Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
When "System and compressed memory" process only eat very little RAM (12th from bottom), why windows 10 slows down to snail speed?

View attachment 1420

You should also sort via CPU load. I've had errant web pages induce abnormally high CPU loads which can have a significant impact on other running processes (especially games but occasionally even Windows Explorer or other browser tabs). Same applies for some not well coded applications (which I'll then stop using and uninstall).

Occasionally I'll see very high CPU load on one of the Windows Service Host processes, but that doesn't appear to impact responsiveness within other applications (especially games). I'm guessing in that case Windows automatically releases as much as is needed for the other applications and then resumes doing whatever it is doing whenever overall load on the PC goes down again.

Regards,
SB

@Silent_Buddha
the CPU all low, that's why i didn't screenshot it.

@Grall
dunno how much free RAM. My pc have 8 GB physical RAM and 13 GB virtual memory/pagefile. now increased to 32GB and it hasn't slows down to a crawl.

about chrome... i have lots of tab opened so its normal for chrome to have ridiculous amount of process. It put each tab on a seperate process :/

EDIT:

yup, windows now run just fine. Even when i'm also running Witcher 3.

so it was starving for memory haha. thank you pagefile :D

dunno how much free RAM.
Resource monitor can tell you this. You open it via a button in the task manager (or the command line too I suppose.)

Heck, task manager might be able to tell you free RAM as well, I haven't checked that closely. My current rig has 16GB and I've only ever used up half of it at most I think :p

My Macbook has 8GB and with many tabs in Safari I've consumed enough RAM (and also CPU, since the stupid browser doesn't pause invisible tabs) to make Safari start acting really really oddly. Blah, I wish Apple would fix their shit, but they're too busy rolling in money to do that... :LOL:

Well I really give up on this sound thing.
Its not the Fast Startup, it happened again after disabling that, happened from Sleep too rather than Hybernate/Reboot, tried a Logout/Login without success, I don't see anything obvious in the events.
I think its some kind of random chance on coming out of suspend whether it works or not.

@orangpelupa I've recently started using The Great Suspender addon for Chrome, dumps unread pages out of RAM after a certain timeout & has dramatically improved my Chrome RAM usage.
Apparently the Chrome devs have a similar thing 'discards' in the works, there is a Flag you can enable but is currently disabled by default, haven't tried it myself.

On topic of Win 10: apparently the big Anniversary update is due out end of July/early August.

New feature: unlocking your Win10 PC from your Win10 phone via biometrics? Could be interesting. The Windows Hello function on my 950XL is pretty limited in real life usage though, not sure this is as cool as it could be.

New feature: unlocking your Win10 PC from your Win10 phone via biometrics? Could be interesting. The Windows Hello function on my 950XL is pretty limited in real life usage though, not sure this is as cool as it could be.

I'm surprised they aren't doing something along those lines with the Microsoft Band. Or are they? I haven't really been keeping track of changes and updates that are coming to Win 10.

Regards,
SB

The Microsoft Band was also used as an example "unlocking mechanism" without really stating the intracacies of "how." :)

Unlocking your Win10 PC with your Win10 phone could have been interesting, had MS not pretty much killed off Win10 on phones just a month or so ago...

If you decide to be a hardware company then you gotta stick with it, Microsoft, and not throw your hands up in frustration and quit at the sign of first trouble. :p

(Ok, they did that more like at the sixth or seventh sign of trouble, but still... Principle holds true. ;))

What did MS kill? I read about removing/cancelling the feature to reply to SMS from a Windows 10 desktop.
Instead they will bring SMS to Skype (why??)
So they want to bait you into using Skype, but to be logged in all the time and mix up phone and Skype contacts.. No thanks?

Microsoft nuked their consumer phones out of low earth orbit a few weeks / months ago. The statement had some pointed language leaving room to talk about "enterprise phones", potentially the rumored Surface Phone which has yet to materialize could still be in the works. The three Win10 phones currently available are the last ones they intend to make for the consumer market.

I hadn't read the text message thing getting crammed into Skype; that's a bullshit decision IMO. I hate Skype trying to integrate all my contacts; I absolutely despise the stupid pile of people in my Skype list who I will never, ever skype with. You know, like the Delta Airlines, American Airlines and SouthWest Airlines Autonotifier Services which I've added to my contacts so I know which five digit random ID is sending me flight details?

Bastards.

I hadn't read the text message thing getting crammed into Skype; that's a bullshit decision IMO. I hate Skype trying to integrate all my contacts; I absolutely despise the stupid pile of people in my Skype list who I will never, ever skype with. You know, like the Delta Airlines, American Airlines and SouthWest Airlines Autonotifier Services which I've added to my contacts so I know which five digit random ID is sending me flight details?

Bastards.

Hmmm, Skype hasn't done that to me yet. Is that an option you enable somewhere? Not that I'd want to enable it. But I'm curious.

Regards,
SB

Microsoft nuked their consumer phones out of low earth orbit a few weeks / months ago. The statement had some pointed language leaving room to talk about "enterprise phones", potentially the rumored Surface Phone which has yet to materialize could still be in the works. The three Win10 phones currently available are the last ones they intend to make for the consumer market.

Bastards.
yes, I think their next phones might be made for companies, not actual users. Although I can see a market if they used a x86 phone instead of arm cores, and transforming your phones into a PC somehow.

I am not into Skype much, always preferred Messenger and always will

I preferred when Messenger meant MSN Messenger :)
No cloud and phone contacts bullshits, just IM contacts and an extensive choice of software clients (proprietary, web and open source)

Hmmm, Skype hasn't done that to me yet. Is that an option you enable somewhere? Not that I'd want to enable it. But I'm curious.

Regards,
SB
Might be a WP10 phone thing. It's avoidable by simply leveraging the Favorites menu and pinning the folks you skype with there. But the whole concept of "skype contacts" is now gone and instead it shows ALL CONTACTS on your phone. People with email addresses only, people with phone numbers only, it's absurd.

I read only good things about Blackberry Hub, which mashes up all kinds of comms there (email, SMS, other kinds of messages etc.). But I have no real idea how it actually works.
Also, MS had tried to copy some iMessage thing that works between iOS and OSX, which they've justed cancelled or shifted to something else (Skype).
So likely they run from experiment to experiment. Google does nasty things too (discontinuing Google Talk, Google Reader?)
Even Blackberry is discontinuing Blackberry these days (they'll sell Android with a Hub app and whatever)

Everything just gets more and more complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back