Wii impression thread

Also, there's a couple of new virtual console games, Some Turbographx shootemup, and Mario Kart 64 for the ridiculous sum of 1000 Wii poits!!! Seems like they're slowly hitching up the cost of the VC games :devilish:

1000 points for N64 games has been known since they announced VC games prices. While I agree it's ridiculous, it's not a price hike (yet).

Yes. 10000 is The Price for N64 games on the Virtual Console, as seen seen with Mario 64.

There's a little problem here though. As with F-Zero before it, the series has an ultimate, world-beating, near perfect incarnation, but it's not the one on the Virtual Console.
Play Mario Kart DS for an hour, and you'll be just about ready to forget that that other game even existed. And also just like F-Zero, it's not a level-based game where you could get something out of playing "the whole story". You just don't need more than one version.

You know, opinions shmopinions, but that's mine anyway.

Of all the channels, the News channel is one I just don't understand. It's a 'cutesy' fun, family friendly console. You have cartoony Wii's and a little cat as the news loads up. And then read all the doom and glom and death and misery in the world...

If it was Nintendo specialized news with lots of niceness, I'd be all in favor. As it is, providing a web browser gives users access to every news site out there, and they're free to pick the bias they prefer. I don't see the point of a news channel, other than to make it like a TV interface.

Your just as biased as you were on gamewinners.com's console combat...

Nintendo is trying to widen their audience. They are marketing to 5-95 men and women. Sony and Microsoft are only truly marketing to 18-25 white man demo graphic(north America)and 18-25 Japanese male(japan). Nintendo is trying to imitate the Atari and Famicom's success(the famicom had alot of Pr0n on it same with genesis). If they market to the demographics that are ignored(including women) then they'll have a easier time gaining a large(or dominant) marketshare compared to fighting over the small slowly growing saturated niche that thier competitors have got. Smart business strategy.

Maybe they will release Wii2 when PS3's graphics begin to hit its prime(probably 5 years)and add more powerful hardware(970GX $30,X1900 $140 1GB $16 RAM in 2012 ) and catch Sony in a bad position.(Sony making losses on hardware will be forced to a)release another console and take more losses b)keep going and developers/publishers will migrate to the easier/cheaper platform c)stop production of PS3 hardware(games will still be released) and exclusively support PS2 and PSP hardware until they have enough money to release a better designed PS4.

Both Microsoft and Nintendo played Sony like a card.

Well there is such a thing as Karma. Shortly after I posted yesterday, my sister-in-law called me and told me she had picked a Wii up for me.

In short, I love it. The GUI is great, very sleek and easy to use

I'm 5.5hrs. into Zelda, just beat the Forest Temple. It's pretty amazing so far. The dithering is annoying though as well as some ugly textures and some low poly models, i.e. the fishing rod. It does look to only be getting better from here on out.

Wii sports is a blast, I played it with my nephews yesterday for about two hours. I thought bowling was too easy and that there wasn't much rhyme or reason to how boxing works and tennis can be little frustrating by the way the ball can go out, I'm not sure if it's me or the game and if it's me I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I might have to read the instructions. Either golf or tennis is my favorite though, baseball is good to though.

I have two questions though, what game should I get for super bowl weekend i.e. multiplayer and also is Wii Play out yet?

p.s. has anyone tried hooking up a card reader through the USB port yet? It would be interesting to see if Memory sticks and XD and CF cards would work that way.

--MCK

An update on the controller.
The more I play the more used to it I get and the weirder it feels going back to the standard 360 controller Feels like something is missing from the experience with a standard controller.

Wii Sports ROCKS....

I'm getting pretty good with massive spin on the ball in Tennis. Nice to get some crazy movement when you want to.

Just wish golf had that ability......

For those having issues with boxing, do the training, it helps you learn how to punch.

p.s. has anyone tried hooking up a card reader through the USB port yet? It would be interesting to see if Memory sticks and XD and CF cards would work that way.
Nope, but I tried a 512MB USB flash stick, and that didn't work. Card readers are more trouble to support, so I'd say chances are very slim.

Maybe the Wiimote shortage is hitting Wiiplay. It's no longer available for pre-order at Ebgames/Gamestop.com. I checked out every online retailer on Nintendo.com's "where to buy" list. The only one that I could even order was fredmeyer.com, so I placed an order there. I don't know how reliable they are, have never ordered anything from them, but I ordered because they were listed by Nintendo.

Back