What's your opinion on Blu-ray technology?

PSman

Banned
I personally feel that Blu-ray is a great technology that will gives developers a lot more space and freedom. There are people out there that bash and downplayed Blu-ray, saying how it isn't need etc..., I honestly don't see anything wrong with giving developers more space to work with. I'm really glad that Sony included Blu-Ray in the PS3, it'll definitely give the PS3 a sweet advanatge down the line. The only possible negative thing i see about Blu-ray is that, games on Blu-ray might suffer from slower load time, but then again we don't know how fast the PS3 Blu-ray drive is.

^All of this is just my personal opinion, I want to hear how you guys feel about Blu-ray. And sorry if this have been discuss to death

For me in the next years will be probably be useless (at least in a console, in the PC things may be different) it should be useless as I dont havea HDTV and I really doubt that space will be such a problem (of curse I may be wrong in this), so personally I would prefer if PS3 didnt had one as it make the cosole much more costly and , like you, probably lower loading time (which I hate).

I like the fact that 50 GB will contribute to those magazine demo disks having more content. More demos, more HD quality trailers, etc.

I like the fact that Sony is requiring making every game to be on a blu-ray disc, kinda sends a message that devs will put more content on the disc due to more space. Kinda getting more for your money, even if the extra content is just a bunch of "the making of" movies in the beginning. Id like to see more of that imo.

I also like the idea of having an entire season of 24 or prison break on 1 or 2 discs :D

But to your orginal question, yeah, I support Blu-ray.

Edge said:
I like the fact that 50 GB will contribute to those magazine demo disks having more content. More demos, more HD quality trailers, etc.

You won't be seeing 50GB discs anytime soon. If it's too expensive for BR movies then it will certainly be too expensive for disposable demo discs.

NANOTEC said:
You won't be seeing 50GB discs anytime soon. If it's too expensive for BR movies then it will certainly be too expensive for disposable demo discs.
No kidding, DVD's on magazines recently started showing up. Before was just regular CD's. Im sure hes just saying when it becomes the norm, we will atleast see 25GB discs. Which is alot more than what is used now. No?

Bad_Boy said:
I like the fact that Sony is requiring making every game to be on a blu-ray disc, kinda sends a message that devs will put more content on the disc due to more space. Kinda getting more for your money, even if the extra content is just a bunch of "the making of" movies in the beginning.

I don't think there will be more than 25GB of data unless it's HD MPEG2 FMVs. They'll probably use the extra space for redundant data for faster disc access.

I also like the idea of having an entire season of 24 or prison break on 1 or 2 discs :D

Once you past 1 disc, it doesn't really matter if it's 2 or 3 discs.

NANOTEC said:
I don't think there will be more than 25GB of data unless it's HD MPEG2 FMVs. They'll probably use the extra space for redundant data for faster disc access.
Are you saying that there will not be 50GB discs? or are you saying the magazine companies wont use more than 25GB?

NANOTEC said:
Once you past 1 disc, it doesn't really matter if it's 2 or 3 discs.
When your using 6-7 discs per season currently, yeah, i think it does. Id love for one case to hold 1 or 2 discs(dual disc box), that holds the entire season, its alot easier to deal with.

rounin said:
:?: When was this announced ?:oops:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/696/696057p1.html
As it turns out, all PlayStation 3 games will ship on Blu-ray to help prevent piracy.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/03/15/ps3-press-conference-it-begins/
Ken says that "all PlayStation 3 games will ship on Blu-ray [only!] to help prevent piracy," and that "initial BD-ROM production [is expected] to reach 2.5 million in Japan and Europe and 5 million in the US." Thanks, RobR and bv!

Bad_Boy said:
Are you saying that there will not be 50GB discs? or are you saying the magazine companies wont use more than 25GB?

No I'm talking about game discs here.

When your using 6-7 discs per season currently, yeah, i think it does. Id love for one case to hold 1 or 2 discs(dual disc box), that holds the entire season, its alot easier to deal with.

Well of course when you compare BR movie discs with DVD movie discs, but aren't you stating the obvious?

NANOTEC said:
No I'm talking about game discs here.
Oh, In that case, I never said anything about 50GB games. Hell Id be surprized if ps3 games used 20 GB any time soon, Im just saying all that extra space could be put to use, Midway/Epic have a habit of doing things like that. GOW & MGS3:subsistance are a titles I can remember off the top that have extra content like videos, extra mini games, concept art, etc.

NANOTEC said:
Well of course when you compare BR movie discs with DVD movie discs, but aren't you stating the obvious?
Im just refuting what you said, "Once you past 1 disc, it doesn't really matter if it's 2 or 3 discs."
And In my opinion, It does matter, like I said.

edit:
NANOTEC, hope im not jumping to any conclusions, but sounds like you dont support blu-ray too much. Whats your opinions on the format?

Last edited by a moderator:
Im just refuting what you said, "Once you past 1 disc, it doesn't really matter if it's 2 or 3 discs."
And In my opinion, It does matter, like I said.

Yeah it matters if you're comparing it to DVD which has like 3 times less capacity. That wasn't what I was talking about since that goes without saying. I was talking about the difference between 1 BR disc vs 2 and 3 BR discs eg once you go past 1 BR disc it doesn't really matter if it's 2 BR discs or 3 BR discs.

NANOTEC, hope im not jumping to any conclusions, but sounds like you dont support blu-ray too much. Whats your opinions on the format?

Well I'm more of a HD DVD guy, but with regards to BR for games, I don't think it's such a big deal. IMO most games won't have actual game content to warrant 15GBs let alone 25GB.

NANOTEC said:
Yeah it matters if you're comparing it to DVD which has like 3 times less capacity. That wasn't what I was talking about since that goes without saying. I was talking about the difference between 1 BR disc vs 2 and 3 BR discs eg once you go past 1 BR disc it doesn't really matter if it's 2 BR discs or 3 BR discs.
You can most likely fit 2 BR discs in a case, If it ever comes to that. Their are dual discs cases AFAIK. Only time we would see more than 1 BR disc would be on Season/Collection sets Anyways. But still, My point from the beginning was that I would rather have 1-2 discs than 6-7 which is a reason I support Blu-ray. You could say the same for HD-DVD, but I think Blu-ray has more potential limits for size on a disc. Cant remember the actual numbers off the top right now.

NANOTEC said:
Well I'm more of a HD DVD guy, but with regards to BR for games, I don't think it's such a big deal. IMO most games won't have actual game content to warrant 15GBs let alone 25GB.
While I agree with that in the beginning, I too doubt we will see many games reaching 25GBs. But what about years later. In the beginning of the ps2 games fit fine on regular cdr's, now that would be almost impossible seeing that most games ship on dvd's. Again, while most games in the beginning of the PS3 life cycle will most likely be under 20GB's(my guess, im just throwing a number out there), what about in the future? I just think its nice to know the PS3 can have 50GB discs if necessary. Never know what will happen, How much the games will change in 3-5 years, how much extra content devs will include, etc.

sony mainly want blu-disk for piracy issues ( giving the consumer a better experience is just a sideaffect )
i can see lots of storage being important (and making a huge diiference to game quality) if developers start using unique texturing on more things ( a difficult problem which ive been recently looking into ) eg a single 32k x 32k texture (depending on compression) takes 1gb.
when u think about that then dvd's dont seem to big, then again blu-disk is only a 4 or maybe 8x improvement (i forget exactly)

While I agree with that in the beginning, I too doubt we will see many games reaching 25GBs. But what about years later. In the beginning of the ps2 games fit fine on regular cdr's, now that would be almost impossible seeing that most games ship on dvd's. Again, while most games in the beginning of the PS3 life cycle will most likely be under 20GB's(my guess, im just throwing a number out there), what about in the future? I just think its nice to know the PS3 can have 50GB discs if necessary. Never know what will happen, How much the games will change in 3-5 years, how much extra content devs will include, etc.

Two DVDs for rare cases will suffice for nextgen imo just look at Xbox360. I don't see 3rd and 4th generation Xbox360 games going past 2 DVDs.

NANOTEC said:
Two DVDs for rare cases will suffice for nextgen imo just look at Xbox360. I don't see 3rd and 4th generation Xbox360 games going past 2 DVDs.
Im not talking about more than 2 disc games, or even 2 disc games, Im talking about not having enough space for what the developers would like to do so they ultimately have to "downgrade" their game or use some crazy compression techniques. But its Really yet to be seen. Even then though, would you rather have 1 disc or 2 discs for a game?

We really cant comment on the size of 3rd + 4th gen games on these next gen consoles when we havent even really hit "2nd gen" yet. Hell, two of the three consoles are not even out yet. All im saying is, based off history of the ps2(or the history of consoles period), Game sizes increased enough for the discs size to matter and make a difference. I just used PS2 for example because I think its the first console where the media actually changed during its life cycle, from CD to DVD in this case.

Basically, I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Im not talking about more than 2 disc games, or even 2 disc games, Im talking about not having enough space for what the developers would like to do so they ultimately have to "downgrade" their game or use some crazy compression techniques. But its Really yet to be seen. Even then though, would you rather have 1 disc or 2 discs for a game?

I don't care if a game is on 1 or 2 discs because I don't sit on my butt for 10 hours straight playing a game worringy about getting up and changing the disc. As to developers, very few games will require all the data on a single disc. It didn't happen last generation or this generation and there's nothing about next generation that points to a change.

We really cant comment on the size of 3rd + 4th gen games on these next gen consoles when we havent even really hit "2nd gen" yet. Hell, two of the three consoles are not even out yet. All im saying is, based off history of the ps2(or the history of consoles period), Game sizes increased enough for the discs size to matter and make a difference. I just used PS2 for example because I think its the first console where the media actually changed during its life cycle, from CD to DVD in this case.

Using PS2 as an example is flawed. For one, a dual layer DVD is 10 times the capacity of a CD. A 25GB BR disc is only 3 times the capacity of a DVD.

Last edited by a moderator:
NANOTEC said:
Using PS2 as an example is flawed. For one, a dual layer DVD is 10 times the capacity of a CD. A 25GB BR disc is only 3 times the capacity of a DVD.

And a dual layer Blu-Ray is 50Gb which is around 6 times the capacity :). In any event I think his point is that more allows for more freedom.

Using last generation to point that this generation may not require more storage may also be a flawed analogy, since last gen received more disc space than the generation before it ;). Each generation has used higher resolution textures, better models, music, bigger levels, more features, etc. And we also take it that they need more data redundancy to offer better loading for these features so that load times due to disc seeks / failed reads / extra compression in order to fit in stuff from other platforms :)D) do not become a problem.

But as someone already said, we will see :)

Back