WTH people!? (reputation)

Zaphod said:
Objective? Surely you jest. Camp warfare, tit for tat, mee too-ing, camaraderie, in-jokes, and personal animosities are way more likely.

Sounds like most elections, yet it is what we have.

Fair enough, I guess. But if the fact that the system will fall pray to the fallacies of man isn't enough, then, how about the blatant IHV bias displayed by it's current implementation? I mean look at it: The 'good dots' beeing the green dots, and the 'red dots' beeing the bad dots?! Puhlease...

:mrgreen:

Zaphod said:
Fair enough, I guess. But if the fact that the system will fall pray to the fallacies of man isn't enough, then, how about the blatant IHV bias displayed by it's current implementation? I mean look at it: The 'good dots' beeing the green dots, and the 'red dots' beeing the bad dots?! Puhlease...

:mrgreen:

Digi's heart must be broken.... ;)

Shogun said:
Apparently I have ten points.
Is this the number we start with?
Do I win a pony if I get to a hundred?

Yes, 10 points should be the default rep levels. Rep would be more useful if it was tied more to the post and not so much the poster.

It's rather interesting from a social aspect. Of the sites I run, the one rarely uses it except to denote those absolutely exceptional posts/posters. On the other site, everyone treats it like their playing a MMO where rep is your livelyhood. I much prefer the system to be used as the former and quite dislike the latter.

For my sites, it's only semi-useful to the mods/admin. Though it serves more as a quick indicator if the forum regulars like/dislike someone's posting style. Aside from that, it mostly causes ranting and venting between those involved -- but hey, that's what the one site is designed for.

Sage said:
boooo! you get bad rep for not listening! how many times i have posted i DIDNT give her any money!

Now if she gave you money, I'd give you some rep...

geo said:
I understand the green ones and the red ones. . .but what are the blue/gray ones?

Blue/Grey is neutral and likely occurs when people try to influence your rep but do not have enough rep power to do so.

BRiT said:
Blue/Grey is neutral and likely occurs when people try to influence your rep but do not have enough rep power to do so.
I don't think so, when I try and give rep to a post I like it tells me I have to spread some more rep around first before I give anymore to that person....it doesn't offer me the option to leave a non-positive/negative comment. :?

digitalwanderer said:
I don't think so, when I try and give rep to a post I like it tells me I have to spread some more rep around first before I give anymore to that person....it doesn't offer me the option to leave a non-positive/negative comment. :?

I think he's trying to say that people with no rep (0 points or around that figure) or maybe people who haven't given away enough rep can only give neutral rep (grey/blue-ish or whatever colour that thing is), whether you approve or disapprove. Your problem is another one. When you give someone rep, you need to spread more rep before you can give that same person rep again. I've been trying to give Sage rep for ages now but i still have to give away more rep before i can! :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
digitalwanderer said:

hmmm can you give rep comment without hitting "approve" or "dissapprove"? :?:

digitalwanderer said:
No. That's another 'failsafe' altogether. It's designed to prevent you (read: anyone) from tanking another members reputation all by yourself.

For both positive and negative reputation given, the amount of awarded/deducted points is controlled by the 'Reputation Power' of the one who agreed or disagreed with the post. The reputation power, i.e. how much your opinion count toward someone else's reputation, is linked to post count, membership time and your own reputation points. Some may not have sufficient 'power' to influence others. I think the board administrator may tweak this formula as well as set old reputation to 'time out' over time.

It's also up to the administrator what level of the reputation information should be publicly displayed, or even given to the person receiving it (some with hacks/mods). As of now it seems that it's relatively anonymous, but it could, for example, show who've agreed or disagreed to each particular post, along with those users reputation modifiers. Of course Dave will know, though.

So the grey boxes are probably ones where I got an equal number of positve and negative posts, basically cancelling each other out....at least I think that's what you're saying.

No. I'm saying that they probably have zero reputation power. Not been members long enough, have too few posts, not enough reputation themselves and so on. This is in part to give an incentive to have a high reputation. What good is it if it doesn't count for more than anyone else’s opinion, right? ;) And it's in part to prevent people to dummy up an account just to give bad rep. Somesite.com may, for example, have set this to being a member for at least two months, having at least 20 posts for any reputation given to count at all. After this your 'power' would rise as you post more, stay a member for longer, and your own reputation rise.

Look at it like this: If you and I was to give each other bad rep right now it would, unless Dave have consciously tweaked the settings, hurt me much more than it would hurt you. Edit: I say probably because Dave have chosen not to display the 'reputation power' modifiers, but it's a reasonably safe bet to assume that yours will be (significantly) higher than mine.

Another edit:
Yep. As I suspected. PHEAR Teh Digi! If both him and L-B decided not to like someone; an unsuspecting member might suddenly find themselves so far down the red that it'd almost take an act of Go^H^HDave to bring them back up. :oops:

Zaphod said:
Another edit:
Yep. As I suspected. PHEAR Teh Digi! If both him and L-B decided not to like someone; an unsuspecting member might suddenly find themselves so far down the red that it'd almost take an act of Go^H^HDave to bring them back up. :oops:

so its linked to post count also? hmmmm...i'll need another pair of hands to even try to stay close with digi's skills of posting....

Zaphod said:
Another edit:

NICE!! All this work, at last!! I feel like i'm appreciated more!!

Oooh so that's why.... oooh...

now we all gonna live in fear.... digi and LB with godlike powers?!? :oops:

/me runs to give them pos rep, just in case ;)

silence said:
so its linked to post count also? hmmmm...i'll need another pair of hands to even try to stay close with digi's skills of posting....
Yes. You get a +/- 1 modifier as soon as some minimum criteria are met. After that I think the defaults are +1 per 1000 posts, +1 per year of membership, and +1 per level of reputation gained.

For digi this give us:
Code:
Base lavel power:                 +  1
14,143 posts:                     + 14
Length of membership              +  3
beeing famous soon enough         +  1
--------------------------------------
Total Reputation Power              19
I say again: PHEAR The Digi. Mere mortals don't stand a chance against someone wielding the Red Reputation Herring of Doom +19. Apparently he's not afraid to use it... :LOL:

Zaphod said:
Yes. You get a +/- 1 modifier as soon as some minimum criteria are met. After that I think the defaults are +1 per 1000 posts, +1 per year of membership, and +1 per level of reputation gained.

For digi this give us:
Code:
Base lavel power:                 +  1
14,143 posts:                     + 14
Length of membership              +  3
beeing famous soon enough         +  1
--------------------------------------
Total Reputation Power              19
I say again: PHEAR The Digi. Mere mortals don't stand a chance against someone wielding the Red Reputation Herring of Doom +19. Apparently he's not afraid to use it... :LOL:

SUPER LOL!!!!!!!!

that's why those..err.. few i gave a bad rep are all in the red!!! :devilish:

...POWER.... ME LIKES DA POWAH!!!

Silence it's late, i gave u good rep some time ago.

Right, REP WHORING OPENS TODAY! IF YOU WANT TO GO UP, BRIBE ME AND DIG!! :devilish:

Back