Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha so am I to understand that they seriously considered charging for the calculator at one time, then realized how stupid it is and disabled that?

I seem to recall there was some issues with Calc & Store when Win10 first came out?
Like there was a slightly better version available in Store or something & ppl were presuming it meant normal Calc wouldn't be free?
Not had any problems with that myself thankfully.

Strangely tonight my Windows Media Player suddenly disappeared completely from my computer, folder and all. Windows had it registered as installed still under the Optional programs but it was completely gone. Uninstalled then reinstalled and it's fine.

Personally, I haven't even started media player for years and years. As far as I'm aware, MS isn't actively developing it anymore. Or maybe I'm getting confused in my old age because they can't include it by default anymore in the E.U.

Personally, I haven't even started media player for years and years. As far as I'm aware, MS isn't actively developing it anymore. Or maybe I'm getting confused in my old age because they can't include it by default anymore in the E.U.
Yes they can include it and it is included in most machines. They released the "N"-versions without it to EU, but I haven't heard a single person ever buying N-version over regular Windows.

Oh, alright then.

Come to think of it, I just bought win10 pro for my new PC, and it wasn't a "N". It didn't even show up in the site store. So essentially a windowdressing product then, perhaps?

Oh, alright then.

Come to think of it, I just bought win10 pro for my new PC, and it wasn't a "N". It didn't even show up in the site store. So essentially a windowdressing product then, perhaps?
Well it is actually available too, if you want it, so it's not just for show'n'tell. But yeah, no-one really bothers with it.

edit:
the Windows MediaCreationTool (=Windows 10 downloader) offers N-option too
win10setup.jpg

Last edited:
Well, there's winamp for local music... Should still work quite admirably methinks. I'd rather use that, than the mega bloated excessive windows media player...

Well, there's winamp for local music... Should still work quite admirably methinks. I'd rather use that, than the mega bloated excessive windows media player...
WMP doesn't seem to have the bloat or overhead that it used to, runs very light in the background. But it's dependent on having proper audio drivers. On my old X-Fi in Windows 10 it would have a lot of overhead as it had to run a wrapper on the driver.

This sounds almost like what happened to IE - it was actually fine since IE9 or something, but it could still never shake IE6 reputation. WMP11 isn't bloated excessive POS like some WMP7 might have been, nor was 10. Not sure about 9.

Haha, okay! :D Still, Winamp's interface is very inobtrusive and can be hidden away extremely effectively just about anywhere even on a small screen. Not sure how easy those tiny buttons would be to use on a 4K display (or hell, 8K!), but I think there's a pixel-double option in the settings somewhere... Last I used winamp (which was years ago now), it was also very very light on system resources. Basically you couldn't tell it was playing music, on today's CPUs.

Not sure if it is still being developed tho. AOL wanted to junk the whole thing when they started running low on cash, which shows about how much these faceless mega corps understand about anything. They buy stuff with great pomp and fanfare, and when they fail to monetize it - or at least to the level desired - their first instinct is to trash it completely. Not sell it off to someone else or anything like that and maybe make back a buck or two (because hell, then that someone just might have success with it and we can't have that!), so instead they just trash it.

Someone did buy winamp in the end, but I have no real idea what happened after that. I suspect the program is simply languishing and will end up abandonware eventually anyhow... :p

Windows Media Player is a very good program, prolly my fav music player of all time from any company. Groove is a piece of shit though, so why did MS think it was a good idea to replace WMP with Groove?

Probably easier to maintain? More modern coding practices perhaps, prolly also uses new APIs that do work for them for free. Less features I'd expect, so less stuff to QA/verify for each OS version.

So apparently the big thing about new update is a proper VR environment
Pretty cool in some ways, bit meh in others.

Deeply frustrating that we've never seen any real 3D stuff on Desktop over all these years :mad:

Kek, Microsoft... It's a small miracle that this god-awful fucking company is even still alive, much less any sort of force to be reckoned with.

Was looking for the Media Creation Tool download page - because a mate of mine said that if you don't have the right version of the Win10 installer, it will bluescreen at some point during the procedure if you have a PCIe SSD as target/system drive, so his recommend was to use the tool and make an installer with the latest version directly, rather than hope that's what you get when buying the OS and then maybe find out it wasn't, after the PC has already bluescreened. Naturally, Microsoft's own search function provides zero hits for "media creation tool" other than some user support pages with people asking for help about things...

Even google doesn't show any Microsoft page directly relating to the tool as any top result when again searching for the same thing, also adding "download" just to be extra verbose.

Plenty of 3rd party pages though, offering who-knows-what, and is-this-legit-I'm-not-sure... :LOL:

Eventually I clicked a MS link that was apparently a help page for when the tool DOESN'T work for an user, and was able to navigate from there and download the friggin' thing.

WHYYYY!!!!! is it so hard to just offer a page, easily found/identifiable, that lets you download the damn thing directly, without jumping through a lot of hoops? What shit-for-brains idiot thought that it's better to make a website that makes finding information hard, and what even bigger idiot in management then went on to let him build said site?

*sigh* Oh well.

At least I've got it now...

Edit:

....Actually, no I don't. This version of the tool won't let me make a Win10 Pro installation. JESUS FUCKING CHRIST MOTHERFUCKING MICROSOFT!!! Again this same shit!!! I went through this bullcrap already two friggin years ago with the two different versions of the same tool that are essentially functionally the same, except one can't make win10 Pro installations. Drove me friggin buggo.

How can they be so fucking stupid and inept and still be in business?!?!?!????

Last edited:
Nobody uses the Media Creator Tool - just download the ESD image directly from Microsoft and convert it to ISO file using free ESD tools, then make a bootable USB with Rufus.

ESDs for Windows 10 RS3
forums.guru3d.com/threads/official-windows-10-rs3-fall-creators-update-build-16299-15.416866/
or search the Internet for ProductsRS3RTM10032017.xml
(look for rs3_release_clientconsumer_ret_x64fre_en-us )

ESDtoISO (GUI)
bit.ly/TenForums
Step by step guide: tenforums.com/tutorials/2570-esd-iso-create-bootable-iso-windows-10-esd-file.html

ESDDecrypter
github.com/gus33000/ESD-Decrypter
DecryptESD
github.com/hounsell/DecryptESD
etc.

Rufus
rufus.akeo.ie

Last edited:
Reactions: Kej
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back