X06: Which Announcement Will Have the Greatest Impact?

What announcement at X06 will carry the most weight for MS?

• Creation of a close relationship with Peter Jackson.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Halo games, and lot's of 'em!

Votes: 37 44.0%
  • GTA IV exclusive content

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • PGR4 unveiling

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Banjo Kazooie

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Bioshock MS platform exclusive

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • Splinter Cell: DA exclusive

• HD-DVD@200; includes remote and film (King Kong)

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • Further build-out of Live Arcade

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • 'Live Anywhere' and its arrival

• Total voters
I totally disagree. It’s effectively a $50-100 tax. The product itself is not guaranteed to work (HD output), most consumers will not like it at all.

Most consumers won't know what ICT is, most sales reps will be equally clueless. Have you talked to the idiots who work at Bestbuy or Futureshop recently?

You could look at it as a tax, but in reality, just like DVD after 6 years people most people will have one or two standalone's in their house, they won't have to buy a new player. The 360 just won't play stuff released after 2011, maybe.

The Halo franchise expansion is definitely a good move. Although it's hard to say just how many people beyond the already established Halo fanbase it will appeal to, at the minimum you have the opportunity for expanded revenue via increased title density among that group, as well as the chance for 'genre outreach' among gamers who are intrigued by the Halo universe, but for whom FPS' aren't really their thing.

That would include me, via the RTS announcement. Though, again I'm still wondering as to the execution on the console implementation.

(Banjo Kazooie finally got a vote!)

Just got back from work and checked all the stuff..

MS did good..securing Bioshock is really pretty huge, IMO..
And the next Splinter Cell could very well be the 360s "Metal Gear" per say.

I'm a musician so I can't get too excited over MMO'S and RTS'..I literally can't afford to waste time (aka get hooked like a heroin addict) to these genres. Though I do want a little piece of Huxley.

Most consumers won't know what ICT is, most sales reps will be equally clueless. Have you talked to the idiots who work at Bestbuy or Futureshop recently?

You could look at it as a tax, but in reality, just like DVD after 6 years people most people will have one or two standalone's in their house, they won't have to buy a new player. The 360 just won't play stuff released after 2011, maybe.

It more like your 360 won't play movies at 1080p that are manufactured after 2011, but downscale to 720p. Big deal by that time the 720 and ps4 will be out and the visual difference between 720p vs. 1080p is like 2 minutes.

I mean noone spends a hour and half on a movie or a game going "Wow, look at that clarity". That HD effect last only a few minutes at the most and eye begins to focus more on the relevant aspect of a videogame or a movie (the action or drama at hand).

I remember the Texas-USC title game last year. Started out on a 50inch 720p TV with HD broadcast at a neighbors and ended up at home on 42 inch 1080i TV being broadcast in analog. I went wow for the 2 minutes while they were preparing for the field, but my visual experience between the two TV set were the same because I was more engrossed by what was going on on the field than how the field looked visually.

every single announcement has a specific target.
I think all buletpoints in m$ presentation where very carefully planned.
great success overall if you ask me.

as you already said (xbdestro), its the sum of the parts that gives the powah
but If I had to separate them bulletpoints, each one would still be very important to its purpose.
I think voted for Bioshock exclusive, since Bioshock will most probably be the best game of the year,
or was it Splinter Cell to fight versus MGS4 for total dominance?
hmmm maybe it was jackson creating games and "interactive experiences" which is somehow great news for the visionaries.
or that my hopes of Halo Cart are renewed? :D

every single announcement on that keynote was quite important.

Ok, what in the world is with Spinter Cell fans thinking the series competes with Metal Gear Solid? Only in your minds people! :p

I swear everywhere I go I always see SC fans making comparisons between SC and MGS - it doesn't matter the year,console, or era - and then picking SC over MGS because it of course 'looks better.' People - believe me when I say MGS fans are not playing MGS because of graphics or sneaking alone. There is a depth here... a depth...

Anyway P3tran yeah like I said, I agree that every point MS made is important - each worthy of threads unto themselves - and the sum is greater than the parts. But also like I said, I think this format helps to focus discussion (and it has thus far) rather than encouraging a shouting match-style environment.

And see, you voted Bioshock. A good choice, and even in a crowded field, everyone has their own opinion for the most important announcement made. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, what in the world is with Spinter Cell fans thinking the series competes with Metal Gear Solid? Only in your minds people! :p

I swear everywhere I go I always see SC fans making comparisons between SC and MGS - it doesn't matter the year,console, or era - and then picking SC over MGS because it of course 'looks better.' People - believe me when I say MGS fans are not playing MGS because of graphics or sneaking alone. There is a depth here... a depth...

true but they are also different styles and some people actually prefer the SC style not to mention that the online component to SC is usually tits (a different kind of depth) and one reason that the title has done so well. :smile:

I voted for Halo because it seems to be the only one with multiplier effect and more "guaranteed" impact. This is great news for XBox gamers worldwide. My second choice goes to Bioshock exclusive for PC and Xbox 360. Increasingly, we should be seeing more games exclusive to both PC and Xbox 360 (as a formula).

Live Anywhere benefits is too abstract (Unified Messaging has been around for years but take up is small and usually by businesses). The other games have their pocket of followers but none as big as Halo. HD DVD player pricing is expected (USD 199) because of announced price in TGS for Japan, and since it's not bundled... it doesn't really have the cost and footprint advantage of Blu-ray+PS3 combo (If worldwide low-end PS3 model has HDMI also).

Halo 3 is still reserved as a counter to the PS3 train later this year ^_^

Yep that remote goes for $20 to $30 and HD-DVDs go for about $20 to $30. So we're getting the drive for around $150 or so. Pretty sweet deal. HD-DVD gets my vote.

Agreed. Great value. I voted the same since it has more of an impact in the short term than the Halo and PJ news. Bad thing is the bundled movie is "for a limited time".

Tommy McClain

Anyway P3tran yeah like I said, I agree that every point MS made is important - each worthy of threads unto themselves - and the sum is greater than the parts. But also like I said, I think this format helps to focus discussion (and it has thus far) rather than encouraging a shouting match-style environment.

And see, you voted Bioshock. A good choice, and even in a crowded field, everyone has their own opinion for the most important announcement made. :)

xbd, I dont think that its me illusioning here.
I think it is m$'s plan to make this SC5 Vs MGS4 thing.
it seems to me as an m$ strategy to knock out sony bulletpoints one by one.

that said,
I will definately be playing MGS4 when its available, my opinions are known that MGS4 will be a GREAT game, with tremendous attention to detail, (hell, I was probably the only one in this forum praising the animation on the last video :D)
but I cant help but notice this staged fight for next year, and anticipating the news with popcorn and soda.
I am even willing to bet that SC5 will have some kind of robotic ally that electrocutes opponents in the crouch, just like otagon in the latest mgs video :D

yes, from the entire list I voted for Bioshock.
I didnt want to, but I couldnt resist to the memories of the previous games greatness. 8)
jackson is great news too.
a couple of days ago, given the opportunity of "AFRICA" video on ps3, we said something about future and mix of games with interactivity-entertainment.
p.j. is a big name related to movies etc to have on your side, so this could be a first step towards that direction. (hope dies last :D )

Scare tactics work and the TGS HDMI decision basically saved Sony from suffering from it. The fact that most people now want the 20gb version is a testament to this. At the same time it has completely torpedoed the HD-DVD add-on in my opinion, the $500 PS3 is now an immensely better deal than HD-DVD add-on plus 360 premium (no one buys core’s) all things considered for the discerning game and movie enthusiast.

Now if there’s a 360 price drop, it’s all change again.

Hopefully, MS might have thought a price cut can wait till Sony starts ramping up production and is no longer having supply issues in the spring. A little disappointed, but can't say I'm not suprised. Maybe we'll hear more details in January at CES?

Tommy McClain

I would not mind if Mr. Peter Jackson, bought the rights to one of his favorite games, developed it and spun off a movie. I have been waiting for Beyond Good and Evil 2, for years now, here's to hoping...

EDIT: I voted for the Live Anywhere...I have my reasons

true but they are also different styles and some people actually prefer the SC style not to mention that the online component to SC is usually tits (a different kind of depth) and one reason that the title has done so well. :smile:

Hey absolutely, I'm not knocking SC whatsoever - I'm just saying it's never MGS fans that raise comparisons between the two... it's always SC fans wondering how anyone could possibly stick to MGS when SC is sitting right there, looking so pretty. ;)

And people... it's not because of graphics, it's because of the story. The story and the artistry is why we stay loyal. :cool:

WTF!?

You're entitled to your opinion, but as far as I'm concerned SC owns MGS six ways until sunday. Compete? Hell, I'd rather play SC anyday, there is no competition. Chaos Theory was an amazing game, one look at gamerankings.com will confirm that for you.

IMO the story is utter crap and boring as hell. But hey, that's just me.

WTF!?

You're entitled to your opinion, but as far as I'm concerned SC owns MGS six ways until sunday. Compete? Hell, I'd rather play SC anyday, there is no competition. Chaos Theory was an amazing game, one look at gamerankings.com will confirm that for you.

LOL, look at my above post Scooby. ;)

I don't understand where you're getting that I'm knocking SC - I'm just saying it and MGS don't compete with one another whatsoever, even though SC fans seem to think they do.

Scooby here is just another example of the typical SC zealot's desire to knock MGS any chance he gets. :p

LOL, look at my above post Scooby. ;)

I don't understand where you're understanding that I'm knocking SC - I'm just saying it and MGS don't compete with one another whatsoever, even though SC fans seem to think they do.

lol, ya I added a sentance about the story.

Anyways, donm't mind me too much, I just had abut 5 beers and stopped in at work beore heading home, Bad Religion concert tonight! Wooop!

But MGS still doesn't hold a candle to SC in my book, just thoguht I'd throw that out there ;)

p.s. They do compete because they are both part of the so-called stealth genre.

You see what I'm talking about friends... countrymen? To the SC fan there exists a competition between these two games... a 'stealth' gnre. But to the MGS fan, no competetion exists. There may be a 'stealth' genre... but MGS is part of the 'MGS' genre. ;)

Get over it guys, as much as it frustrates you, you're not winning any MGS converts based on better visuals or any of the rest of it - we're simply not interested in leaving the story of Solid Snake behind. :cool:

OK, but MGS is not exactly the greatest selling game on earth right? So what about people who are simply fans of the stealth genre? Do these two games not compete?

I see what you're saying, MGS is unique. Well so is SC. So....

Scooby here is just another example of the typical SC zealot's desire to knock MGS any chance he gets. :p

hey now, maybe if MGS2 was actually a good game we wouldn't have this problem! :p

I have not knocked MGS at all actually in the last year, but I'll let my opinion be known now...

Back