005, day one
- Xbox 360 60 GB HDMI purchased a couple of years later
- Xbox 360 Slim in 2009
- Xbox One in 2013, launch day too

...meh. I'd be impressed if the cupcakes were actually frosted with the 15th anniversary logo, rather than just having printed wafers stuck on top.

I'll pass.

For me I can say every Xbox has gotten better. I have enjoyed my One better than my 360, and 360 was better than OG Xbox, which was a somewhat lackluster console IMO outside of the stupendous, machine defining Halo 1.

Also IMO you simply dont get any better than Xbox controllers, especially in their refined form today. ALTHOUGH the newest S model controller I bought the other day, and on Destiny PVP I found it unplayable! It's simply that my fingers keep brushing the shoulder buttons when hitting the triggers causing unintended presses (they are just enough closer together to cause the problem). But it could be that eventually I will learn to overcome that.

Very excited for Scorpio's massive boost of power. The UI needs it among software. It will be nice for Xbox to be king of the power hill again where the brand has typically resided and I feel it belongs (begone, Mattrick!).

OG Xbox was short lived but I think it really kicked off online multiplayer on consoles. Looking back Halo 2 was the first big online multiplayer game that I played extensively.

...meh. I'd be impressed if the cupcakes were actually frosted with the 15th anniversary logo, rather than just having printed wafers stuck on top.

I'll pass.
:LOL: decoration seems very important to you, I guess. With your passion they could make a cute and stylish logo for the occasion. My disappointment with the event is that I expected big news regarding the backwards compatibility of the original Xbox. I want to play Ninja Gaiden 2, PGR2, etc etc, again.
For me I can say every Xbox has gotten better. I have enjoyed my One better than my 360, and 360 was better than OG Xbox, which was a somewhat lackluster console IMO outside of the stupendous, machine defining Halo 1.

Also IMO you simply dont get any better than Xbox controllers, especially in their refined form today. ALTHOUGH the newest S model controller I bought the other day, and on Destiny PVP I found it unplayable! It's simply that my fingers keep brushing the shoulder buttons when hitting the triggers causing unintended presses (they are just enough closer together to cause the problem). But it could be that eventually I will learn to overcome that.

Very excited for Scorpio's massive boost of power. The UI needs it among software. It will be nice for Xbox to be king of the power hill again where the brand has typically resided and I feel it belongs (begone, Mattrick!).
The one that I actually enjoyed the most is the Xbox 360, but I gotta admit the One is better overall, and I am not talking about power. Plus now that it has one of my favourite games ever, Skyrim, with mods, it is actually actually getting there, at the very top.
OG Xbox was short lived but I think it really kicked off online multiplayer on consoles. Looking back Halo 2 was the first big online multiplayer game that I played extensively.
I remember a casual friend of mine, when in early 2005 I started playing Halo 2's multiplayer, how genuinely impressed he was listening to the voices of other people and how the moved around..., telling me "that's how all the games should be done".

That was more of a compliment coming from him, 'cos he was quite the perfect casual who played sport games at most.

Not just that but it prompted Microsoft to work closely with a lot of internet backbone operators to change how traffic is routed on the internet in order to facilitate lower latency, lower packet loss, and a higher packet priority for gaming related (and to an extent other traffic as well) traffic. As well as that, they worked with software developers to support native internet multiplayer within games rather than only offering a LAN option.

Microsoft really did a lot to make internet gaming much less painful than it had been prior to the launch of the XB-Live. I still remember using all those various LAN over internet services in order to play multiplayer games over the internet, and those could be quite painful. Games with native internet multi-player were rare and even then often required a separate server browser or required you to trade IP addresses with whoever you wanted to play with.

Regards,
SB

Not just that but it prompted Microsoft to work closely with a lot of internet backbone operators to change how traffic is routed on the internet in order to facilitate lower latency, lower packet loss, and a higher packet priority for gaming related (and to an extent other traffic as well) traffic. As well as that, they worked with software developers to support native internet multiplayer within games rather than only offering a LAN option.

Microsoft really did a lot to make internet gaming much less painful than it had been prior to the launch of the XB-Live. I still remember using all those various LAN over internet services in order to play multiplayer games over the internet, and those could be quite painful. Games with native internet multi-player were rare and even then often required a separate server browser or required you to trade IP addresses with whoever you wanted to play with.

Regards,
SB

Yeah also if I remember correctly Xbox Live required broadband internet connection from the start...which was bold because 56K internet was still pretty common in 2002.

Also with Halo 2 I think "matchmaking" was a huge thing. The ability to automatically have a steady flow of matches without having to manually search for and configure matches was huge.

Such a disappointing day...nothing really of note. I figured they would have had more for a 15th year Anniversary milestone.
Yeah, at best I was hoping for original Xbox BC, or just straight up ports of original xbox titles (although I imagine the rights/licenses/copyright etc would be fairly difficult for a number of titles).

Yeah, at best I was hoping for original Xbox BC, or just straight up ports of original xbox titles (although I imagine the rights/licenses/copyright etc would be fairly difficult for a number of titles).
me too, because there was some leaked pictures that were showing quite clearly some original Xbox games are being made backwards compatible for the One.

Both Sony and Nintendo wished the Xbox a happy birthday.

wvr1J1r.png

AlTNdsY.jpg

I remembered playing the demo for that. IIRC, the framerate was a bit weird, but I had fun. Wonder what it'd take to get a remaster since Blizzard bought the studio. :/

Back