Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
SAlgZMs.jpg

Thanks Dav, but as mentioned, clock remains silly high even if Chrome isn't even running. Something's fishy with win10 in combination with my motherboard.

Maybe it's worth looking for an updated UEFI. I think mine's fairly recent (IE, released inside win10 beta period at least), but I'm not 100% sure. *shrug*

I have problems with win10 and UEFI mode on my old P8Z68 board. From what I gather, ASUS never ironed out the quirks with the firmware for this board. Sometimes it freezes when going to sleep, for example. I just use BIOS mode instead.

I don't think my board even has a BIOS mode. AFAIK it's UEFI all the way. I've certainly never seen anything in the menus to suggest I could boot it into BIOS mode, and even if there was I don't think I would. UEFI is the future.

Anyhow, by Cannondale I'll retire this rig. It's just another year and a half or so. Unless there's more delays, of course... ;)

My ASUS Z68 and ASRock Z77 boards switch to UEFI mode based on what is chosen in the boot menu. On some Haswell / Skylake systems, I've seen it controlled within the BIOS by enabling Legacy mode and/or CSM (compatibility support mode). I need to run my work Haswell machine in Legacy mode because I have a Radeon 6970 in it that lacks UEFI support.

Frankly I can't tell the difference between UEFI and Legacy aside from the use of GPT vs. MBR on Windows install. And that the Z68 board locks up on sleep half the time with UEFI. A friend's old HM55-based notebook gets BSODs caused by the NIC chip on Windows 10 startup if it's in UEFI mode. Some systems lack features in UEFI mode. I've seen people bitching about missing Intel Smart Response / RAID options when in UEFI mode, for example.

The usual joys of new tech.

Last edited:
Only if they're equipped with their own boot ROMs I'd presume (like video cards and some RAID/networking controllers and whatnot.)

Your soundcard should be fine. Not that I understand why you still want to use an x-fi. Are shitty EAX reverb effects really worth that much to you? :p

I have an X-Fi Ti. It's mostly nice for the headphone downmix for games and clean output.

Hhhahahahahhahaa.... It has begun!

I was wondering how long it would take for people to start suing MS for them stupidly upgrading peoples' computers without asking first.

The sad part is that the lawsuit and her claims are pure bullcrap.
Yes, what she described could have happened - this spring when Win10 was made "recommended update". She claims it happened pretty much right after Win10 was released, and at the time it did not install without users consent. First you had to reserve your upgrade, and then you had to agree to it one more time before the upgrade actually happened.

The sad part is that the lawsuit and her claims are pure bullcrap.
Yes, what she described could have happened - this spring when Win10 was made "recommended update". She claims it happened pretty much right after Win10 was released, and at the time it did not install without users consent. First you had to reserve your upgrade, and then you had to agree to it one more time before the upgrade actually happened.

You should know by now that the Truth has little bearing in most lawsuits. What matters most is how good your lawyer is and how much bad PR you can generate against a company so that it feels compelled to pay you whether you are right or wrong. And in this case 10,000 USD to get her to shut up probably seemed like bargain versus going to court (hundreds of thousands of dollars in lawyer's fees and court fees).

And if you noticed from the article.

Microsoft said it had dropped its appeal to save on legal costs.

In most cases, it isn't about right or wrong. But how expensive it is to prove if you're right or wrong combined with the bad publicity regardless of whether you (as a defending business) are right or wrong.

If the person had been asking for and/or awarded a significantly larger sum of money (say 10 million USD) then Microsoft likely would have fought it to the end. But 10,000 USD? Just pay her and get it out of the news ASAP.

Regards,
SB

I have a new plan as such :

- Move over to the US
- Order coffee at as many drive-in I can find (paid with cash)
- Every time, test it with an infrared thermoter or something
- Spill myself and get third degree burns
- Become a jillionaire and do whatever the hell I want!

Are the reports of forced updates a complete fabrication then, or did it really happen to some people?

The update has never been forced. For a period of time, what was happening is that you'd get a Window letting you know there was an update to Windows 10. You had the option to click to cancel. However, the default behavior if you just closed the window (instead of clicking to cancel) was that it would default to installing the update versus cancelling the update or at least prompting to see if you really wanted to close the window. That was counter-intuitive since closing a Window generally counts as not click on yes/proceed/etc. Although this isn't the only case I've run into where this happens (by other software vendors and/or websites in the past).

That has since been changed.

Regards,
SB

Okay. that can probably be argued as 'forced', or certainly surreptiously installed. Users would be right to expect a close action to result in a cancellation as that's normal behaviour, and it's a bit sneaky to change that behaviour. I mean, it could be sneaky. Maybe it was a design accident? But whatever, people were getting Win 10 updates when not expecting to having not given their express permission, with MS using their implied permission as the go-ahead signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back