What's your opinion on Blu-ray technology?

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by PSman, Apr 22, 2006.

1. thenefariousone

Newcomer

We already have two examples that represent the technical extent of next-gen console games: GRAW and Oblivion.

Oblivion PC Recommended System Requirements:
    3 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
    1 GB System RAM ATI X800 series, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series, or higher video card
    Space Required: 4.6 GB free hard disk space

GRAW
    2 GHz Pentium® IV or the equivalent with 1Gb RAM
    NVIDIA® GeForce 6/7 or ATI® Radeon® 9600-9800/X
    Space Required: 5 GB of hard drive space

Both games have fantastic reviews, are represent technical aspects of next-gen games, and are available today, on dvd or cds.

2. pc999

Veteran

I am asking this because if this is a pic from a 480i then in the pic there is only 640x240 (still our eyes percive it "somewhat like 480") and we will be comparing a 640x240 vs a 1280x720.

I think it is probably from a 480i for the reason I gave early.

3. Titanio

Legend

You have absolutely got to be joking :lol: If this is as good as it gets, stop the planet, I want off.

You'll see things even in the next 12 months that blow both of those games away, not to mention over the next 5 or 6 years.

4. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

It's a DVD feed upscaled, so probably shown at 480p.
    Anyway, i didn't want to start a big argument, i just thought the GIF looked cool ;)

5. one

one Unruly Member
    Veteran

Believe it or not, my argument is that your scenario is as hypothetical as the scenario I illustrated unless you know the retail price of PS3. Plain and simple.

6. Ty

Ty Roberta E. Lee
    Veteran

Maybe, I never claimed to "get it".

Anyhow why don't you tell us what exactly your tool does and we'll see if it applies to games and not static 2D images.

7. DarkRage

Newcomer

I don't need to know PS3 retail price. BD is getting PS3 significantly more expensive to build = more expensive to get.

And for the extra money I am receiving zero to very little improvement in games.

For Sony it is a key technology, as it pushes High-Def, more TV sets, royalties and loads of money. I don't blame sony for trying it, even if it means delaying and getting a higher priced PS3. Benefits are potentially huge for them. But for me, as a game player, they are not.

8. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

I'm not assuming anything, just taking a ball-park figure to work with. 5x sounded good based on the quality improvement we're wanting/expecting over current gen. If the consoles have 10x the resources, 10x the polygon drawing, 10x the RAM, etc., the games will have 10x as much stuff, no? So I just took a very approximate figure to consider an argument's feasibility.

Meshes and textures are likely to increase in number and resolution. Audio should increase in number and quality, with more diversity of sounds and better quality, unless that's not to improve at all next gen. Video going HD is going to be 3x the size of SD video. Unless things aren't getting better next gen, they're getting bigger. Which is where I asked the question how much bigger...
    If audio takes up 50% of storage requirements, and audio increases only by 20% in size nexet gen, that's going to lower the average increase considerably. But there is still an increase. I don't know id that average is 5x, 3x, 10x, or what, which is why I'm asking for ideas of what the expected growth would be. From that figure we can make a better guess as to requirements. It's certainly a more logical approach to estimate impact on next-gen games than picking one single title and deciding that shows next-gen does or doesn't need any more than 4.5 GB...

9. scooby_dooby

Legend

They used 60% of the disc space cause they 'had to'? Oblivion had a boatload of disc space remaining if they had needed it they would've used it. Oblivion struggled to stream the low res textures it did use.

#169 scooby_dooby, Apr 25, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2006
  10. Gholbine

Regular

Oblivion is a poor example of disc space consumption. It's not hard to see where most of that free space comes from; high compression, and it's also not hard to see where that high compression hurts the game.

It's also a poor example because of its predecessor, Morrowind. The game took 900mb and was equally 'large' for its time. Then GTA San Andreas came along and munched up 4.5GB of disc space.

If anything, Oblivion is a strike against DVD, not for it.

11. hey69

hey69 i have a monster
    Veteran

the latest tombraider needs 7.5 gigabytes on my harddrive , eventhough it comes from a dvd5 disc..

12. Bobbler

Bobbler Shazbot!
    Veteran

How much of a penalty are we actually talking about when doing a layer switch? I could see developers trying to stay on a single layer at all costs even when having access to dual layer at almost no cost to them, depending on the penalties...

I've seen more than a few games ride the edge of a single layer...

13. zed

zed
    Veteran

textures at least will increase by 4x (perhaps even 16x)
    eg a 128x128 sized texture what looked acceptable on a ps2 will not look good in HD it will need to be increased 256x256 or 512x512. (ignoring compression/pallettes/texture generation ) also the number of bytes per pixel is gonna be higher on average. i easily see textures requiring 10x space then last gen

14. scooby_dooby

Legend

GTA: SA on XBOX is only 2.8GB. Less discspace than the previous 2 games , while also being a much larger game content wise. Probably not a great comparison, XBOX:pS2 games, as it seems PS2 games don't use nearly as much compression.

#174 scooby_dooby, Apr 25, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2006
  15. NANOTEC

Banned

You claimed there were no such tool as if you've worked for every company on the planet. Textures are static 2d images.

As for the rest of the others who say BD50 will be needed for movies, let's wait and see how many movies are released on BD50 and what and how they'll be using it.

16. rounin

Veteran

Extrapolating further with this example :)lol: ) we can conclude that GTA4 is going to need roughly at least 3 times Oblivion's size (Morrowind xbox -> GTA:SA xbox), making it around 13 gigs. But if we play around more :)lol: ), we see PS3 has the techinical edge this time, so we can say that 13 gigs minimum for PS3 and maybe 16 gigs for X360. In both cases, it wouldn't fit on a single DVD which would be quite sad for a large expansive game of this nature :twisted:

</ridicule of extrapolations>

17. DemoCoder

Veteran

BD50 will find its biggest usage in one of Hollywood's biggest cash cows: re-releasing old and current TV Series on DVD after their first run. How many discs are needed for Seinfeld, Star Trek Whatever, or 24 Season X?

A VC-1 or H.264 encoded stream at 12mbps could fit almost 10 hours to a disc. For SD content (like Seinfeld, authored in video) they could probably fit multiple seasons per disc at greater than DVD quality. Also, BR recorders for PVRs will benefit from BR's superior capacity.

Someone once said only 7 computers will be needed for the entire US and only 640k RAM was adequate.

18. aaaaa00

Regular

That will only happen if one BD50 is cheaper than two BD25 discs (packaging inclusive).

Also people have expressed a preference for multi-disk collections due to their higher "perceived value". So that's another factor content providers will have to weigh when considering releasing a dual BD25 vs a single BD50.

19. Ty

Ty Roberta E. Lee
    Veteran

No, I claimed that I'm pretty sure it does not exist so it was not a claim about every company.

Textures don't have to be static images. Furthermore when you have lighting, it changes the appearance of your textures.

Do your images deal with dynamic lighting? I thought you worked at photo lab or something?

Again, please explain what your automatic compression tool does so we can see if it can be applied to games.

20. rounin

Veteran

Why you continue to argue rationally with this nanotec person is beyond me. He has clearly shown that he is not in the industry, his arguments are weak, and the coherency of his arguments is simply shameful. You would think he would have dropped the point when Fafalada said

Its a dev's word versus that of a person who cant even make logical arguments (read earlier in this thread). I say we move on to another point already.

randycat99 likes this.