What's your opinion on Blu-ray technology?

Edge said:
What would be a typical compression ratio? Let's say a level with 700 MB of textures?

For good quality you're looking at 400-450MB. For average quality 300MB. Those are for 32-bit color textures.

Last edited by a moderator:
NANOTEC said:
For good quality you're looking at 400-450MB. For average quality 300MB.

Just curious, but you're getting additional compression over the S3TC compression? I assume, we are talking compression to the disk, and uncompression on loading, and not compression in memory, and uncompression during scene rendering as the texture is needed?

Edge said:
Just curious, but you're getting additional compression over the S3TC compression? I assume, we are talking compression to the disk, and uncompression on loading, and not compression in memory, and uncompression during scene rendering as the texture is needed?

Yes this is compression to image files for storage only.

zed said:
true but i reckon youll be very hard pressed to find a piece of music that wont compress at least 2:1

Most CDs I have ripped actually don't compress that well. They generally stay at the 60-75% range (compressed with FLAC -5).

Most CDs I have ripped actually don't compress that well. They generally stay at the 60-75% range (compressed with FLAC -5).
thanks my mistake, ok thats ~3:2, worse than i expected.
i wouldnt mind trying my hand at writing a lossless compression method (would be fun), ill prolly fail miserably though :)

NANOTEC said:
They are not a problem. Automatic batch compression is orthogonal to texture types with regards to 2d textures.

So it doesn't matter what the texture is?

NANOTEC said:
Sorry can't get into anymore detail than that, but that's the gist of it. We don't give away tools to competitiors.

I didn't know you were in the games industry.

Ty said:
So it doesn't matter what the texture is?

It does but you have to set the parameters for the type of texture beforehand.

I didn't know you were in the games industry.

FWIW I've worked for quite a few game companies. I initially started as a game tester, but already had experience with 3d modeling and some programming experience before that. I slowly started to build my resume after that. It's quite easy to move up the latter in the game business when you have 3d modeling talent and an understanding of game testing methodology etc. I also have a background in network engineering/administration so could've worked in the IT department too if I wanted to go there. Most game artist don't know anything about programming or game testing or IT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting.
What company do you work for? All the other vocal devs here have stated who they work for so to join that club I think you should too.

rabidrabbit said:
Interesting.
What company do you work for? All the other vocal devs here have stated who they work for so to join that club I think you should too.

Not to sound like an @ss, but I joined this forum to discuss gaming and technology in general. It's for pleasure and I try not to mix it with work. I've probably said too much already.

Yea, but usually it is not good for the credibility to say you work for a games company, and not being ready to prove it one way or other.
So yes, you did say too much already.

NANOTEC said:
It does but you have to set the parameters for the type of texture beforehand.

This makes sense. So are you batch compressing the same type of texture or are you batching various types at the same time?

And have you tried your tool on bump or lightmaps?

NANOTEC said:
FWIW I've worked for quite a few game companies. I initially started as a game tester, but already had experience with 3d modeling and some programming experience before that. I slowly started to build my resume after that.

Interesting. Do you work for one now though?

NANOTEC said:
It's quite easy to move up the latter in the game business when you have 3d modeling talent and an understanding of game testing methodology etc.

If you're an artist, then yes, talent helps to move up the ladder. Not sure how testing methodology would. Programming could be a big boon though especially if you can make Max/Maya plug ins.

NANOTEC said:
Most game artist don't know anything about programming or game testing or IT.

Nor should they imo (with the exception of programming/technical skills). Their time is better spent learning their tools (like the aforementioned Max or Maya and now ZBrush).

Back