Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ridiculous video of Steve Ballmer "selling it" was faked - it's a joke by Ballmer.

But sadly, Windows 1 was real. Nobody bought it. Tiled windows on a low res screen and no software?
In fact we see the colorful low res screens of Windows 1 but most PCs had no such graphical capabilities. I think I've realized it's high res EGA (640x350 16 color). In 85 or 86, that would have been extremely expensive, unlikely on a business PC.
CGA would be more common, that's only 640x200 and 1bit "color".
Hell I once found a PC/AT (1987, with hard drive, barely younger than me) and I played with it. It had a text-only "graphics card". Hard to sell a graphical OS when some of your target hardware actually has no support for graphics at all.

Major meaning you can't update the previous one free to the "next OS"

I was told on the internets than MS did provide a free update from Windows 3.1 to 3.11.
This way you can get Windows 3.11 without Workgroups!

But people rarely had internet access, it was even just before the CD-ROM craze.

Last edited by a moderator:
What if there are over 200 commands to choose from, you show a list to pick from? then a list of 20 commmand swiches, then build a list of arguments (you might have none, one or maybe forty thousand), then pipes/redirect. It does seem very messy

I don't see the point! Read the man pages, er sorry , type "dir /?".
Well the same argument applies to Excel & Visual Studio etc.
They managed to GUI them in ways that very few people would want to go back to old non-GUI versions, I'm arguing for basically same GUI elements as those.

Should ORS2 counted as release though? IIRC 95 could be just updated to OSR2 level too
IMO major MS OS releases, excluding the NT's that weren't for home use:
Windows 1.0
Windows 2.0
Windows 2.1
Windows 3.0
Windows 3.1
Windows 3.11
Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows 98SE
Windows ME
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7
Windows 8
Windows 10

Major meaning you can't update the previous one free to the "next OS"

Your missing windows 2000 on that list.

What about Windows XP 64-bit I remember using that for a long time. Separate release form Win XP.

Even though it was released later, should we then lists 64-bit versions of the other OSes, too?
(Also, XP x64 was only released as "professional" version IIRC, not Home?)

It is somewhat different under the hood as it's NT 5.2. Of course all the GUI, icons etc. are the same.

Too bad I didn't switch to XP 64 back in 2009, I could have had 5 more years of easy, lean and fast Windows use. I went with linux instead (my XP went the way of Three Mile Island back then, due to unusually robust and professional malware)

Ha ha ha, why?

Because
Someone+is+wrong+on+internet.png

(No, every 2nd release isn't crap)

It was initially planned at such, but IIRC at the time of release it was made clear it's still professional OS, which is why they came up with WinME quickly

I thought WinMe was made for a compatibility path for 95/98 users since a lot of older hardware like printers and scanners didn't work with windows 2000 .

Windows 2000 being on the market allowed XP to gain the compatibility it needed to really work well for the average home user.

Windows 2000 is basicly vista. Vista came in and changed a lot and broke a lot of compatibility but in turn allowed windows 7 to be a universaly loved OS

Looks like release of Windows 10 will have DX12 included with it. That being said we're looking at April for 2015 build conference maybe?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/directx/archive/2014/10/01/directx-12-and-windows-10.aspx

April could work. Would be a perfect time for hardware too. Core M should be avalible then. So a surface refresh with that 5watt chip instead of the 15 watt i5 would work well and performance is within 15% of each other but with less throttling due to heat it should perform better. That would work for all laptops also. Back to school season should get skydale .

Cherry tree should also be known by that time.
cherry-trail_large_large.png

cherry tree at 8 gigs of ram in a 7 inch tablet would be a nice little chip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your list is missing Win98 SE which is considered major release (not offered as update like service pack for 98 users), as well as pre-95 OSes
Its not my list but the wikipedia page, see link
If you think that 98se is a separate major release then you need to get them to change the wiki page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back