Wii impression thread

I've had my Wii for a few days now, and I really really like it :)
I have Wii Sports, Zelda and the Monkey Ball games, and they all are tons of fun.
The accuracy of the control method surprised me, even though in my room the heavy glass coffee table that is between sofa and screen does cut out the signal so that I have to hold the Wiimote a bit higher than would be comfortable... I must buy a lower coffee table next :)

I biought the Wii pretty much by impulse, and I'm very happy with my decision.
Even though currently there's little in the future announced games that interest me (only Mario Galaxy comes to mind) with most being a collection of minigames demoeing the Wiimote, I'm confident there'll be plenty of good, deeper games too in the future.
The classic games and the Wii Channels are a great feature too.

Overall, I didn't think I'd like the Wii this much before I bought it. I really wasn't seriously considering buying it, instead saving my money for the PS3, I'm still excited by the PS3, but more because of the Blu-ray movies than gaming features :)

That's great ! I will be getting a Wii for my wife and little boy too. I think it'd be an absolute blast to play together.

Christmas living-room tennis event completed. Fun had. Operation determined a success.

Golfing apparently too difficult for casual gamers, motion adaption seems erratic with little sense of control over what's happening. Everybody wants to try it but then switches to hating it. I like it a little more but that's because I play it "not right", with short jabs instead of swings.
We haven't tried boxing in multiplayer, but that, too, is a little tough to control. It's somehow implied by the game -- don't ask me why exactly, that's just what people expect when they see it -- that you can do things with whole-body motion while you actually can't, and that's frustrating for first-timers. If you want to play that with friends you should first demonstrate to them that you can control it while standing absolutely still, purely with tilting and backward-forward motions of the controllers.

Bowling has proven itself to be very accessible. As in non-gamers throwing strikes in their first game.
Baseball is hard and physically exhausting, but in a satisfying way.

Tennis rules. It's easy to get into and then turns into crazy hectic awesome fun in multiplayer, much more so than against the machine, where it stays kinda slow and predictable.

Wii a success at my folks home. The entire family had a blast with Wii sports playing the system for most of the day. My dad (who thought gaming was to be the end of the world during the eighties :rolleyes: ) has become a closet gamer in past few years having completed on the PC all of the Call of Duty, Far Cry games just loved it and said he was going to be buying one. He said he wants to use it for a bit of exercise playing Wii sports.

I never thought I would see the day that my old man would pick up a console system.

Oh and the kids just adore Elebits......

I've always been a PC gamer, and have previously never even considered buying a console. That's mostly because of brief attempts to use console controllers on demo stands and utterly hating them, but also because I've never seen the point of playing games on a console when my well-specced PC offers similar games with decent mouse control, wheel+pedals or joystick. (Oh, and I'm a WoW-player these days, so I don't really play any other games)

However, Wii tempted me just enough to go out and get one, mostly just as a quick "family" blast and something fun to do when people come to visit. I also saw the Wii demo station in one local store and was rather surprised at how poor the in-game pictures looked, but I risked a purchase anyway. So far I'm very happy with my first ever game console, and I'd say it looks considerably better on my home TV than the Wii demo station (in case others are also worried about that).

I bought the Wii console together with Wii Play (for the second remote), because I wasn't sure what to expect, but I'll be picking up Zelda as soon as I can find it on a store shelf.

Wii Sports:
Baseball was the only real "dud" to my mind, since there just seems to be too little control nuance available, and the game is simplified too far.
Boxing is fun but suffers from difficulty getting the controller response you are after (I guess this means I need to practice more) and I would need to actually find a second nunchuk to be able to play it 2 player.
Golf, Tennis and Bowling were all excellent fun. They all required about half an hour to figure out what sort of gestures the game responds to best, but even from the start they were great fun to play together with the rest of the family.
Overall I'd say that Wii Sports is way more than some kind of "tech demo". You get pick-up-and-play fun to be shared with every guest to turn up at your house for months to come, and multiple players is where the fun is, not playing against the computer AI. Obviously we're not talking about a simulation here, but an easy-to-play game, and yet there is definitely sufficient nuance available to ensure that the "better" player can win.

Wii Play:
It's cheap (only a few euros on top of the controller price, not that you can buy the controller separate from Wii Play in europe at the moment). Of the 9 included games, there are 3 which I can see myself playing for long. However, I do appreciate that the "simpler" games are probably ideally suited to kids.
Many of the games use the Wii Controller pointer mode, e.g. to shoot targets on the screen or move objects around. My girlfriend (who only ever plays those simple free download games from MSN) wiped the floor with me pretty much every game, proving very neatly that aptitude with mouse and PC games does you little good when you switch to a Wii :)
The most fun games in the bundle are laser hockey and the tank game. Laser hockey is a very nice interpretation of Pong for 2 players, and looks to have enough interest to last quite a while. The tank game is a blast and it will probably outlast the others. The pool game could be decent if I could figure out how to get better cue control - it was very very hit and miss so far, with me just as likely to end up rolling the cue ball 10cm as thundering a shot to send the entire table into motion. As it is, it just reminds me how effective Virtual Pool was with it's mouse-controlled cue movement.

How good are those controllers then?
All in all, the Wiimote was more successful than I had imagined. Yes, you can just make small wrist movements, but it's fun to make realistic movements and have them treated as such, and you do get a nice workout in the process. Much much much better than twiddling your thumbs and wondering when you'll get RSI!
However, there are definitely also weak spots: I am finding movements directly towards the sensor bar to be erratic (compared to the other two dimensions which work fine). This means that it sometimes doesn't register punches, very gentle golf puts often refuse to register since there you are only really moving the Wiimote directly towards the screen, and as mentioned earlier pool cue moves are very difficult to control accurately.
I was wondering if anyone has tried recalibrating the controllers. I just turned my Wii on, told it that the sensor bar was above the TV, and started playing. I'm hoping that I can find a calibration routine to get my perpendicular movement behaving more accurately.

I found it very interesting to watch "hardened" console gamers analyze the Wii. All I can say is: "Guys, this console is so totally not aimed at you, get over it". This console is aimed at all those households which have never contemplated a game console. It's aimed at providing fun family entertainment where previously you'd have been playing a board game at the dinner table. And I think Nintendo has succeeded. I would never have dreamed that I'd one day actually own a Nintendo, and yet they sucked me in with that controller and that promise of easy-to-use fun gameplay. And I'm enjoying it. More importantly, so is my girlfriend.

I played the Wii for a couple of hours at a friend's house last night. I'd have to say that I like it, but with some reservations.

1. The best games in Wii Sports were Bowling & Tennis. Baseball and Golf were alright, and Boxing was terrible.

2. The control is not all that refined. It's good enough for casual fun, but there doesn't seem to be enough fine control to really simulate anything major with the Wiimote. I'll change my mind if a real baseball game comes out that can actually allow you to adjust your swing or put spin on a pitch etc...

3. Zelda has terrible graphics. It's not even the best the Cube has to offer, let alone what the Wii hardware is capable of. Very disappointing. I didn't play it long enough to get a feel for the gameplay, but I'll take the review community's word for it that the gameplay is a 10/10. It would have to be for Zelda to be scoring this high, because the graphics look like ass.

4. Longevity. The Wii is the best fun you'll ever have with family and friends for the first night you play it, but will it have legs? That remains to be seen. I have my doubts, but it will completely depend on software quality.

Overall I had a lot of fun with Wii, despite the completely dumbed down casual nature of the whole Wii Sports experience. It's a system built for non-gamers and gamers alike, with Wii Sports completely aimed at the non-gamer and Zelda aimed at the hardcore gamer.

It'll be interesting to see how Nintendo fleshes out the games for Wii. I feel that Wii Sports gameplay/graphics will not be good enough for gamers and that the non-gamers will lose interest if they aren't pushed into playing/participating by gamers. Will your grand-dad actually go out and get a Wii? Only time will tell...

I spent last night figuring out how to get movements towards and away from the TV behaving better. Turns out that they work best when you push directly towards the sensor bar, rather than just in the general direction towards it.

So I moved my sensor bar down from on top of the TV (probably around 1 meter off the ground) to below the TV (around 50cm off the ground). All Wii sports games still work fine standing up and flailing around, but seated play has improved, and I was getting some good pool shots in Wii Play too.

I still think the horizontal perpendicular axis is the weak spot of the Wii, but you can definitely do things to improve performance based on your own room setup.

All Wii sports games still work fine standing up and flailing around, but seated play has improved, and I was getting some good pool shots in Wii Play too.

IIRC, Wii Sports only uses the sensor bar for pointing in the interface. Actual gameplay only uses the accelerometer in the Wiimote, not the sensor bar (which is for precise pointing only).

I spent last night figuring out how to get movements towards and away from the TV behaving better. Turns out that they work best when you push directly towards the sensor bar, rather than just in the general direction towards it.

So I moved my sensor bar down from on top of the TV (probably around 1 meter off the ground) to below the TV (around 50cm off the ground). All Wii sports games still work fine standing up and flailing around, but seated play has improved, and I was getting some good pool shots in Wii Play too.

I still think the horizontal perpendicular axis is the weak spot of the Wii, but you can definitely do things to improve performance based on your own room setup.

Well, the "sensor" bar consists just of 4 LEDs at the end of each arms. So you can replace it with any IR source of comparable strength. Basically you could place just one source to the right of your TV and one to the left and it would work as well. You can try if that improves the handling...

It pays to use the setup functions for the remote, there is a selection for ablve/below TV and a sensititvity adjustment, the sensitivity needs to be adjusted to your sitting/standing distance.

After posting I read up on the actual tech involved (there's a big wiki page devoted to it), and realised how it works. So thanks for the corrections/explanations, I realise that my irritations came of a lack of understanding how the technology was implemented.

So to clarify: Everything based on the accelerometers was working decently, but "pushing towards the screen" for instance pool shots was clearly using the remote pointer functionality instead of just the accelerometers and was therefore behaving badly until I realised that you have to push "towards the sensor bar" not "towards the screen". In my case having the sensor bar on top of the TV, but sitting down and pushing at the screen was failing dismally. Thankfully having the sensor bar under the TV is working much better.

My trick was to practice pushing at the screen in menu mode and watch how the pointer reacted. Once I got used to pushing so that the pointer stayed roughly in place, I was able to use that movement to finally get some decent cue shots going in the pool game.

The same principle applies to quite a few games which have 3 dimensions of travel (e.g. the fishing in Wii Play, various minigames in SuperMonkeyBall, etc...): They tend to use the pointer mode for up/down left/right on the screen, and use distance away from the sensor bar for the third dimension of travel, instead of using the accelerometers for horizontal movement. I am now wondering if that was a design decision, a limitation (in accelerometer sensitivity or in how you combine pointer mode with movement detection), or a lack of thought on the part of the developers of these games.

Oh, and yesterday my girlfriend got an absolutely amazing amount of side spin on a shot in tennis (the ball bounced off at around 30 degrees direction change as well as swinging in the air). I just stared in disgust as I failed to get even slightly close to a return. So I'm now even more impressed with Wii sports tennis than before: backspin, topspin, sidespin are all well implemented and you can play drop shots or slams, serve underarm or serve an ace. That controller accelerometer sensitivity is good.

My impressions after living with the system since launch and playing a whole bunch of games is that I'm not overly impressed. The Wiimote has potential but also has problems and it's not enough to overcome what it's lacking in other areas compared to the other systems. Graphics,online, 3rd party support etc.
As far as software is concerned,I'm sure Nintendo's stuff will be great as usual,but the quality of the 3rd party stuff so far is not all that great.
I'm not sure at this point what it's future will be like. I have mixed fellings. I see a great initial response and some promising software coming down the pipe but I see that for all the systems as well. It's so hard to gauge the Wii's future IMO.
I'm going to give the Wii until holiday 07,but my initial feelings tell me this may be my last Nintendo home console. If they can turn things around and replicate the success of the DS things may change.Who knows. At this point I'm much much more interested in playing with my DS than I am my Wii. I may have been wrong about the Wii. :???:

If you got a DS than you might know that it also took more than a year before the DS finally got some decent games ;) kinda the same story with wii games right now.

My girlfriend and I both just finished beating Zelda, and I have to say that so far we are having a blast with the Wii.
No, the graphics aren't at the same level as the 360 or PS3, but I don't particularly care. Zelda is a beautiful game IMO, despite any technical shortcomings. Good art is good art - there are many older games that I find much more appealing graphically than many newer games just for this very reason.
Wii Sports is simple but great fun, especially when you get a bunch of people together. It is really funny watching people get so into the game with their bodies, and then even greater fun when you realize how much you are getting into it with your own body. A few friends were a little shy about it at first and were not having much fun, but once they relaxed and let go they were having a blast too.
I was skeptical at first about playing Zelda with the control scheme - even for the first few hours of the game, but as I relaxed and just started playing I thought it worked really well. The only annoyance I had was adjusting to a slight increase in the lag time for taking out my sword, but I got over that quickly.
I know there are a lot of people who feel let down because the movement isn't one-to-one in the games and that gestures have just become a replacement for pushing a button. The controller seems pretty capable to me, so I am sure we will see some cool things with it - it's just a matter of the devs getting up to speed with how to work with it. Personally, though, I am thinking that I know absolutely nothing about swordplay and if I needed to rely on my skills with a sword I would get my ass handed to me. It could be cool having some sort of swordfighting sim, but personally I just want the illusion of being some master swordfighter and for me swinging the remote around gets me much more into the illusion than just pushing a button even if the end result on the screen is the same. Perhaps one of the greatest moments so far has been watching my girlfriend in the last fight in Zelda. She is a fairly newish gamer, but she was getting into it more than I think I have ever seen someone get into a game. Just that alone, watching her there at the end, would have sold me on the entire concept of the system. And it is not just her, but any newish/casual/non gamer I have watched so far has gotten into the games very easily and very heavily.
Just my 2 cents.

Zelda has terrible graphics...I didn't play it long enough to get a feel for the gameplay

Then I'm going to guess that you didn't play it for long enough to see everything it had to offer graphically, either. I've actually played a few video games where later areas look significantly better than beginning areas. RE4 comes to mind.

I have to say that so far we are having a blast with the Wii. No, the graphics aren't at the same level as the 360 or PS3, but I don't particularly care. Zelda is a beautiful game IMO, despite any technical shortcomings. Good art is good art - there are many older games that I find much more appealing graphically than many newer games just for this very reason.

You represent the majority of gamers.

It's my opinion that Zelda has terrible graphics in the early going. Hopefully they will improve later on.

You represent the minority of gamers. :LOL:

Zelda is quite decent for Cube hardware, probably one of its top titles graphically. But, it is loaded with color dithering, blurry textures, and aliasing of both textures and polys. I am disappointed that it wasn't tailored more for Wii though. Of course that assumes Wii really is capable of noticeably better graphics than Cube. W/O resolution boosts that's somewhat questionable overall (esp for HDTV users). The dithering and texture aliasing are the most annoying issues to me.

Zelda is quite decent for Cube hardware, probably one of its top titles graphically. But, it is loaded with color dithering, blurry textures, and aliasing of both textures and polys. I am disappointed that it wasn't tailored more for Wii though. Of course that assumes Wii really is capable of noticeably better graphics than Cube. W/O resolution boosts that's somewhat questionable overall (esp for HDTV users). The dithering and texture aliasing are the most annoying issues to me.

You do realize Zelda was designed for the cube and then ported to the Wii with few graphical improvements? Not to mention the fact that the GC uses disks that are 1.5GB while the Wii uses full DVDs. The textures in Wii-designed games will be far better.

Oh, and the Wii is more than twice as powerful as the GC. Considering no game out there used the GC to its fullest capacity (no, not even RE4), games should look very good on Wii, as long as the sales hold up and developers decide to build games for it. No they won't look like 360 or PS3 games, but then the Wii wasn't designed that way.

Back