[360, PS3] Dragon Age: Origins

The word on the street is that dex bonus to damages doesn't apply accordingly to the description.
(0.3 extra damage for each point spent instead of 0.5 for dex weapons obviously) but it could even more fishy than than that.
Yes, the calculation seems to average to roughly 0.3 points damage (post-fix) for both STR and DEX. IIRC, the descriptions doesn't say anything about how much damage is gained by increasing stats just that it's 50/50. Thus, the damage calculation works out so that weapons governed by two character attributes increase half as fast per total point spent. Otherwise they'd just be way too powerful.

Also of note: Daggers are faster than long swords. So while the damage per hit is lower, the higher attack frequency results in more damage per second. The increased attack frequency gain in advantage with damage modifiers such as poisons, fire enchanted weapons etc.

Cheers

Yes, the calculation seems to average to roughly 0.3 points damage (post-fix) for both STR and DEX. IIRC, the descriptions doesn't say anything about how much damage is gained by increasing stats just that it's 50/50. Thus, the damage calculation works out so that weapons governed by two character attributes increase half as fast per total point spent. Otherwise they'd just be way too powerful.
I think it's more broken than that. Attach rating augments correctly that for sure damages are another matter.
And it doesn't explain why I do more damages (significantly more) with a longsword (with my low strength and lower characteristic than my daggers) than with a dagger while dual wielding.

Anyway it's not my main complain with the game, it's not what frustrate me the most.

I think it's more broken than that. Attach rating augments correctly that for sure damages are another matter.
And it doesn't explain why I do more damages (significantly more) with a longsword (with my low strength and lower characteristic than my daggers) than with a dagger while dual wielding.

The advantage of daggers are: Speed, critical chance and armour penetration. Dual wielding is a very poor choice for fighters, but an excellent one for rogues.

Dex does work. But for daggers you only get 85% of 50%, or 0.425 per dex attribute point spent. Then comes the dual wielding penalty.

This may sound weak, but remember you pour almost all your attribute points into dex: you need 20 in str and 26 in cunning, the rest goes into dex. This means you get physical resistance, defense, attack and dmg increases for every point spent.

Your above comments prompted me to do a proper dual wielding rogue play through (and not the cunning focused build I did first), specialized as duelist/assasin, it is a ridiculously overpowered build.

With a build topped out at 90 dex, you get 160 defense (never gets hit), 135 attack (always hits), 35-45 dmg, 50-80 crits/backstabs and three times the attack freqency of a sword+board fighter. Talents that turns every hit into a critical hit on a stunned character, combined with dirty fighting and paralyze runes on the off hand blade -> pain.

Cheers

Back