Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
In that case you can just assign your pocket wifi ssid as a metered connect, I think that should stop OS downloads.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/set-up-metered-connection-windows-10

It'll stop anything that isn't considered a "critical update". That's usually a security update but can occasionally be a stability update. It'll stop most restarts but not all of them. So for instance, it still would have restarted for the critical update that addressed the security vulnerability that allowed the ransomware thing to happen, but it would stop something like the Creator's update which isn't considered critical.

Regards,
SB

After cleaning up previous update downloads folder and just to be sure also removing some old vpn drivers my PC finally updated to Creators update last night. Glad that's over and done with ;)

Also started the update on my wife's little old laptop. Wow that one is slow in updating it was at 58% after some 6 hours.

Win10 machines with 'Defer feature updates' now getting Creators Update
Jul 31, 2017
Now that Microsoft, uh, recommends version 1703 build 15063.483, your “Defer feature updates” setting has expired, and you’re getting the business-ready version of Win10 Creators Update. (This, despite the fact that there’s a massive batch of bug fixes waiting in the wings for 1703.)

There is no "Current Branch for Business" anymore, but that "Microsoft recommends" bullet applies in its stead. If you were deferring updates, your deferral just ran out (see screenshot).
http://www.computerworld.com/articl...ture-updates-now-getting-creators-update.html

Another Cumulative Update https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4032188/windows-10-update-kb4032188
A weird thing: I'd just updated to Cat 17.7.2 & done the reboot suggested, Windows Update said it'd actually automatically checked a few mins earlier, then I did a manual update check that found the Cumulative update :|

And yet again I've had to use the Hardware Troubleshooter to make sure something GPU related (also happens when I do Catalyst update) is working properly after :-?
At least I know about it & know to do it now :smile2:

This new way of updating with cumulative updates is really crappy. It's basically installing the OS over and over and over and over. LIKE A PHONE :( :( :(

and now the deferment of Windows 10 creators update has lapsed so I had to hide the update with a special tool just so I could avoid it. It's just too many problems with the creators update to bother with installing it.

Why do you want to be stuck on old software?

Why do you want to be stuck on old software?
I want to be on relatively stable software. I don't consider Windows 10 creators update stable. And if I'm honest, I'm not really sure about Windows 10 anniversary update either.

Also, there is nothing in the creators update which will make my life better.

What isn't stable about it?

I'm running the Creator update on my nuc that is serving as htpc and server with a bunch of VM running in the background. Current uptime is about 20 days.

I've never had any w10 stability issues. The only real issue I had so far is a update breaking the scheduled task for starting my VPN VM at boot. Been fine otherwise.

I've updated my main rig a couple of weeks ago and that hasn't given me any problems either.

Only issue is I cannot change my monitor settings, probably because it's connected through dvi and this makes windows/and driver think the tv is the main monitor and won't allow me to change anything unless I extended to the tv. Not sure if this is a windows or AMD issue though. Had the same on w7.

The only downside is that for whatever reason this makes some games fail when I want to play them on my monitor. Particularly gta5. Disconnecting my tv doesn't fix the issue.

Very strange but as I play all my games on tv these days I haven't really looked for a solution.

What isn't stable about it?

I'm running the Creator update on my nuc that is serving as htpc and server with a bunch of VM running in the background. Current uptime is about 20 days.

I've never had any w10 stability issues. The only real issue I had so far is a update breaking the scheduled task for starting my VPN VM at boot. Been fine otherwise.

I've updated my main rig a couple of weeks ago and that hasn't given me any problems either.

Only issue is I cannot change my monitor settings, probably because it's connected through dvi and this makes windows/and driver think the tv is the main monitor and won't allow me to change anything unless I extended to the tv. Not sure if this is a windows or AMD issue though. Had the same on w7.

The only downside is that for whatever reason this makes some games fail when I want to play them on my monitor. Particularly gta5. Disconnecting my tv doesn't fix the issue.

Very strange but as I play all my games on tv these days I haven't really looked for a solution.
It's mainly related to wonkiness with HDR and with monitors in general (as you have experienced).

There's just not enough good stuff in creators update to counteract the risk of upgrading.

The only time I've found Win10 {current_version} to be unstable is on my Lenovo Tablet 2 device, specifically with on-screen keyboard not showing up after "rapid boot" for about the 14th time. I forced the rapid boot function despite it not defaulting to this behavior on my device, which likely suggests why it doesn't always work in exactly the way I woudl hope. I eventually just turned off the rapid boot function, it only "cost" me about three seconds of boot time (on a ~12 second boot) and I've not had a problem with the on-screen keyboard since.

I've got a Win10 Pro VM which never reboots except when I remote in to apply updates; it hosts my PLEX server and gets used daily. At one point, it had something stupid like 130 days of uptime and had a stack of updates waiting when I went to check. Oops. I'm having a hard time understanding the complaints about instability...

Maybe because it's a virtual adapter?

I also still don't fully understand your problem. It would help having a network diagram showing what is your and what is not.

Frankly not seeing anything exciting to me there
There's the "improved gaming mode", if that interests you... :) Apparently the original gaming mode didn't do much of anything, so now they've, err, improved it. Still don't really know what it's supposed to do, but hopefully it'll do something beneficial this time around.

Wasn't there supposed to be improved transparency effects for windows and stuff in this release also? Or was that in a further update? *shrug* I can't remember.

The little I saw of it gave the impression it was just expanding Gaming mode to some other games that I don't own or want.
Actually working on games I have would be nice sure :smile2:

They did talk about new transparency stuff a while back but in the couple of announcement posts I looked at they didn't say anything about it, probably will be the main thing I care for :yes:

Yeah, the transparency that creeped it's way to some apps already should be spreading to more apps with it

There's the "improved gaming mode", if that interests you... :) Apparently the original gaming mode didn't do much of anything, so now they've, err, improved it. Still don't really know what it's supposed to do, but hopefully it'll do something beneficial this time around.

Wasn't there supposed to be improved transparency effects for windows and stuff in this release also? Or was that in a further update? *shrug* I can't remember.

I'm pretty sure it was supposed to organize windows threads onto a single core and leave your other cores for game threads, or something like that.

I'm pretty sure it was supposed to organize windows threads onto a single core and leave your other cores for game threads, or something like that.
Not necessarily single core, but yeah, point is letting the games have "all the possible system resources"

Went to start windows calculator just now, you know, calc.exe, the piece of shit that's been included in every windows version since the beginning of time no doubt (Win 3.x is the earliest I know of it existing, IE about a quarter century ago, but it was probably around before then.)

When I ran it a message appeared, telling me that my 'evaluation period' had expired, and told me to go to the fucking windows store to buy it. What the ever-fucking FUCK kind of bullshit is that?!

SERIOUSLY!!!

Not only is it bullshit they want to nickle and dime me for that completely amateurish app which is a bitch to use (last time I needed it, it couldn't copy/paste numbers in or out of it, had to use fucking google's fucking web calculator to do whatever it was I needed to do...!); ALL windows versions have had a non-crippleware calculator come included with the OS, not to mention I've also been using the win10 version of calc on and off ever since win10 launched friggin two years ago and NEVER has it said anything about any evaluation periods!

What the fuck IS this?!

Edit:
HAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHA! Ha ha.

Fucking windows registry bullshit. Some update must have screwed something up which shouldn't have been screwed with. I found a guy with the same issue, the MS worker bee's procedure on how to uninstall the calculator (!) and then reinstall it from the store fixed things. Holy crap, what a mess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back