WTH people!? (reputation)

Zaphod said:
De nada. Anyways: You could always 'rep' silence, or whoever, to answer that (his) question as I obviously can't see the same things that you as a Senior Member can.
yep, ive been giving rep to a few people even after i disabled mine. You just got some good rep from me for you post above, a few minutes ago. :)

epicstruggle said:
yep, ive been giving rep to a few people even after i disabled mine. You just got some good rep from me for you post above, a few minutes ago. :)
Right. That's some very gray rep rigt there. I guess you'll have to actually comment in a positive way for it to make any sense with yours diabeled normally. But as the negative rep seems to be hacked away, then any rep in anyones CP (gray or green) would inply that someone agreed with what you had to say. If anything this could be good to cut down 'me too' postings, but B3D haven't been bothered much by this in the first place, and there's always PM.

Edit: Not sure if the board keeps track of reputation retroactively. I.e. if you were to reenable reputation, then would your 'repping' while it was disabeled count again. Or if someone with no (or low) rep power will have their old entries adjusted as their 'power' grow.

Last edited by a moderator:
silence said:
with so many people disabling it.... its kinda useless anyway....
i think it should work for all or for none....
get rid of it i say. It seves no useful purpose at all.

epic

When you disable rep, it doesn't actually disable it. It just doesn't display your rep in your posts. From the control panel:

Your current reputation level is displayed to other users whenever you post a message. If you would like to hide your reputation, disable this option.

So it doesn't seem that "disabling" rep actually stops you from getting and giving rep if you are eligible in the first place, just hides it from others.

epicstruggle said:
get rid of it i say. It seves no useful purpose at all.

epic

why not? it was screwed when it was annonymus, but now that you can see who posted, people wont be on "neg sprees" anymore.... and if someone really makes bad posts and is annoyance, rep system is good, cause it shows him that he needs to change.

my problem was that you couldnt see who gave you rep... now that i can see i think system could work to improve B3D.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
So it doesn't seem that "disabling" rep actually stops you from getting and giving rep if you are eligible in the first place, just hides it from others.
Yes. But it, as I originally said, and as evidenced by epicstruggle giving my post positive yet non altering reputation, sets the 'rep power' of the person having it disabled to zero.

Whether the reputation is calculated at the time it is given (absolute) or at the time it is displayed (retroactive and relative) I'm still not sure.

silence said:
my problem was that you couldnt see who gave you rep... now that i can see i think system could work to improve B3D.
'I' as in 'you' specifically, yes. However: Only the aforementioned 108 Senior Members (+ Moderators and Site Staff, I'm sure) can.

Zaphod said:
'I' as in 'you' specifically, yes. However: Only the aforementioned 108 Senior Members (+ Moderators and Site Staff, I'm sure) can.

well, non Senior Member cant influence rep of Seniors, so thats also no biggie....

silence said:
can those with disabled rep give rep to others?
Yes, but only the comments count...you don't affect the persons rep positive or negative and they have no clue which way you chose unless you tell 'em.

silence said:
well, non Senior Member cant influence rep of Seniors, so thats also no biggie....
Really? Are you sure?That's a... uhm... strange decision. That some will have (often drastically) lower 'rep power' than others in inherit to the system, and you could make it so that you have to be senior to get even a single point of power (the minimum criteria could be the same) but this seems like an odd choice of settings that'll only further the uselessness of the whole system. A couple of seniors wielding lots and lots of rep power would, in effect, be the only ones using it. With settings like this normal members couldn't even influence normal members.

Edit: Right. Can still give positive reputation.

digitalwanderer said:
you don't affect the persons rep positive or negative and they have no clue which way you chose unless you tell 'em.
So can you (read: Senior Members) still give negative rep (members can't)? If so, with everyone that that has disabeled reputation you're en an 'elite' group of about 40 people. Kind'a takes the fun out of it don't you think?

Edit: Dave's post answered it. Last point still stands, though.

Zaphod said:
If so, with everyone that that has disabeled reputation you're en an 'elite' group of about 40 people. Kind'a takes the fun out of it don't you think?
I don't think you can give ANY kind of rep points if you disable your rep feature, you're kind of like a spectator then just sending ghost rep points that mean nothing.

I think, I'm not sure...I haven't given nearly as much negative rep as I have positive. :oops:

digitalwanderer said:
I don't think you can give ANY kind of rep points if you disable your rep feature, you're kind of like a spectator then just sending ghost rep points that mean nothing.

I think, I'm not sure...I haven't given nearly as much negative rep as I have positive. :oops:
Well yes. That was my point. Unless the points are calculated retroactively at dsiplay time the Senoir Members opting out means that there are an extremely small number of people who's rep matter at all. These people can effectively demote anyone they like, without abusing the system, and without anyone else to bring them back up again.

I don't actually see how it served B3D to have a system in place that will put people like me as 'reputable'. If not post-count-padding to get more reputation power, I wouldn't be surprised to see this behaviour just to get up to Seinor Member jsut to disable it.

My rep got turned off, and I didn't do it. Happened to notice the conversation here, and turned it back on. So if there is a high opt-out right now it might be inadvertent (it was for me).

Zaphod said:
Well yes. That was my point. Unless the points are calculated retroactively at dsiplay time the Senoir Members opting out means that there are an extremely small number of people who's rep matter at all. These people can effectively demote anyone they like, without abusing the system, and without anyone else to bring them back up again.

I don't actually see how it served B3D to have a system in place that will put people like me as 'reputable'. If not post-count-padding to get more reputation power, I wouldn't be surprised to see this behaviour just to get up to Seinor Member jsut to disable it.

thats why we should either have it on, or off.... no option for disabling it.
IMO, that will lead to too much confusion. and abuse.

putting name by rep in your CP is best way to go, so people dont go on "venagence sprees" giving annonymus negs...

Back