X06: Which Announcement Will Have the Greatest Impact?

What announcement at X06 will carry the most weight for MS?

• Creation of a close relationship with Peter Jackson.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Halo games, and lot's of 'em!

Votes: 37 44.0%
  • GTA IV exclusive content

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • PGR4 unveiling

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Banjo Kazooie

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Bioshock MS platform exclusive

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • Splinter Cell: DA exclusive

• HD-DVD@200; includes remote and film (King Kong)

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • Further build-out of Live Arcade

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • 'Live Anywhere' and its arrival

• Total voters
Banjo will pull Nintendorks over to MS's camp.

Well, i think that Banjo is important because while MS has gained mindshare with the xbox brand, they havent done as good a job with their characters/mascots.

Who is the xbox 'guy' (or gal)? Its one thing to like a brand but, and Nintendo does this very effectively, to like people (or characters as it were) is something completely different and very powerful imo. If MS can somehow get some brand recognition going with Banjo it might be very helpful in this regard. (Actually they may have waited this long so they could let the Nintendo association fade away...)

Thats why the Halo franchise expansion gets my vote. Halo is something undeniably "Xbox" and the more it permeates pop culture the more people know the xbox brand via association.

hey now, maybe if MGS2 was actually a good game we wouldn't have this problem! :p

I have not knocked MGS at all actually in the last year, but I'll let my opinion be known now...

It's actually the hardest thing for me on these forums. I HATE MGS and LOVE SC, but try to contain myself when the MGS4 threads come by and just avoid them like the plague. :)

PS: Just like I hate when people piss on X360 threads, I try not to do the same to PS3 threads.

Now that the thread's been derailed, I'll add my opinion too. I agree with xbdestroya on how the two franchises don't really compete with each other. Sure they both have stealth gameplay elements, but then would you consider Thief and Splinter Cell competitors?

MGS will always have the comic book styled characters and far-out plot (which is the main reason why I play it), which I think fans of the series have grown to love and will always come back to play for. And SC will has the high-tech gadgetry and serious international espionage angle to it. Both games rely heavily on their mood and storylines to attract fans, and not just gameplay, so that's why I don't see them really competing with each other.

Edit: Oh, and I voted for more Halo games... which is the obvious choice :)

I don't agree that MGS and SC are not competing. Maybe not anymore, because SC stole most of the MGS fan base that cared about stealth gameplay and left behind mostly people who love the soap opera story. That's Chaos Theory + MGS3 sales = MGS 2 sales in NA/EU. Japan is a different story and pretty much stuck to the tried and tested MGS.

It's actually the hardest thing for me on these forums. I HATE MGS and LOVE SC, but try to contain myself when the MGS4 threads come by and just avoid them like the plague. :)

Oh, you see here? Another SC zealot/MGS hater (they're one and the same!) Dude, why even concern yourself with MGS? Does others' love for it trouble you that much? ;)

I'm telling you, there is this *thing* inside SC fans, whereas MGS fans have no such inclination to knock SC.

I don't agree that MGS and SC are not competing.

Of course you don't agree... you're a Splinter Cell fan! :D

Yes, take all your 'stealth gameplay' lovers and leave the 'art' lovers alone! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm telling you, there is this *thing* inside SC fans, whereas MGS fans have no such inclination to knock SC.

Meh, that's nothing but your own bias showing through imo. Most people in the realworld are interested in both games, and play them on their merits. For example, I really disliked MGS2 but am very anxious to try MGS3 as I like the genre in general.

Everyone I know in person iwho carers aboutthis sort of thing is s excited about both MGS and the new SC.

I think alot MGS fans(on the internet) don't like to acknowledge that any game can be compared to it, because it's special or something. To me it's like saying Halo and GoW can't be compared... why not? They most certainly compete for the same demographic, just like MGS and SC.

Well Inane and Scooby, here we are in this thread though with several SC fans knocking MGS, but no MGS fan knocking SC. I think it's an indicative microchosm.

No no no, not at all...

OK, I admire and applaud your stance on this, I just think that microsoft are 100% focussed on displacing Sony as the leading player in the console market (understandably - but I would prefer to see them in perpetual second place, and helping to keep everybody else honest) and any announcements they make are dedicated towards that goal.

Claiming that MS announcements can be viewed in isolation from the other leading console players reminds me of the efforts cigarette makers make to justify ciggy advertising on the grounds that they are not looking to convert new smokers just make existing smokers switch to a new brand.

OK, I admire and applaud your stance on this, I just think that microsoft are 100% focussed on displacing Sony as the leading player in the console market (understandably - but I would prefer to see them in perpetual second place, and helping to keep everybody else honest) and any announcements they make are dedicated towards that goal.

Yeah, obviously I agree with that - but I just don't see how something like 'Live Anywhere' can be viewed as anything other than a positive for MS, rather than a 'negative' for Sony. See wat I'm saying? It's trying to set themselves apart via the creation of a new front in the battle, rather than an attempt to wage the battle on traditional terms (such as game exclusives).

It's complicated, because you could say that Sony not having said 'positive' is of course a 'negative,' but seriously... just read the post of mine you quoted over again, as there's really no better way I can explain the presentation of this thread over what I have already done. :)

Yeah, obviously I agree with that - but I just don't see how something like 'Live Anywhere' can be viewed as anything other than a positive for MS, rather than a 'negative' for Sony. See wat I'm saying? It's trying to set themselves apart via the creation of a new front in the battle, rather than an attempt to wage the battle on traditional terms (such as game exclusives).

MS are attempting (fairly successfully) to make XBOX live a major differentiator between the two platforms. 'Live Anywhere' is an extension of that, i'm not sure it should be considered a new front.

I don't want to downplay the X06 conference, lots of good stuff, I actually considered the HD-DVD add-on for a minute cos it's such a good value package but I still feel they are coming up a little short. (GOW may be what helps me get over the euro PS3 delay tho)

Well Inane and Scooby, here we are in this thread though with several SC fans knocking MGS, but no MGS fan knocking SC. I think it's an indicative microchosm.

its is an indicative microcosm indeed, but not for the argument you are bringing up between those two. ;)

It's not indicitave of anything, MGS fans bash SC all the time. Visited GAF lately? Again, I think it's your own bias which makes you think such sweeping generalizations are accurate in any way.

...Visited GAF lately?...

Why in the world would I do that? ;)

Ok Scooby, I may be biased *towards* MGS, but I'm not biased *against* SC. It's negative bias I have an issue with really. And if there are MGS fans that bash SC games out of hand simply for the sake of doing so... well then hey, I codemn that behaviour just as much, and accept my apology on their behalfs. They're giving the Kojima fans out there a bad name.

I don't agree that MGS and SC are not competing. Maybe not anymore, because SC stole most of the MGS fan base that cared about stealth gameplay and left behind mostly people who love the soap opera story. That's Chaos Theory + MGS3 sales = MGS 2 sales in NA/EU. Japan is a different story and pretty much stuck to the tried and tested MGS.

For me, I think direct competition is more like GT4 and Forza. Now there we can see more areas of similarity. Even though SC and MGS both have stealth, they aren't even the same kind of stealth. One requires you to primarily hide in the shadows and the other was more camo & tranquilizing. What I do find similar is that both can be pretty trial & error type gameplay..

I see what you're trying to say though.. that everyone that was disappointed with MGS2 jumped ship to SC. Why anyone would do that is beyond me, since I think both series are worth playing.. even though I do prefer MGS :) But stealth fans should appreciate what both series try to do.

Ok, let me try to save my thread once again by asking some straight up questions that people may or may not know the answer to...

Live Anywhere on the PC - will that involve a yearly fee?

HD-DVD drive; will it be PC compatable?

Wireless controllers - heard they were working on a PC adaptor, are they?

Some of these things have been discussed before, but I figure someone around here may have more than the 'average' information on these.

Ok, let me try to save my thread once again by asking some straight up questions that people may or may not know the answer to...

Live Anywhere on the PC - will that involve a yearly fee?

HD-DVD drive; will it be PC compatable?

Wireless controllers - heard they were working on a PC adaptor, are they?

Some of these things have been discussed before, but I figure someone around here may have more than the 'average' information on these.

HD-DVD will probably be PC compatible but no official word.

Definitely an adapter for wireless controllers for the PC. Actually its an RF basestation that will allow all the wireless 360 peripherals to work with it.

Incidentally XBD, how are you determining that no MGS fans consider SC a comparison? Yeah i brought it up....again. ;)

Incidentally XBD, how are you determining that no MGS fans consider SC a comparison? Yeah i brought it up....again. ;)

Yes you did. ;)

Ok how about this... fans of the 'stealth' genre consider them comparable; fans of Kojima's storyline do not. I just believe that at this point in the series history, most MGS fans, whather a part of the former group or not, are more likely also a part of the later.

I've been hearing rumblings at some forums that an MS rep said it will not be compatible with windows... :???:

Probably nothing a driver couldn't fix though...

You know, a standard optical drive with a usb connector, how can it NOT be compatible? If it doesnt work, they went out of their way to make it so...

Back