X06: Which Announcement Will Have the Greatest Impact?

What announcement at X06 will carry the most weight for MS?

• Creation of a close relationship with Peter Jackson.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Halo games, and lot's of 'em!

Votes: 37 44.0%
  • GTA IV exclusive content

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • PGR4 unveiling

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Banjo Kazooie

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Bioshock MS platform exclusive

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • Splinter Cell: DA exclusive

• HD-DVD@200; includes remote and film (King Kong)

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • Further build-out of Live Arcade

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • 'Live Anywhere' and its arrival

• Total voters
Robert I should just have defaulted a vote into the 'HD-DVD' column to account for your inevitable vote. :p

I agree though, better deal than expected.

I think the Halo games are the biggest thing from the conference. It's still MS' only really major IP and the milking strategy they've cottoned onto will pay dividends for them.

I think Sony torpedoed the HD-DVD add-on when sanity prevailed and HDMI was added to the previously gimped 20gb PS3 version.

I disagree. I think Bluray sounds cooler and people will buy into that! But if the number of titles and the sheer cost of HD-DVD stay below that of Blu ray and PS3 then it will be fine... HDMI is not THAT ubiquitous and component works just fine...

HDMI is not THAT ubiquitous and component works just fine...

depends on what kind of setup you have really. I'm pretty sure you cannot do 1080p over component, and I think component cannot carry lossless audio. If you have a 720p tv with a "regular" 5.1 surround sound I guess It will work fine for you. But if you have a 1080p setup with 7.1 sound, it might be a different story.

somebody correct me on that if im wrong though, im not 100% sure about the lossless audio part, because the hd-dvd drive is supposed to decode uncompressed audio and obviously theres no hdmi connection.

HD-DVD is such an obvious name, compraed to BluRay. You'll know it's like your existing DVD stuff, only in HD resolution, even if you're so naive about technical stuff that you use terms like 'CD disc'...

HD-DVD is such an obvious name, compraed to BluRay. You'll know it's like your existing DVD stuff, only in HD resolution, even if you're so naive about technical stuff that you use terms like 'CD disc'...

:?: What are trying to say here? Everyone's going to buy HD-DVD because of the name?

You know, I used to think exactly this... but now I'm not so sure. My girlfriend has seen some BD demos in stores, asked me what it is, and she's really zoned in on it; to the extent she remembers what 'Blu-ray' is, and memorizing technology branding generally isn't her thing. She's even keyed in on the fact tat PS3 will include it, which blows my mind.

I'm starting to have a view now that some bizarrely outlandish, futuristic sounding name like 'Blu-ray' may in fact be perceived by the general public as having the most to do with 'next' generation images once serious marketing begins. HD-DVD may in fact be burdened by it's ties to 'old,' existing - yet comfortable - technology.

I'll be interested to see how the market reacts come November/December.

depends on what kind of setup you have really. I'm pretty sure you cannot do 1080p over component, and I think component cannot carry lossless audio. If you have a 720p tv with a "regular" 5.1 surround sound I guess It will work fine for you. But if you have a 1080p setup with 7.1 sound, it might be a different story.

somebody correct me on that if im wrong though, im not 100% sure about the lossless audio part, because the hd-dvd drive is supposed to decode uncompressed audio and obviously theres no hdmi connection.

You need a receiver with HDMI 1.1 support to transport lossless audio. Without HDMI, they'll re-encode it as 1.5 Mb/s DTS over optical. Not something i'd be happy with but i doubt most people would be able to tell the difference or care.

I voted for the more liberal use of the Halo IP. I just hope they don't screw it up.

Personally, I think the biggest change was how much Vista was part of the presentation. I think MS is getting on the good side of PC developers more and more.

You need a receiver with HDMI 1.1 support to transport lossless audio. Without HDMI, they'll re-encode it as 1.5 Mb/s DTS over optical. Not something i'd be happy with but i doubt most people would be able to tell the difference or care.

I asked Amir on avsforum but he hasn't commented on anything of such. I'm very curious about the audio also. Since the 360 does support analog connections, perhaps a set of analog cables? Optical seems to be the logical choice but the advanced codecs can't be sent over it. Only analog or HDMI, unless something changes.......

Frankly, I hate to shatter some ego's but unless you have a mid to high end 5.1+ system, you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference in audio. Funny enough most people get a cheap HTIB and think it's the greatest thing ever. Ah......consumers..... :)

BB 1080p can and is being doen over component. Whats at issue is whether your display can accept 1080P over component or just HDMI....

The HD DVD for $199 + remote + King Kong is a great deal and much better than I expected. I'm impressed. For those who have seen HD DVD's in action, you'll know it's good stuff.

Yep that remote goes for $20 to $30 and HD-DVDs go for about $20 to $30. So we're getting the drive for around $150 or so. Pretty sweet deal. HD-DVD gets my vote.

Well, I have the LOTR RTS', so yeah. :cool:

I'm a big RTS fan in general (and I recommend Dawn of War to you all!)

I just have a hard time picturing them without keyboard and mouse; but if 360's the target platform, 360's the target platform.

The LOTR works ok, if it weren't for the framerate problems. Stuff like bookmarking troops is still far to cumbersome, and leads to less tactical battles. This genre can definately be done extremely well on a console though once it's refined.

I asked Amir on avsforum but he hasn't commented on anything of such. I'm very curious about the audio also. Since the 360 does support analog connections, perhaps a set of analog cables? Optical seems to be the logical choice but the advanced codecs can't be sent over it. Only analog or HDMI, unless something changes.......

IIRC, i dont think the current 360 connector has enough 'pins' remaining to add another 4 or 6 channels for analog.

I disagree. I think Bluray sounds cooler and people will buy into that! But if the number of titles and the sheer cost of HD-DVD stay below that of Blu ray and PS3 then it will be fine... HDMI is not THAT ubiquitous and component works just fine...

ICT. If someone tells you that you can't view your movies in HD anymore past ~2010-2011 that's a pretty big risk that any consumer will take seriously. Sadly, it's likely the momentum behind ICT implementation was probably strengthened when HDMI was added to PS3 (all Blu-Ray players are HDCP compliant now). You have also got the 1080p issue (1080i is the max that AACS allows over analogue) but that's pretty much irrelevant for the next couple of years till 1080p sets eventually stealth themselves to retail dominantion.

Scare tactics work and the TGS HDMI decision basically saved Sony from suffering from it. The fact that most people now want the 20gb version is a testament to this. At the same time it has completely torpedoed the HD-DVD add-on in my opinion, the $500 PS3 is now an immensely better deal than HD-DVD add-on plus 360 premium (no one buys core’s) all things considered for the discerning game and movie enthusiast.

Now if there’s a 360 price drop, it’s all change again.

ICT. If someone tells you that you can't view your movies in HD anymore past ~2010-2011 that's a pretty big risk that any consumer will take seriously. Sadly, it's likely the momentum behind ICT implementation was probably strengthened when HDMI was added to PS3 (all Blu-Ray players are HDCP compliant now). You have also got the 1080p issue (1080i is the max that AACS allows over analogue) but that's pretty much irrelevant for the next couple of years till 1080p sets eventually stealth themselves to retail dominantion.

By 2011 BR/HDDVD players should be like $50, so not really a big deal imo.

Back