Unofficially RSX = G80

Status
Not open for further replies.
The additional work that would last into 2007 would be for getting the design up and running on a .65nm process. For .90nm that work is already finished.

Well, whatever you want to believe, but frankly I think what you put up in post #78 - if serious - is out of control. That is definitely *not* what RSX will be.

For goodness sakes, one friend of mine a while back called me up (he does not have internet access and knows nothing about hardware) to ask which console is going to be the most powerful because that is the one he wants to purchase, because he is only going to purchase one of them.

so, what did you tell him? and what would you tell him if he called you today?

The way I see things unfolding is similar to how things went with the PS2. The CPU and GPU are large sized dies being manufactured on a very mature process. Then do a die shrink as soon as possible.

PS3 CELL and RSX = .90nm aggressivly large dies on a very mature process

6 month later = shrink the dies to .65nm

If the way Sony did the PS2 worked so well in the long run, why would Sony change their methodology? Also this time around the PS3 can be a triple format win. A standard for video games, along with the Blu-ray optical standard. The third would be online services if enough people decide to use it to connect to the broadband world.

The fact is consumers deserve to know the specs of a product they wish to purchase.
You must be living in a very different country to me, my friend! I have here a Wacom graphics table. I don't know what processor it has inside it at all. I've an MP3 player, with no idea what clock speed it's processor runs at. The monitor I'm looking at has various electronic components, none of which I have clock speeds nor architectural specifications for.

The amount of specs consumers deserve are those that describe the product. If you're buying an MP3 player, you deserve to know how much storage it has and what music formats it can use, for comparing products. You don't deserve to know the hardware details of how it works. If you're buying a PC, you want to know comparative performance specs (misleading as they are) to compare models. But you don't deserve the full details. Pop into PC World or wherever and see a PC with CPU and GPU clock speeds and RAM amounts, and then demand to know what motherboard it has, chipset, BIOS revision, and other architectural specifications...

You also deserve to have equivalent specs, so comparing the contrast ratio of one TV to another TV by given figures is accurate. But we don't get that. Specs aren't uniform. The numbers given are often fairly bogus. One reference to Gigaflops might count different operations to another reference, and so you can situations where a component advertised as 2 gigaflops actually performs worse than the rical component advertised as 1.5 gigaflops. If you are reliant on numbers to understand things, you won't understand much at all.

As a consumer I don't care if Sony is obligated to give the specs or not. If they don't give the specs by launch I will join up with all the other voices and peacefully and respectfully demand Sony to give us the information.
How are you going to do that, and do you really think they'll listen?

I also doubt many people wanting a PS3 will boycott it on account of not having the details of RSX made available. Whether it's a G70 derivative, or G80, or has 48 kb of texture cache, or 128 kb, no one can expect Sony to offer up any information they don't want to.

Quite frankly, I'm a consumer so I could care less what is best for Sony. I care what is best for me the consumer and part of that is knowing the specifications and facts about a product I am about to purchase. I'm not about to bow down and worship their products and blindly purchase them.
Well if all you do is buy a box of components, I can see your point. For 99.999% of the buying public, if it has the games they like the look of, and they are willing to pay the price, that's enough for the sale. Or do you think the majority of people only bought a PS2 once they had confirmed the GS runs at 147 MHz and a MIPS R3000A provided the IO controller and a BC CPU for PS1 games?

it's about time we start getting some kind of confirmation about the true nature of the RSX.
You can ask all you want, but constantly repeating that you demand information when no-one obliged to give it, is getting tiresome IMO. If you can't live without RSX's fine detail, you're going to live a stressed and miserable existence.

People do care about the specs.
Some people care about specs, and find metrics are the only way they can make decisions. But most people don't. Some people care about the numbers printed on trains that pass through a station on any given day. But most people don't. I too have met people who use numbers to understand everything in the world, and I thank God they are very much in the minority. Most people who rely on numbers have no concept of 'big picture' thinking and don't really understand how those numbers relate to what a product actually does. I can only say of your friend who wanted to know what console was the most powerful, I hope the types of games he likes playing are coming to it. Too bad if he likes Pokemon, as there's no way he's getting a Wii.

I wonder how the game console market even survived before rumble came along, some 10 years ago...:rolleyes:

Take a game like Assassin's Creed, where the goal is next-gen gameplay. As you flee into a crowd after an assassination, with rumble you'll feel every collision with the crowd and during sword fight feel every clash of swords. Or as you climb across different surfaces you'll feel the different crevices. Unless Sony comes to their senses, this won't happen with a PS3 controller. It's a totally lame decision.

So if it isn't going to be the G80 or G71, could it be the mythical G78 they're going to use? :-|

No. We already know the answer to this. RSX = NV47. END OF STORY.

beating_dead_horse.gif

I believe most of us are having fun with the ignorance (or fanboi dreams) that abounds... :yep2:

I think Digi is having a little fun.

(I have to admit I'm astonished this thread has reached 6 pages in the time it has...)

Oh common Dave, you know everyone likes a good conspiracy! Just ignore the NV47 slides, 24 Pixel Shader slides, and the RSX whitepapers and you too can join in! :runaway:

You know, mocking someone, who clearly believes what he is saying, is not cool. Especially from a site that thinks they're setting some standards...

You must be living in a very different country to me, my friend! I have here a Wacom graphics table. I don't know what processor it has inside it at all. I've an MP3 player, with no idea what clock speed it's processor runs at. The monitor I'm looking at has various electronic components, none of which I have clock speeds nor architectural specifications for.
Shifty, you're wasting your time pitching this argument with the guy.. I tried reasoning with him - with the very same argument (ie specs for processors in TVs, MP3 players, DVD players etc) - over in the forums they have over at www.ninjatheory.com.. he hears only what he wants to hear. And in response speaks nothing but chuff about some God-given right to know detailed technical specifications.

To babcat/MILR, I've said this before, but man.. you really need to get a grip. Sony have already said that it's NV47 based. That is *it*. End of story. And before you take someone elses quotes out of context, I'm not even sure what Barbarian is on about with regards to the normalisation ops.. NV class hardware has had 'free' FP16 normalise for an age.. it's nothing new. Developers have fairly detailed specifications of RSX available to them.. and with the current level of direct access to the GPU that developers get, magically transitioning to a different architecture (which is what G80 is, if you've ever read any of the threads about it) is a complete non-starter. If you want that detailed information, your options are simple.. either become a developer :)shock:), or get one of your well-informed-but-surprisingly-always-completely-wrong insider friends to leak the docs to you. I asked you this over at the NT forums, but what specifications do you *actually want to see*? How can you apply some kind of bizarre mapping of (for example) what a particular architectural detail/quirk does to the end-user experience of playing a game on PS3? From your posts both here and there, I find it hard you'd be able to do anything with the 'full specifications' other than repeat them parrot-style ("parrot-style.. parrot-style") on this and every other board you frequent.

You can ask all you want, but constantly repeating that you demand information when no-one obliged to give it, is getting tiresome IMO. If you can't live without RSX's fine detail, you're going to live a stressed and miserable existence.
And it's this constant ranting about in-depth technical specifications (and the constant demands that Ninja Theory staff get Sony to release information) that got his NT forum threads locked. Sure, this thread was started by someone else (sorry, Nerve-Damage.. this isn't a pop at you), but his ability to keep a bogus thread like this alive is just as annoying to me..

..hence this somewhat wordy response.. :/

Cheers,
Dean

Got a quick question

Wouldn't adding a G80 in the PS3 be a BAD thing? instead of good? Since the CELL is already a pretty complicated architechure, wouldn't adding a completely new GPU make life even hardder for developers?

You know, mocking someone, who clearly believes what he is saying, is not cool. Especially from a site that thinks they're setting some standards...
Mocking people isn't cool (except politicians. And lawyers), but babcat seems unwilling to listen to all the input he gets. If you look at the threads (s)he's been posting in, it's gone from appearing a curiosity into RSX to becoming an incessant need to prove there's something special about RSX, despite constantly being told the contrary. Babcat has always remained civil and polite, but that doesn't stop him/her from getting annoying by asking the same questions even when answered numerous times. Especially to the point of badgering devs under NDA in the opinion (s)he has some cosmic right to that information.

Shifty, you're wasting your time pitching this argument with the guy.. I tried reasoning with him - with the very same argument (ie specs for processors in TVs, MP3 players, DVD players etc) - over in the forums they have over at www.ninjatheory.com.. he hears only what he wants to hear. And in response speaks nothing but chuff about some God-given right to know detailed technical specifications.

To babcat/MILR, I've said this before, but man.. you really need to get a grip. Sony have already said that it's NV47 based. That is *it*. End of story. ...
..hence this somewhat wordy response.. :/

Cheers,
Dean

[/thread] :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back