Wii impression thread

Zelda is probably harder on the batteries (pointer / camera always on, unless you explicitly turn it off for everything in the options) than Wii Sports (pointer / camera only in the menus).
Loving it so far! :D

AThe Wiimote rumbled with virtually every movement in the OS. Friends said they didn't notice, but it was definitely there. I found that a distraction and surely it's a waste of batteries. Unfortunately I couldn't find a menu option to switch it off.

I can help with that one.

Press the Home button on the Wii-Mote, then point to the controller that pops up on the screen and click. You'll be able to adjust the speaker volume and turn the rumble off there.

MoH

Ive got the Wii for a couple of days now and I think its great. Even my grandmother played a few rounds of bowling (and she doesnt care about computers, games etc at all). Zelda is just freaking awsome and looks great too. I also got red steel and I dont understand why all the reviewers give it such a low grade. Besides from the first few levels the gfx look pretty decent. Not alot of jaggies and decent textures. And more important, the controlls work just fine. Aiming is nice and turning around isnt that slow at all. The only problem is that the controlls flip out from time to time without reason. But if it works it works great. A little below a mouse but alot better than analoge sticks.

Overall im happy with it. The gfx arnt perfect but RS and zelda didnt bother me at all for the most part. Though I dont have a HDTV so that probably helps a bit.

If the games keep coming, and more stuff like zelda and RS (only better) will come out the wii will also do great as your main game device. Atleast I dont feel the need at all to buy a x360 or ps3 after playing zelda and rs for a couple of days.

I'm seriously considering buying a Wii, but need some more info to decide if I can make it fit in my ht setup. If anyone can answer these, it'd be much appreciated.

- How long is the sensor bar cable, is it easily extendable by cutting and placing some extra wire in beteween?
- How long is the composhite video cable that's included in the box? How long are the component and s-video cables? Can they be extended by just using an extension wire with female connectors on the other end?
- Is the Wii playable with a 90" front projector screen and a siting/standing distance of approximately 3 meters? Is my screen too big in relative to the sensor bar?

- How long is the sensor bar cable, is it easily extendable by cutting and placing some extra wire in beteween?
Ithink the wire's muhc too long actually hehe. Then again my wii sits right next to the TV. I guess it's around 2.5m or so. It's very very thin tho, kind of like a headphones wire. If you cut it to solder in an extender you better have a firm hand. And you better not cross the wires since diodes will only work when power runs through them the right way.. I would buy an extension myself but that's just me..

- How long is the composhite video cable that's included in the box?
About same length that other such cables are like the gamecube's for example, except thiscable is gray in color. :cool: Yes, you can easily stick on an extension with female connector in one end.

- Is the Wii playable with a 90" front projector screen and a siting/standing distance of approximately 3 meters? Is my screen too big in relative to the sensor bar?
3 meters is too far I'd say. I started getting jerky response from my wiimote before I hit that distance. I'd say ideal distance is about 2m. Also you can't be at too big an angle off-center from the bar or it starts going screwy again.

Sensor bar doesn't relate to screen size. It's like your mouse and your PC screen resolution, changing one doesn't affect the other.. Even varying the distance from the sensor bar doesn't seem to alter wiimote sensitivity much if at all. It detects distance from the sensor bar and probably adjusts automatically to compensate.

Overall the wiimote is rpetty robust i'd say.If you are aware of the limitations that is.

Get yourself a wii, you will have lots of fun with it I'm sure.

Peace.

It ought to be a doddle to add a custom battery pack and not need any wire. It's just 10 LEDs. Get the voltage right and you're laughing.

It ought to be a doddle to add a custom battery pack and not need any wire. It's just 10 LEDs. Get the voltage right and you're laughing.

here's what i did to my sensor bar...
wiibatterybm0.gif

using the 9volt connectors i can run the sensor bar untethered from the console powered by a 9volt battery, or power it via the console. the voltage from the back of the console is 12v, but i had no issues running my bar off a 9v, and next chance i get i'll drop by radio shack and pick up an 8xAA battery pack so i can use rechargeables.

That's quite straight forward. So a standard 9v PP3 does the trick? Easy. All you have to do now is patent the idea and sell replacement sensor bars for $20+ a pop!

i'm afraid my skills with a soldering iron are quite low. people would return the replacement sensor bars because i made them really ugly looking.

oh, and if you do mod your cable like mine, make sure you reverse the polarity on the conector that's attatched to the cable that goes to the system. the wires are color coded copper and red, just like in my diagram, but they are kinda small so i want to make sure everyone notices.

Last edited by a moderator:
2,5 meters for the sensor cable is way too short for me, I'd neet at least 5 meters.
The sensor bar is connected to the Wii, am I right?
If it only needs to be connected to a power socket, then I'll be just fine. (Edit: ok, so it seems to be connected to Wii from above posts).
The problem is, I'd either nee a long video (and audio) cable or long sensor bar cable (if it's connected to the Wii), as there's no other way I'd be able to connect the Wii via my AV amp to my projector. The Wii would either need to be located near the screen and sensor bar, or near the AV amp, and in both cases the distance would be about 5 meters to run the cables.

I'm not too keen on modding the sensor bar right out of box to make the set up possible.

I'm not too keen on modding the sensor bar right out of box to make the set up possible.

you can always buy another from nintendo for $10. the 9v connectors i bought were from radio shack and were $2.50 for a set of 5, so if you have the soldering supplies already you can have a setup for about $15. i was going to buy a second sensor bar before i cut up mine, but i got the itch and had to scratch it. but everything turned out fine for me.

The sensor bar is connected to the Wii, am I right?
Yes, but only for very simple DC power. There's no data communications going on.

Ifg you need 5 meters of range, get a wireless wii sensor bar (either homemade mod or 3rd party) and move the sensor bar closer to where you're sitting. It should work just as well as if it was close up to the TV as you don't actually aim directly at stuff on the TV image when you aim with the wiimote..

Peace.

Yes, but only for very simple DC power. There's no data communications going on.

Ifg you need 5 meters of range, get a wireless wii sensor bar (either homemade mod or 3rd party) and move the sensor bar closer to where you're sitting. It should work just as well as if it was close up to the TV as you don't actually aim directly at stuff on the TV image when you aim with the wiimote..
The one tested on ign is UGLY! I won't put one in my livingroom, also putting the sensor bar closer is out of the question, as there is nothing but floor and a heavy glass coffee table between the screen and sofa, and I won't be putting it on the coffee table because ithe sensor bar would have to be moved away when not gaming. I want my livingroom to stay nice and tidy, and moving things around when I feel like playing is too much hassle.
Seems like no Wii for me, yet. Until there's some neater third party wireless sensor bar available, or a ready-made extension cord.
Well, I can't find a Wii anyway anywhere yet, so with luck once there's more units available there'd also pe other solutions for the bundled sensor bar.
It's just that I really don't like getting some third party, not officially endorsed gear to replace an nintendo made one the same day I get the console.

Funny, it was a similar reason I never got to buy a Game Cube. It just didn't fit in my entertainment centre without making same (possibly) quality degrading compromises. The S-video was disabled on the EU console, and at that time it and composhite would have been the only possible options for me to make the GC fit in witout either sacrificing the only RGB SCART on my telly for GC (I rather used it for DVD), or buying a SCART switch, which I was reluctant to do because of possible degrading of the DVD image.

I just want to rant a little bit.

I am getting really tired of not being able to get a Wii, I went to Target and Best Buy this morning. Best Buy I had 18 and I was about 22 in line and Target had 17 and I was in the 20's for that too. I've been calling different cities trying to get this thing everyday since it came out. This was ridiculous two weeks ago and I don't even have a word to describe it now.

I just want to rant a little bit.

I am getting really tired of not being able to get a Wii, I went to Target and Best Buy this morning. Best Buy I had 18 and I was about 22 in line and Target had 17 and I was in the 20's for that too. I've been calling different cities trying to get this thing everyday since it came out. This was ridiculous two weeks ago and I don't even have a word to describe it now.

I sent three back to amazon yesterday.

YOU MUST NOT BE TRYING HARD ENOUGH :LOL: just kidding.

Back