Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is on win 7 I assume win10 behaves the same
I decided to give that a go picked a game at random Hard Reset
typed in Hard Reset

that folder is the savegame folder in my documents not the game folder in J:\Games\Hard Reset
Is the game actually installed as a program or does it just exist there?

Win10 gives better search results, and will always show apps first, and then docs, then web results etc

hmm? i did that too on tablet

much faster to just press start then press the bar then type
That for me means pressing the sarch bar, then pressing the keyboard icon, then typing. On Windows 7, almost every app I want to use in the list as the most recently used app. So it's way slower to use Win10 at the moment.

How many apps do you need to use? I have all my main apps on my taskbar anyway.

Is the game actually installed as a program or does it just exist there?
My fault still havnt put all my game shortcuts into the startmenu after a reinstall. When I put the hard reset shortcut in the startmenu it worked

Not apps but games games I'm guessing about 600

Just a dozen tops. I don't open them all at once. To be fair, I see there is a 'most used' list at the top of the start menu. For some reason these are presently set to apps I've never used like Calculator and Alarm and Clocks, but I'm sure it'll realise eventually that the apps I actually use should be in the Most Used list...

Whoah, pigs fly indeed!

Well, this could make Windows 10 more attractive to developers, while establishing the operating system as one that is open and friendly -- no longer closed and dreary.
Lol, yeah, right up until MS ends the free updates and forces everyone to buy a subscription to keep using their own PCs... ;)

I'm not sure what to say, except "Whoa." The whole Linux-on-Windows claim in the article is still premature IMO, but now I'm very curious...

Whoah, pigs fly indeed!

Lol, yeah, right up until MS ends the free updates and forces everyone to buy a subscription to keep using their own PCs... ;)
I'm not sure what to say, except "Whoa." The whole Linux-on-Windows claim in the article is still premature IMO, but now I'm very curious...
things have changed under Nadella's leadership, fortunately. Back in 2012 Microsoft was one of the main Linux contributors that year -they aren't in the list now, but the job got done then, contributing with open code-, Visual Basic .NET is open code now and even got his own page on GitHub, something impossible before..

I am currently using bash a lot and learning Linux with a teacher who is a Linux junkie -though he likes Windows 10- , and I can see how useful it can be, especially for programmers, so that integration is welcome. It's bash, it's apt-get and Linux binaries..that's good news for the PC.

One can see good times for the PC ahead. Microsoft are applauding with their ears

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm one of the resident Windows fanboys but I absolutely have no hate for *nix. And yeah, Microsoft has been doing far better things with their time in recent years, at least in terms of open code and interoperability across platforms. Hell, just look how far the Office suite has come in the last three years.

Did you guys see Docker (Service Fabric) is now 100% supported + legit in both Azure cloud and on-prem effective today? Hell. Yes.

Do we get "bash + gnu unix utils for windows" or is it really just bash running windows console programs?
And what does "ubuntu binaries" really mean? If they mention a "full ubuntu environment on windows" then it sounds like windows 10 will have a full linux distro built in.

Do we get "bash + gnu unix utils for windows" or is it really just bash running windows console programs?
And what does "ubuntu binaries" really mean? If they mention a "full ubuntu environment on windows" then it sounds like windows 10 will have a full linux distro built in.
Only one way to find out...

:{: |:&};:;

(ugh, had to put a space in to avoid the stupid emoticon )

Hmmmm, I wonder what they are actually doing. That second link mentions that it isn't running in a VM. So Bash on Ubuntu is a native Windows app able to run native Linux binaries on Windows as if they were Windows binaries? I'm not sure what's going on. :p

Regards,
SB

Hmmmm, I wonder what they are actually doing. That second link mentions that it isn't running in a VM. So Bash on Ubuntu is a native Windows app able to run native Linux binaries on Windows as if they were Windows binaries? I'm not sure what's going on. :p

Regards,
SB

They implimented a shunting layer that provides all the Linux APIs for Ubuntu so it is able to run native Linux Ubuntu executables. This isnt that different from their POSIX layer they had ages ago.

There is more solid details about this out there, I just cant recall the link to where I read up on it.

Couldnt find the place I originally read it, but Ars has some blurbs on it too.

http://arstechnica.com/information-...-and-linux-command-line-coming-to-windows-10/

We're still trying to get the inside story on what Microsoft has done here, but what we've known for several months now is that the company has developed some Windows kernel components (lxcore.sys, lxss.sys, presumably standing for "Linux core" and "Linux subsystem," respectively) that support the major Linux kernel APIs. These components are not GPLed and do not appear to contain Linux code themselves; instead, they implement the Linux kernel API using the native Windows NT API that the Windows kernel provides. Microsoft is calling this the "Windows Subsystem for Linux" (WSL).

This is far from the first time that Windows has been able to masquerade as a Unix-like operating system. From its inception, Windows NT included something called the POSIX subsystem, offering an environment minimally supporting the standardized version of the Unix APIs. A third-party offering called Interix greatly extended this with a wide range of common Unix command-line tools. Microsoft bought Interix, rebranding it first as Services For Unix (SFU) and then Subsystem for Unix Applications (SUA). In one way or another, this Unix-like mode was supported up until Windows 8; Windows 8.1 removed it.

Surely MS can afford Hi DPI monitors to test stuff on. Another Issue, since the last couple of days my cursor (arrow,hand etc) are about 3mm wide, i.e. super tiny. Though if I have the arrow with waiting cursor thats shown normalsize (i.e. 10x the size, no exaggeration). Why the continuous issues with high DPI?

I'm also starting to wonder why we even want such graphics to be bitmapped rather than vector based? The kind of thing we do with Emoji (which is font-based) would be a huge improvement and a lot more future proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back