[360, PS3] Dragon Age: Origins

Was surprised there was no existing thread on this game so here goes. . .

http://dragonage.bioware.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DragonAge

Picked this up yesterday for the PS3 and so far have around 3 hours into it. Initial impressions:

1. best voice acting I have seen in a game for the PS3

Sitting on the couch with my better half it often felt like we were watching an edgy fantasy themed mini-series as much as playing a game. Usually I want to fast forward through dialogue in games but the acting and writing is solid enough to greatly reduce that urge. The approach they have taken to character animation in the close up dialogue scenes is also awesome, very film / TV like, lots of motion capture and nice background activity (to the point of behaving almost like a screen saver).

2. absolutely horrible frame rate when not in dialogue trees

The frame rate in this game is rarely what I would call acceptable. It is not so much that it is low (which it is) but that it is extremely jerky which is disorienting. It might be easier on smaller screens but playing this via my LCD projector (72" or so screen) is really hard on the eyes when moving around in the world or battling. Supposedly the PS3 has better textures but a lower frame rate than the 360 and if true I would say the 360 is probably a better choice if you are playing on a larger screen. In the dialogue sections everything is alright (though the character animations could use more tweening) but in action it is often very poor.

3. absolutely terrible first level / intro

I am surprised that they chose to open the game with such an attrocious looking level. After some cut scenes you are placed in the "Fade" which is an other worldly place. To visually denote this location a very strong radial like blur effect is used which on my screen at least was really quite painful to play through (think of those blurry text t-shirts but applied to the entire screen). This happens almost immediately in the game and I was honestly unsure whether this effect was part of the Fade or if this was what folks meant about the game not being a "looker" (i.e. PS2 level graphics with massive blur to try to hide it).

It takes about 30 minutes to an hour to get out of the Fade and I was very close to deciding that I had been ripped off by EA and trying to sell off the game before I finally made it out of the Fade and away from the eye destroying land of blur. I certainly hope very little time is spent in Fade as I don't feel much like a visit to the optometrist for a new prescription. If large segments of the game take place in the Fade and that blur effect stays, I would consider the game close to unplayable on bigger screens.

4. (possibly) glitchy controls / so so menus

With a stat driven RPG menu layout and structure is extremely important. In DAO I find that there are missing visual cues at times to make it clear things like, "what have I read?" The cursor highlighting is indistinguishable from highlighted entries and the collapsible lists approach used makes it trivial to accidentally "read" something while trying to find it in the first place. The menu system seems to sometimes remember your state but not consistently which is unfortunate since you need to bounce back and forth a fair bit.

I am not 100% sure but it seems like there is some glitching in the controls at times or at least it is easy to get in a state where it is unclear that the system is waiting for an acknowledgment of some sort from the player but there is no indication of what is being asked. I kept finding last night that I would be somewhere in the inventory system and things would seem frozen but then after a period, it would suddenly let me back out. The problem here is that by the point I did manage to exit, I had already started button mashing mode trying to tell what was going on so may have cued up some button hits.

5. mini-map is static, poor implementation of player locator

Personally, I hate when mini-maps do not rotate to the direction the player is facing. In DAO the map is static and there is a cone emanating out from the player which is shows which direction *the camera* is facing. The problem with this is that as the camera and player are independent and the camera is more flexible direction wise than the player, it can be difficult to get yourself walking in the same direction as the camera. Personally I would much prefer standard N/S/E/W markers and a rotating map tied to the direction the player is facing.

6. control of NPCs in party is cool

The ability to switch between party members is cool. I am not sure how it effects things character development wise but it is definitely an interesting dynamic and allows for some fun micro-management when you are in the mood for that sort of thing.

7. loot mechanism semi-broken

DAO includes a loot mechanism in that enemies killed will drop loot. Bizarrely (as in how did this make it into the release version?) it can literally take between 10 and 30 seconds for loot to actually show up. You basically have to sit there and wait around to see if loot will appear or not. Adding to that, choosing an NPC and picking up loot get triggered by the same button. This makes it very common to end up in a dialogue tree instead of your intended action of grabbing some spoils which is twice as annoying after being force to loiter for the drop.

8. spammy pushing of downloadble content

The game has a downloadable icon in the freaking main inventory menu. If you are playing offline (which I have bee due to sporadic issues with my PS3's ethernet port), the game gets paused and forces you to acknowledge a nag dialogue about signing on everytime you inadvertently scroll too far to the right. Not only is this annoying but pushing "downloadable" in the middle of a medieval fantasy RPG messes with immersion. Shame on you EA.

As a side note, in a moment of simplemindedness I bought the game used and forgot to check the state of the downloadable content (they had just bought it a day before so perhaps never made it out of the first blur level). Unfortunately, the prior owner used one of the DLC codes. What I do not know however is what impact this has on the game - am I missing something really important? Is the DLC actually worth $15? The in game description of DLC is weak.

SUMMARY

I have to say that the implementation of everything other than the dialogue trees so far has been at best OK to at times totally gross (framerate, framerate, framerate). Compared to a game like Oblivion, DOA appears unpolished for a big studio game. I have played other games (Sacred 2 for example) with issues of frame rate which while annoying, tend not to interfere with the core gameplay. In DOA however the framerate can make it tiring to explore the world.

Countering that, the dialogue trees are so well done you still very much want to explore the world and so far they seem to be a huge portion of the game which is why this is not already in the sell pile. It is some of the best in game acting and writing I have seen in ages and falls very firmly in the "interactive movie" realm. This feels like a true RPG, the emphasis on "role playing" more than "game". I definitely wish that EA had put more money into the underlaying engine as everything else here seems top notch.

If the frame rate issues were corrected most of my other complaints would slide down to "floor noise" level I expect. But as this is now out the door, I seriously doubt that will happen.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the Fade intro is exclusive to one of the backgrounds. Playing as a human, I didn't have a fade level until much further into the game.

I think this game was really a PC game ported to the PS3 and the 360, which is why the PS3 and 360 versions are not getting a lot of attention. The PC thread is fairly active.

Thanks for those impressions. Most review sites put all 3 platforms in a single review, so it's hard to tell what effects which version. I'm going to buy it for PS3 tomorrow.

Well, technically it's specific to an Origin. Each origin has a specific start. In this case a Mage of any race only has one Origin, so only one story.

Rogues and Warriors on the other hand have 5 possible origins/stories.

It's a shame the PS3 version doesn't seem as polished as the PC version. It's truly one of the best traditional (in my mind, THE best) CRPGs of this decade.

Regards,
SB

Well, technically it's specific to an Origin. Each origin has a specific start. In this case a Mage of any race only has one Origin, so only one story.

Regards,
SB

No it's not. The origin story in which you go through the Harrowing is specific to the Mage class, because mages need to go through the Harrowing. You pick in gender->race->class->origin (story) order. Classes are race specific (well, only for dwarves there's the fact that they can't be mages), and origin stories are class (and race) specific. And I've been geeky enough for one day.

No it's not. The origin story in which you go through the Harrowing is specific to the Mage class, because mages need to go through the Harrowing. You pick in gender->race->class->origin (story) order. Classes are race specific (well, only for dwarves there's the fact that they can't be mages), and origin stories are class (and race) specific. And I've been geeky enough for one day.

Class and race doesn't have much to do with it. Mages are the only class that could be called class specific. All other origins are Race specific. Human noble, Dwarf Noble, Dwarf Commoner, Dalish Elf, City Elf. All of those can be either Warrior or Rogue.

Mages are restricted to one Origin only due to the world history. So it's more correct to just say that your start is dependant on your origin rather than race/class.

As I said, just a technicality however.

Regards,
SB

So it's more correct to just say that your start is dependant on your origin rather than race/class

No it's not. In you could be a warrior and get the mage origin story and start in the tower. Or you be a dalish that gets the human noble origin story. And even relaxing that, selecting the mage path funnels you along a precise path: it's the choice for a mage that takes you to the tower/harrowing/fade, and thus the correct formulation is that it's specific to the mage class. No other class can get there. Widening the argument, there are racially specific origin stories, so race selection would condition those. You can't be a human and choose the dwarven prince origin story. You're only looking at the bottom end of the dependence chain and IMHO that's incorrect.

Ha ha ha, I think the point is that there is more than intro scene to the game, so not everyone will have the same experience starting off.

I got the game a day after release (I pick it up with a PS3 Slim). Pretty good game in my opinion even with its framerate flaws (I have the PS3 version).

Its not a overwhelming game but is pretty immersive. I've got plans for UC2 and MW2 but D:O has allowed me to hold off those purchases because my gaming jones is pretty much being satisfied.

Its like a recipe with a splash of Baldur's Gate, a pinch of Mass Effect and a dash of Neverwinter's Night with a bit of KOTOR thrown in.

No it's not. In you could be a warrior and get the mage origin story and start in the tower. Or you be a dalish that gets the human noble origin story. And even relaxing that, selecting the mage path funnels you along a precise path: it's the choice for a mage that takes you to the tower/harrowing/fade, and thus the correct formulation is that it's specific to the mage class. No other class can get there. Widening the argument, there are racially specific origin stories, so race selection would condition those. You can't be a human and choose the dwarven prince origin story. You're only looking at the bottom end of the dependence chain and IMHO that's incorrect.

Again, nothing there disagree's with my assetion.

You cannot categorically state that your starting story is tied only to race or class.

Mage is the ONLY origin tied to class. And 2 races have access to it.

Human Noble, Dwarf Noble, Dwarf Commoner, Dalish Elf, and City Elf are each restricted to their race. But all of them are available to 2 classes.

I get the feeling we're basically arguing on differing definitions of the game thing. In the end, the only thing that determines your starting story/level is the Origin.

Which in this case was in response to

It's specific for Mages. So not a background, a class

The background is the origin. So it is due to the background. The fact that the background in this case is also only available to mages makes your first statement also true.

I was in disagreement that it was not due to the background/origin chosen.

I'll leave you with the last word if you wish, as we're getting into silly nitpicking details now. :)

Regards,
SB

Run very well on the 360, no frame rate problem, you have some pop-in issue in the background. And for textures quality, they 're globally the same, sometime PS3 have better texture for this armor, other time 360 have better texture for a other armor. So difficult to tell which version have the better texture.
It's clearly a game made on a engine not optimize for console, but some magic are well render on 360, the fire cone spell is really cool.
And one mistake made by many reviewers, consoles versions have a "pause" mode to give orders to companions. ;)

Run very well on the 360, no frame rate problem, you have some pop-in issue in the background. And for textures quality, they 're globally the same, sometime PS3 have better texture for this armor, other time 360 have better texture for a other armor. So difficult to tell which version have the better texture.
It's clearly a game made on a engine not optimize for console, but some magic are well render on 360, the fire cone spell is really cool.
And one mistake made by many reviewers, consoles versions have a "pause" mode to give orders to companions. ;)
Thanks for the insight, I'm looking toward for the 360 version :)
In regard to your last point it's pretty amazing that so many reviewers didn't noticed it... Eurogamer review got an update but it's clearthat the reveiwer's mind was already set. In regard to review I think that they should have test the consoles versions first or have the tests run by different persons.
I'll wait for the price to go down a bit before buying it and I also want to see what will be bioware politic in regard to patching on console.
There is something I can't help but call a stupid decision, it's the removal of the tactical view on consoles especcially as it's a late decision they demoed the console version this summer and the tactical views was still available.

Just to make sure I'm not missing something, you're referring to the radial menu brought up by the left trigger, right? I really wish it didn't "unpause" after issuing a single command. It would be nice to be able to queue them up as I'm told you can in the PC version. At least give the option of doing that. Or is there an option?

Ok, I'm 1 hour in and I'm stuck. I'm playing the human noble origin story and I just did a battle in the main hall. Now I'm suppose to go look for father in the pantry. However the door to get there is locked. And there doesn't seem to be any way to open it. I've already checked 2 guides on what to do and found no answer. Am I missing something that should be completely obvious, or is there something wrong with this game?

Edit: I did some more searching on this and it's a bug. Apparently Dragon Age has loads of bugs.

Just to make sure I'm not missing something, you're referring to the radial menu brought up by the left trigger, right? I really wish it didn't "unpause" after issuing a single command. It would be nice to be able to queue them up as I'm told you can in the PC version. At least give the option of doing that. Or is there an option?

You can give a specific order for each one, for this you have to change in the option the setting of radial menu. But some actions automatically past in "unpaused" like some powerfulls spells targeting many opposants, use of grenade, and trap use. And you can select target also for each one, by centering with the cercle or by using the BMD.

@Liolio: Yes, many reviewers past this function on consoles. That's made a long time I'm thinking that many reviewers only play 2-3 hours of the games in easy setting, read and copy Press Kit from Editor, now we have the name. ;)

You can give a specific order for each one, for this you have to change in the option the setting of radial menu. But some actions automatically past in "unpaused" like some powerfulls spells targeting many opposants, use of grenade, and trap use. And you can select target also for each one, by centering with the cercle or by using the BMD.

Thanks, I'll have to re-examine the options menu when I get home. That's what I get for reading the PC manual online, when it was available early, and skipping the console manual. :LOL:

Back