Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not entirely within the control of Windows. I have a USB drive hooked up to my system 24/7. The external HDD will go to sleep relatively quickly and stay asleep until I wake it. I used to have another one that would randomly wake up (can't remember the make). My current external is one of the Hitachi Touro external drives.

Unless you have something accessing the HDD regularly Windows shouldn't be waking it up once it goes to sleep. Although if Windows is set to backup the contents of the drive or set to backup contents on your computer to the drive it'll wake it up at the scheduled time.

It might also be possible for Windows to wake it up occasionally, if for some reason you have Windows set to index your external USB drive (it shouldn't do that by default).

Regards,
SB

I forgot Emby server is probably checking the hdd for new content pretty frequently hehe.

I did some ghetto modding, removed the vertical stand and put a thick glove between the floor and the casing to absorb vibrations. Looks like it worked because I couldn't really hear the drive spinning when sleeping last night.

It's not a bug, but rather a design choice (don't fucking ask me why anyone would design something stupid as that, but you know, Microsoft...), and no, they increased it to something fairly larger. I'm not sure how big, but thousands of entries anyway.

More than you'd want to scroll through in that stupid non-hierarchical win10 start menu, that's for sure. :)

More than you'd want to scroll through in that stupid non-hierarchical win10 start menu, that's for sure. :)

Since on Windows 10, I have never used the start menu after the first few days.

Super confusing lol. How the heck are you supposed to find your stuff? It's super loooooooooooooooooooong

Can you not organise the start list with subfolders?
Why should I need to, when the old start menu fuckin' used to be just that? :D Besides, when you have 100+ installed pieces of software it becomes super bothersome to manually arrange stuff.

Also, many applications using the old-style start menu commonly put other shortcuts in their start menu folder - it may have been a manual, FaQ/help, maybe some utilities... No way to find stuff like that in MS's super stupid new start thing. I don't understand why they can't just dump that shit they made in win8 and go back to the superior solution they had. No, then they just size it down and put it where the start menu used to be - talk about being irrationally stubborn. Jesus fucking christ.

I guess I should just install a start menu replacement and be done with it, but I'm kinda lazy, hoping MS will fix their shit voluntarily some day... Seems like a never-occurring hope tho!

Am I the only one who basically never uses the "start menu"?

Windows key, start typing what I want, enter.

For example:
Win+calcu+enter (hey look, calculator!)
Win+stea+enter (hey look, steam!)
Win+outlo+enter (yup, there's outlook)
Win+grand+two arrow down keys+enter (there's GTA3-San Andreas)
Win+hyper+one arrow down+enter (HyperV management console to start various VM's)
Win+min+enter (yay, Minecraft time for the four year old daughter and I)

I can type this shit faster than I could ever mouse, move, click all programs, blah blah blah. This has worked since Windows 7, and I've never used the shitty mouse interface for starting an application ever since.

I generally don't have my hands on the keyboard unless I intend to either game or write something. Mousing for me is easier and more convenient. :) ...Which is why MS's shitty win10 start menu is so infuriating, because it's neither easy nor convenient. It's a pile of horse manure, and that's all it is.

Win8 start screen was actually easier to use because you get better overview (not that overview was great as it was mind you, the way it arranged icons in unbroken vertical columns...)

this is on win 7 I assume win10 behaves the same
I decided to give that a go picked a game at random Hard Reset
typed in Hard Reset
YAtUahT.jpg

that folder is the savegame folder in my documents not the game folder in J:\Games\Hard Reset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back