Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by Scott_Arm, Oct 1, 2014.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lightman

Veteran Subscriber

Windows Home edition had this update 'forced' first and you were presented only with two options - install now or defer installation till ...
    I had several people calling me and saying their computers upgraded to Windows 10 overnight without warning.

2. Sinistar

Sinistar I LIVE
    Regular Subscriber

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology

"The new experience has clearer options to upgrade now, choose a time, or decline the free offer," said Terry Myerson, executive vice president, Windows and Devices Group, in an emailed statement.

"If the red-x is selected on this new dialog, it will dismiss the dialog box and we will notify the device again in a few days.

Lightman likes this.
  3. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Well, they sure got their money's worth out of the shitty current behavior of the installer - there's only a month left of the free upgrade/downgrade/whateveryouwannacallit offer...

4. hoom

Veteran

I am going completely spare over intermittent crackling issues I'm getting with my Logitec G930 lately :yelling:
    Sometimes works completely fine, othertimes whenever I try to have like a couple of videos going simultaneously/run 3D it gets all stuttery/crackly.

Can take several days of uninstalling/messing with stuff before it works properly again, then a few days later it does the same shit again :mad2:
    It wouldn't be so bad if I could actually find a clear cut method to get it back working again when it screws up but I haven't been able to figure it out yet.

5. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Admittedly my SP4 is one device and maybe a buggy one rather than Win10, but it definitely crap. Was streaming TV, then switched off. Turn on the power to the charger and the tablet turns itself on looking for someone to log in. The streaming picks up in the background, behind the login page. Then next time I'm out with it, I swtich on the tablet and have streaming in the background behind the login page. No way to disable it other than loging in.

Then the headphone port is buggy. Plug in headphones, sound continues out the speakers. Have to restart device. And there's a lot of that. The device is very old-school, pre Windows 7 Windows. Lots of turning crap and needing to be reset.

I've got a Win7 VM ready so will look to 'upgrade' main PC to Win 10 for free, and fall back to Win 7 if it's poop on the desktop.

6. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

You should find the desktop experience much better I hope. We've been using it from day one, so about a year now, and quite happy so far.

7. hoom

Veteran

WTF and today its perfectly fine after hibernating overnight...

8. hoom

Veteran

I may have worked out a pattern: it happens if I get a PC freeze, if I hot reboot it fubars, if I then hybernate it goes OK.

This is possibly related to the thing where turning off doesn't actually necessarily actually start a new Windows session, but allows crashed/glitched stuff to remain in that state?

#1728 hoom, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  9. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

check the Event Log (start, event viewer). It is really detailed
    look for red and yellow stuff.

you also can do powercfg report for lastwake etc (but i forgot the command).

10. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I was having the same issues with my X-Fi in Windows 10, never happened with all my previous Windows versions. I ended up turning down all inputs/levels in the adapter properties in Sound to zero (apart from main output level ofc) and haven't had it since.

11. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Disable the fast startup thing in windows power settings (I believe it was); that way you should get a 'clean' windows session when you restart your PC.

Win10 boots so fast as it is that you don't need this setting. Especially with SSD as your boot device.

12. orangpelupa

Legend Veteran

But fast startup is always disabled for "restart".

Grall and BRiT like this.
  13. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

Log out and log back in is something I'd be interested in trying, when you log in to the local desktop a whole sequence of events is triggered and a small universe exists in user space.
    That's especially true in linux where your graphical user session can get completely fubared and in various states of unusable, but otherwise the OS is perfectly running. (the other day in the beginnings of getting a new graphics card to run, the display server crashed and took keyboard/mouse input down with it. The PC was totally unusable from the desk but still worked, it would have been recoverable by remote login from a networked PC or a serial console etc., but I had to hit reset. The second time, it still even clearly played the video it was playing, with normal soundtrack output, just the display and keyboard were dead. Windows 7/8/10 would have recovered thanks to its ability to plug in and out the video driver.)

I wish Windows were more like linux regarding multi-user licensing. Include Terminal Server in the base edition, let me log in 5 times not just 1 time. Graphics card dead, sound crashing left and right but the PC's still on? No pb, you can carry on until all the network cards are dead or the boot drive is dead. Well, even if the boot drive is dead the PC might boot (in theory, with a bit of infrastructure) the latest backup from network.
    Sorry for ramblings. Windows is likely the most reliable desktop OS (mostly due to vendors writing their main, best or only drivers for it, and to some very advanced graphics systems), but a bit lacking in extreme means of beating it into submission.

14. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

I know that Microsoft has already built a modern OpenSSH service for Windows 10, although it's still a beta product. The source and compiled binaries are available in the PowerShell Github. The stated goal is to have the SSH service fully integrated into the OS in a future release. At which point, you could use SSH as your logon session even if one or more of the KVM portion(s) have died.

Not precisely what you're asking for perhaps, but still useful for certain things.

15. Silent_Buddha

Legend

I've done that to fix the occasional odd issue that used to pop up in Vista/7 and now 8.1. Things like sound getting disabled after the computer hasn't been rebooted for a month or two (doesn't always happen, it's pretty rare), for instance.

Regards,
    SB

16. orangpelupa

Legend Veteran

wow looking at this thread make me think i was rather lucky with my PC.

17. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

You only get the complaints in here ;) it has been amazingly stable for a first year product if you ask me :p

orangpelupa likes this.
  18. orangpelupa

Legend Veteran

When "System and compressed memory" process only eat very little RAM (12th from bottom), why windows 10 slows down to snail speed?

2016-07-02.png

19. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Your 3rd process down. Uninstall it completely.

Malo and Grall like this.
  20. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

No idea, but that's a crapload of chrome processes...

How much free RAM do you actually have? Maybe your PC is busy paging its butt off because Chrome ate it all.

BRiT likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.